• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So I may have solved my battery drain issue...

Moe - I have been doing exactly the same as you. My battery life has been 8-9 hours give or take. Is this what you're seeing?

Trowpa -

I stop charging the phone @ about 9pm and applied these setting at about 1030ish last night and went to bed. Got up about 6am and starting messing with the phone again and do my normal weekend routine. I have not charged the DINC since last night. So at this point its been roughly 17 and half hours since the last charge. About 7 hours of which the DINC was in sleep mode. Right now my battery is showing 65% after about 8 and half hours of normal use since this morning not to mention the hour and half I fiddle with it before going to bed last night.

Although I remember being pleased with it, I cant recall the battery percentage change from when I went to sleep and got up this morning and checked the phone. So I'll have to go through another recharge cycle to give a more accurate account. Additionally, I want to go through a normal workday to have an even better assessment. This being my first smart phone, I have to take the word of others for battery life comparison. But overall, with these changes I really feel the battery life has improved.

Upvote 0
My experience with battery life after having the phone for one day: Having second thoughts about keeping the phone.
For example: After the third full charge, took the phone out with me this morning:
9:00 AM @ 100%.
Major activities: checking emails, surfing the web.
9:35 AM @77%
How could that be????
2:00 PM @ 21%
Major activities between 9:35 AM and 2:00: 1 phone call, more email checking, and web surfing.

I had made the adjustment recommended in this thread before seeing it; the battery was already going, going, gone, so will have to check it out after another full charge.

Notes: Screen timeout - 1 min; to best of my knowledge (based on battery usage details from phone), only basic apps consumed the battery, i.e., Android system 60+%, Internet and phone standby - negligible. Also, GPS is off.

Reactions: TBolt and havaloc
Upvote 0
I have had similar complaints about the batter life and will give this a try. example: this AM to this afternoon
5AM: 100%
Rounding at the hospital (no phone calls, no data usage, NOTHING except three SMS)
11AM: 20%
Noon: 10%
Now (12:30): DEAD!!

And I forgot my charger!!!! So hopefully I can sneak home and pick that up. I had not made any battery saving changes to the phone--so will try and see how this helps.

BB

Reactions: havaloc
Upvote 0
I've done what was suggested in this thread, plus what I found on another forum (and posted in Tips and Tricks: http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-incredible/70506-gsm-vs-cdma-battery-life.html) and now, according to Juice Plotter, my battery drain is almost a flat line when the phone is sleeping. It used to drop pretty steadily, even when sleeping. It doesn't drop quite as quickly when surfing, etc. but I've been mostly on wifi today, so that probably helps.

Upvote 0
I'm going to try the change listed here: http://androidforums.com/support-tr...lved-my-battery-drain-issue-2.html#post658415 and then report back. Here is what my day looked like: 10:37 AM 100% 11:40 AM 74% 12:00 PM 64% (updated the PRL per this thread) 12:30 55% (cell standby was 38%, phone idle 36%, Android sys 17% display 5%, k9 4%) 1:26 PM 37% (stats very similar to above) 2:00 PM 20% (stats very similar to above) 2:16 PM 14% (stats very similar t above) and I had to recharge So in less than 4 hours I went from 100% to 14%. I made 1 call, checked email about 5 times and looked up movie times once (I don't think this is very heavy usage). Sorry, I can't get my usage to format decent and the link to this forums bbcode is not working.

Upvote 0
Not true. Verizon initially announced this phone underclocked so the battery life would be longer. I bet, google or HTC had the problem with underclocking the phone. Although, I would sacrifice a little power to see an improvement of battery life.

Actually what you said is not true. Verizon never announced this phone underclocked. That was a crazy rumor that could have been started by someone knowing absolutely nothing and was obviously completely false.

Verizon didn't even acknowledge this phone till they announced it a couple weeks ago with the specs.

Reactions: dbgoolsby
Upvote 0
Observations after setting always mobile data to off and rebooting:

HTC weather app didn't automatically update, it said "no weather data" and I had to tap it to get it to update.

Also, my facebook widget isn't updating. It has had the same person's update there for four hours even though when I click it to go to the news feed, there are newer posts. I removed the widget and added it back and it still shows the old one. I can't confirm yet that this is due to the always mobile-data.

Can someone else turn mobile data always on to off and reboot (hold the power button and select power down) and report if the same update issues occur?

Upvote 0
I haven't noticed this. My weather and other widgets are updating, including Facebook and Friendstream.

I will say my battery life is much better today, but I think it's more that I'm in a better area for network than my office. I'm at hour 12 have 3 bars left after some heavy use including taking video and pictures, playing replica island, browsing the web and uploading video and pictures.

Upvote 0
I bit the bullet and did a factory reset about 2 hours ago. After the reset I only installed 4 apps (ConnectBot, KeePassDroid, Astro file manager and K-9). I've been running 2+ hours now and I'm still at 90% batter and it's running very cool (battery was hot before). I'm not sure which of the apps that I installed before was killing it but that seemed to be the issue for me.

Upvote 0
I did this, but I also ran my phone hard. I've played as many games as possible browsed the web, checked out some stuff on Facebook and then listened to music until the battery pooped out and the phone shut itself off. I pulled it off the charger at 5 PM (not quite 100%, but was charging from 0%), fooled with it a bit, worked, got home around 11 and played with it on and off until about 4:30. I got about 4 REAL hours of use out of it. Hell, when I got off of work the phone was down to about 75/80% and I hadn't touched it for 5 hours.

Once I finish conditioning it, at least the way I've conditioned everything with a battery for the last 10 years, then I will decide how bad the battery sucks. Until then... GPS is on and everything is super synced, woo!

Upvote 0
I did this and got better battery life but not as good as I though I should so this am I checked my battery level and it said the app Shop Savvy used 18% of my battery even though I have never used this program, I just DL to try it out sometime at the store. I read that this program was using my GPS even though the program wasn't running. Not sure why but I disabled my GPS and am charging it now. Might be other peoples problems also

Upvote 0
Yea, I'm still rocking at 65% battery after the phone being off charge for nearly 13 hours. Granted I was sleeping a chunk of that time, but before the reset I could not get 4 hours. The fun part now will be figuring out which app caused the problem (or worse an interaction between 2 programs).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones