• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Starcraft on Android?

Seems to me the biggest problem facing gaming on phones is GUI/controls. From a hardware perspective the phones are as good as a low end desktop PC and have the muscle to hold up the code, but how do you take a game designed to be run with a keyboard and mouse, and use it with a touchscreen-only piece of hardware. The mod scene has shown that a micro-bluetooth mouse and keyboard combo could do wonders for increasing functionality of the phones, but it would take mainstream support in order for a variety of hardware options to become available. I'm thinking silicon roll-up keyboards and micro laptop mice; something portable enough to fit in a pocket. Anyone know when Google will bring this kind of support to Android?

Upvote 0
I would love this..

CAP201102071611.jpg

I got it to boot and move. So close yet so far..

Upvote 0
Just as an aside, I remember reading an interview with Mike Morheim from Blizzard (I think it was him), about porting SC or Diablo to either a console or iPhone, and he said in not so many words, they would only do it if it kept the standards they work by and even though they've tried, it's not going to happen.

The main problem is controls, and screen real estate. It would have to be far more simplified to enable touch controls to work well-all of that cramped on 3.5 - 4 inch screen would be horrendous.

And aside from a couple of apps like the WoW Auction House and account key for battle.et, they've shown no interest in handheld devices. Hell, they've even ignored consoles for the most part.

and I'd be very careful as a dev trying to bring it out-Blizz simply loves sending out cease and desist letters.

Upvote 0
^ exactly.

I barely think I have enough room to play starcraft on a 24 inch monitor (both one and two, though I almost exclusively play two these days), I use a full keyboard, and a gaming mouse. How do you implement right click other than a click on virtual button then click on screen? How do you accurately select units, use shortcuts, or have any micro game whatsoever? I think my Droid x is barely big or accurate enough to use as a minimap.

I don't want to sound like a douche about it, but there's a reason that blizzard games are only on pc. Even consoles don't have enough buttons or a good enough control system.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones