• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The little things...(2.2 Update addons/changes)

I have the jawbone also, all i do is hit the 'talk' button on the jawbone and when I hear the beep and "speak now" I say "Call Home" and it calls.
Yeah, mine is buggy though..and it's the "noise cancellation" button...:eek:

^ The Jawbone has great reception but it is the most uncomfortable thing to wear for more than an hour so i gave mine away
I have mine on ALL day and actually forget it's even there...But, I will say, I wear it without the earloop.

I couldn't figure out why I never got the popup until I saw the pic posted a few msgs back, but I have autoplay turned off and it appears to be an autoplay thing. For those who this trick isn't working for, try turning autoplay off.
Can someone explain what that whole process is for because when I connect my phone to my mac, nothing happens that didn't already happen in 2.1

Upvote 0
I thought when they announced 2.2 there was a way to select certain apps to NEVER update. Anyone know anything about this?

I've been meaning to put a hold on Google Voice (so I still have the unlimited calling trick), Shazam (because I don't like how they capped new users to 5/month, despite myself being an old user), and a few free apps which decided to add ads after the fact.

Anyone have any clues?

Upvote 0
When I try to watch full TV episodes on CBS.com, I get a message saying my device doesn't support video streaming. How can I fix this? I installed 2.2 this morning so Flash 10.1 should be installed and working. I can see it in the Apps list on my Dinc.
A few things ...

1 - it's possible that the site either is simply not compatible with mobile devices or blocks them from videos (a la Hulu)

2 - You may have to "activate" the flash if it isn't set to automatically display (much of the time it's just a waste of bandwidth downloading flash ads). Go to the browser settings, look for "plug in" settings and you should be able to choose flash off, on demand, or always on.

Upvote 0
A few things ...

1 - it's possible that the site either is simply not compatible with mobile devices or blocks them from videos (a la Hulu)

2 - You may have to "activate" the flash if it isn't set to automatically display (much of the time it's just a waste of bandwidth downloading flash ads). Go to the browser settings, look for "plug in" settings and you should be able to choose flash off, on demand, or always on.

My plug ins are set to "always on".

Perhaps I should just test on another website. Can anyone suggest a one that allows mobile devices?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
i was using the compact qwerty cause the regular qwerty in is too small in portrait mode. they changed the compact qwerty and its SOOOOOO much better the moved the "XT9/ABC" key to the bottom left and speard it out more i havent hit the "XT9/ABC" by accident yet

I think the new T9 keyboard is SOOOOO much worse. They made the keys bigger, but I never had a problem with that, but they took away the '?/!' button...so now if I want to put a ? or ! in I have to go 2 screens deep.

Upvote 0
Since a factory reset, post 2.2 update, mine seems to be running really well with only two exceptions I've noticed.

1. My music skips from time to time. Not constantly, but once every 5 minutes or so I'll get a little hiccup. Never happened before. This is with the stock HTC music app.

2. On websites, I sometimes get a really big slowdown all the sudden. If I'm typing in a form, like posting to a forum or some such, I'll get the really bad keyboard lag (before I factory reset, I was getting this all over the place, but now it only sometimes happens on websites). Also, scrolling/zooming will be really slow and laggy. I believe this is probably only on sites that are using flash. It's not all the time, so I'm wondering if it's possibly some advertisements that may be the culprit since they vary from time to time when viewing the same page.

Adobe's site says I'm running 10.1.72.7 is that the latest available? Where can I get an update if there is one, it doesn't appear to exist in the market.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Since a factory reset, post 2.2 update, mine seems to be running really well with only two exceptions I've noticed.

1. My music skips from time to time. Not constantly, but once every 5 minutes or so I'll get a little hiccup. Never happened before. This is with the stock HTC music app.

2. On websites, I sometimes get a really big slowdown all the sudden. If I'm typing in a form, like posting to a forum or some such, I'll get the really bad keyboard lag (before I factory reset, I was getting this all over the place, but now it only sometimes happens on websites). Also, scrolling/zooming will be really slow and laggy. I believe this is probably only on sites that are using flash. It's not all the time, so I'm wondering if it's possibly some advertisements that may be the culprit since they vary from time to time when viewing the same page.

Adobe's site says I'm running 10.1.72.7 is that the latest available? Where can I get an update if there is one, it doesn't appear to exist in the market.

Thanks.

The most current flash version is 10.1.92.x I believe ... I don't have a link but a quick search here ought to yield a link to the apk.

Reactions: jfunk
Upvote 0
OK so after a week or 2 of having this update.. i have found some good things and some bad things.
good things include:
-better battery life,
-faster snappier OS,
-better gmail client (though still not good enough),
-turning screen to either side.
Bad things:
-battery charges slower (installed a hydra kernel and it seems to be fixed)
-turning to both sides seems buggy: it seems too sensitive now and is sideways alot when im not turning it at all.
-pandora does not come back on after phonecalls or navigation is done using soundcard.

HAS ANYONE FOUND A SOLUTION TO THE PANDORA ISSUE?
i really want to be able to play pandora while using navigator. it was a really huge plus to using the phone as a gps device that i could stream pandora through the car speakers and it would pause to tell me my next turn.

Upvote 0
Does anyone else have a problem with Y5 after the update? I find that even if no Wifi network is connected, my wifi stays on. Before, I believe, the Wifi would turn off when not connected.

Anyone else?

Mine never shut off automatically before the update, but if this bothers you, you can try the app called WeFi. You can also use the power control widget, just keep it handy on one of the home screens.

Reactions: izzy35
Upvote 0
You guys do realize that it is supposed to, right? If you go out of range of a cell, wifi is supposed to turn off..Isn't that the point of the app?? :thinking:

No, it's not. And what app are you referring to?

If your wifi shut off every time you left wifi service area, it wouldn't be able to reconnect to another wifi access point until you manually turned it back on. You know it can't detect wifi access points without being "on" right?

Upvote 0
Little changes in 2.2:
Motorola Droid's Power control widget now has an "A" setting for Automatic on the Screen Brightness section... The Call Log now groups calls that happen in a single day so they can be collapsed or expanded... I did a video on some of the new stuff called "Android 2.2 Update Official Droid 2.2 Overview - Flash Included" find it on YouTube or my website.

Upvote 0
No, it's not. And what app are you referring to?

If your wifi shut off every time you left wifi service area, it wouldn't be able to reconnect to another wifi access point until you manually turned it back on. You know it can't detect wifi access points without being "on" right?

You're 100% WRONG...Y5 turns the wifi on and off, which is what I'm talking about. It's the whole point of the application.

Upvote 0
You're 100% WRONG...Y5 turns the wifi on and off, which is what I'm talking about. It's the whole point of the application.

first off, hes definitly not 100% wrong...
your wifi-radio cannot detect wireless networks when it is turned off.

this app (just looked it up) turns the wifi off when you leave a wifi hotspot. and then based on location (using wireless network towers not gps) it turns it back on when you are near networks you have connected to in the past.

it wasnt clear to those who dont know the app y5 in your original post that you were taking about an app.

EDIT: since this app uses wireless network towers if you connect to wifi networks that are near 2 or more towers then you may have issues with the app not turning the wifi on until it finds the tower that it is associating itself with as the location of the wifi network. also you may find that the app will turn on wifi when you are not near the wifi network (such as when you go for a jog in the park near a coffee shop (wifi) that you sometimes goto.

i am installing this app right now to test it out for myself. it sounds like a great idea :)

Upvote 0
Does anyone else have a problem with Y5 after the update? I find that even if no Wifi network is connected, my wifi stays on. Before, I believe, the Wifi would turn off when not connected.
This wasn't clear that I was talking about Y5? sorry if it wasn't...

first off, hes definitly not 100% wrong...
your wifi-radio cannot detect wireless networks when it is turned off.

this app (just looked it up) turns the wifi off when you leave a wifi hotspot. and then based on location (using wireless network towers not gps) it turns it back on when you are near networks you have connected to in the past.
If what you wrote is accurate, then you just proved my point...I was referring to what Y5 does as an app, which shows that his point, although NOT wrong regarding the Wifi functionality, was wrong about what "Y5" does, which was the WHOLE point of the post and my inquiry :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones