• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stream to TV from HTC Desire?

Pinmac1

Android Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2011
UK
I would like to be able to stream from my HTC Desire (not HD) to my TV but haven't been able to find out if this is possible. It seems that the Desire is not DLNA-enabled although my Sony TV is.

What I would like to do is to have something eg a TV show, streaming from the internet onto the Desire via something like the TV Shows app and show this on the TV. Ideally this would be wireless but, if not, is there a way to do it wired and, if so, what cable would I need. The HD only has a mini-USB socket so I'm not sure if what I'm asking can be done.

Alternatively, could I connect my laptop to my TV? This has an HDMI socket so could be an easier alternative.

I have been searching on this for a while now and getting myself very confused. Grateful for any help.

Streaming from your phone?
There's an app called ShareMe which is apparently a DLNA server. I've just tried it with my Panasonic TV, and whilst it will see the media, nothing actually plays. Also I don't think you can easily use DLNA to stream 'live' content only files.

Much easier would be to use your laptop via the HDMI port. There's a wealth of software like XBMC, Boxee etc that is designed for just this -connecting your PC to your telly. Boxee is specifically designed to pull together all the various internet TV sources into one place, XBMC is aimed more at your existing media collection.

Edit: Or of course, you could just install a DNLA server on the Laptop. If you're running Win 7, you've already got one.

Reactions: Pinmac1
Upvote 0
I am guessing you activate it on the phone and then do a media server search in the PS3 film/photo/music menus. This is how I locate my DLNA NAS if it "falls off" the PS3 radar thanks to my uber-flakey Virgin SuperHub.

Yeah while since I set mine up but my PC (win7) streams all my media to the PS3 through media player.
I assume with any DLNA device you activate the DLNA program and then it should up as a media server in the PS3 menu.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones