1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

Telus Galaxy S2 (T989D) Ultimate Root and Optimization Guide with Steps

Last Updated:

1. ls1geezer

ls1geezer Member

Just a quick question guys,is there a way to do a full backup (image) of our phones without rooting and if so what software would you recomend?
    Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

No there is not. To create an image you need access to system files including app data and system data. Why not root?

You can use Kies to backup user data (messages, apps, photos etc..) but this is not a true backup.
    ls1geezer likes this.
  3. ls1geezer

ls1geezer Member

Thank Blue1k, I'll follow your guide.
  4. Tackle2

Tackle2 New Member

Hey Blue1k thanks for the tutorial on rooting this phone! I've had it for a while now and I feel like I could get a bit more out of this awesome phone. Also I love seeing that you are still around here helping people that need it even though you don't have the phone anymore.
  5. abhi87

abhi87 New Member

Hello Blue1k,
    I bought a Telus Samsung Galaxy S2 X in the first week of December and the phone was working fine for about a month.Recently, I started hearing a noise from the phone and it appeared that something had gone loose inside the phone.I spoke to the Samsung Customer care helpline and was redirected to a Samsung service centre here in Montreal.After explaining the problem with the phone the person at the help desk said whatsoever the problem is,they will flash the firmware and repair the issue for which I agreed.After about 2 hours I get the phone hearing that the problem cannot be solved and I found that the firmware that they flashed had bugs for which they say, since I unlocked the phone there might be some virus in the phone and hence it is behaving abnormally.I unlocked the phone from Mobieincanada which was working well until the Samsung service centre guys had their hands on it.
    After a long discussion the service centre guy says that all he can do is exchange my phone with a refurbished phone and cannot help me in any other manner.I paid close to 700CAD for a new phone which manufacturing problems and was further spoilt at the service centre and they say that they are helping me in providing a refurbished phone which looks physically abused and in no way closer to the mint condition of my mobile.I wrote to the Samsung's President's office and they too say that all that they can offer is a refurbished phone.

Problems apart,I myself flashed the stock Telus ROM posted on your guide onto the phone assuming that the problems with the firmware would be solved.The flash was successful but the problems still persist.To name a few:
    1.The lock screen in the phone does not function.
    2.If the power button is held for about a second the phone switches off without the standard options such as flight mode,silent mode and turn off menus.
    3.When the screen is turned on, the bluetooth turns on by itself and the screen time-out automatically sets to 10 mins.

I understand that this is a lengthy post and is in no way related to your guide for Rooting.Please suggest me if there is a way by which I can solve the issue.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you
  6. Cabanon

Cabanon Member

whine even more to your carrier. that is no way normal. even flashed, the physical situation shouldnt happened. tried to unroot it and go back to them.
  7. ironchefff

ironchefff New Member

Thanks for the guide Blue1K! It has been beyond helpful for me.

One request that I have is... could you please upload a copy of Mr. X's Rooted Telus Rom with CIQ removed? The link in the XDA thread no longer works.
  8. dinodog

dinodog New Member

I'm a total newbie, trying to follow what seems to be pretty easy instructions, but I didn't get very far. I can't seem to find the file called recovery.tar.

Anyone know where to find it. And, if not, how do I stop this process safely. My phone says "downloading" Do not turn off target, and Odin is just sitting there with a yellow bar.
  9. ironchefff

ironchefff New Member

The recovery.tar file is the third link in the list of files required from the first post. It's labelled 'Clockmod Recovery for T989 (flash with Odin)'.
  10. dinodog

dinodog New Member

Thanks, I figured that out a few minutes ago.
    Everything else seemed to go as planned, but at the last second in the backup it said there was no sd card. So restoring would not work.

Do you suggest I just through all the steps again?
    I re-booted, but I don't see a "Superuser" tab or icon.
  11. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

When you boot into recovery do you still have the clockwork mod recovery? If so, then no.

I would just get an sdcard. Put it in. Then boot back into recovery and do the backup step (step 11) and then continue with the permissions fix and rooting step.
  12. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

No worries. Sorry I haven't been around much in the last few weeks. Work has been killing me :(
  13. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

Not too sure what you mean?
  14. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

PM me and I can guide you through it. Quasi changed his theme so all his original links are gone :(
  15. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

As requested:

Stock Telus KJ3 modem is now listed on the original post. This for users who upgraded their modem but want the stock Telus modem back. Flashable with recovery (rooted only).

Thanks goes to Mr. X for creating this modem as a flashable zip.
  16. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

Mr. X Rom uploaded to my server as XDA links are down. Again, thanks to Mr. X for making such a great rom.

See first page for link
  17. wildozer

wildozer Member

When do you think a new version of beastmod will come out?
  18. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

The last time I used the phone I thought beastmod was dead because Melvin "sold" his phone to get a Galaxy Nexus.
  19. wildozer

wildozer Member

ohh well isnt that great.. what other rom is just as good?
  20. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

I really liked Mr.X's rom the best. Juggernaut is not bad too.
  21. wildozer

wildozer Member

I use to have Juggernaut, but lost my phone got a new one installed beast. Every now and then my phone either freezes up and none of the buttons work or just random restarts. So im thinking of either Mr.X or Juggernaut, but i want a rom thats updated constantly.
  22. k786

k786 New Member

Great guide bro very easy to follow.. Was rooted in a matter of minutes
  23. NateDawgg88

NateDawgg88 New Member

Hello Blue1k.

I just wanted to clarify a few things.
    I just got Mr.X's rom, do you load it with Odin? or use the CWM?

A simple set of directions would be awesome, otherwise I would just follow the instructions provided.

Thanks for a wonderful guide.
  24. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

Rooted!

Thanks for the guide. :)
  25. Blue1k

Blue1k Well-Known Member

It's with cwm. Guide is on front page :)