• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The little things...(2.2 Update addons/changes)

After receiving the update, it appears that the only way to unlock the screen is to use the slider. Some folks have posted here and suggested that this button function (and a great many others) can be achieved by adding Widget Locker from the Marketplace. However, recent reviews of Widget Locker are indicating that Widget Locker might be causing lags on 2.2 updated devices. We'll be holding off on that DL.

On a separate issue, I'm pleased that the optical trackball functions much better that it did with 2.1

Upvote 0
Can someone tell me how to use this...I have a Jawbone headset and not sure how to activate it or the phone to use the feature. Thanks!:)

I use mine with a bluetooth speaker. Once the speaker is paired with the phone, I hold down a button on the speaker for a couple of seconds until it beeps. Then the phone says (through the speaker) 'speak now', and I say (for instance) 'Call home'. The phone will verify what I said ('Call home at home) and then dial. For my contacts I have them last name first, and I have to say it the same way ('Call Smith John'). I'm in the process of practicing to see how to speak to get the voice recognition more accurate.

Anyway, I would imagine using your headset should be somewhat similar. Hope that helps!

Reactions: izzy35
Upvote 0
Has anyone found a way to get the bloatware window from popping up on the computer every time the phone is connected? You know the one asking to install drivers for the less than useful Verizon Vcast Media Manager?:mad:
+1 I would just install the sh*t software but what do you know... it doesn't work on 64bit systems... Figures:mad:

Everything seems much faster to me, and in general, I am enjoying Froyo. I noticed a faster battery drain, but it's probably because I was playing with my phone and tinkering around more than I usually do.
Mine too and i think i know what the problem is (for me anyway) Mlb at bat is NOT playing nice with froyo. If i forget to kill it with systempanel it will run the cpu 100%. If/when i notice, i'll kill it and it will start itself back up (didn't use to do that) but then it will behave. Seems several apps just aren't playing well with the way froyo IMO

Reactions: NOLA_Droid
Upvote 0
Can't say I notice a difference in charging. But I am definitely getting more bars where I normally don't. To everyone using the ##778 or whatever 3g hotspot method. Rooting is almost easier then using that method. Better than being "caught" and later charged

Rooting is the same as doing the edit as far as what the settings look like in ##778. A rooted phone doesn't have the dun and the dot either. How would you think rooting is easier than doing this edit? It takes less than 2 min tops. Do they have rooting down to two minutes? I don't think this edit will ever have a chance of bricking your phone either... just sayin.

Upvote 0
So, is this visable to Verizon and do they turn start billing you for the feature? :thinking:

Your internet use will only appear as if you were surfing on your phone. Just don't start downloading full length movies and streaming movies or they may question how you are using so much data only on your phone. I use mine when surfing the net in my car at lunch using a netbook. Also great for downloading mail with Outlook on a laptop or Netbook. I had people at work wanting to use my hotspot so they could try Facetime on their new Iphone 4's LMAO.

Upvote 0
After receiving the update, it appears that the only way to unlock the screen is to use the slider. Some folks have posted here and suggested that this button function (and a great many others) can be achieved by adding Widget Locker from the Marketplace. However, recent reviews of Widget Locker are indicating that Widget Locker might be causing lags on 2.2 updated devices. We'll be holding off on that DL.

On a separate issue, I'm pleased that the optical trackball functions much better that it did with 2.1

NO LOCK works really well for that in 2.2

No Lock - Android app on AppBrain

Upvote 0
+1 I would just install the sh*t software but what do you know... it doesn't work on 64bit systems... Figures:mad:

I am running 32 bit Vista. I installed it and it keeps coming up. It also shows up a drive now when I open my computer. Three different drives. Internal, SD card, and this Verizon crap. I'm pissed.

Upvote 0
I am running 32 bit Vista. I installed it and it keeps coming up. It also shows up a drive now when I open my computer. Three different drives. Internal, SD card, and this Verizon crap. I'm pissed.

I'd be pissed if I was running Vista too ...

Upvote 0
This didn't seem to do anything for me. Still get the VZW software mounted as an additional drive.

Note for those that might run into this like I did. This DOES work. However, I had just factory reset my phone when I tried it and CD-ROM was already set to "disable" in the menu. I didn't realize this wasn't how it looked to others (I was assuming this had something to do with the note about it saying "no changes committed").

However, it turns out you actually have to hook it to your computer at least once FIRST. After doing this, the CD-ROM function will say "enabled" when you enter this menu. Then changing it to disabled makes this go away for good.

Thanks for the tip.

Upvote 0
In the name of all that is sacred on these forums, someone please assist me with removing this shit, or at least disabling it permanently. It is completely pissing me off.

CRAP ASS BLOATWARE.png:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Upvote 0
In the name of all that is sacred on these forums, someone please assist me with removing this shit, or at least disabling it permanently. It is completely pissing me off.

View attachment 10610:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Follow the directions above by Kayst:

Originally Posted by kayst
Dial ##7764726
Hit Call
Password is 000000 (6 0s)
Hit Feature Settings
Choose CD ROM
Click Disable
Hit menu, commit modifications (it will say no item changed)

Upvote 0
A million thanks to you a Kayst!!!!! :):):):):):):):)

****doing the happy dance****:D
You're welcome - I just found this on another thread tho, so thanks go to whoever posted it first. I couldn't figure out why I never got the popup until I saw the pic posted a few msgs back, but I have autoplay turned off and it appears to be an autoplay thing. For those who this trick isn't working for, try turning autoplay off.

Upvote 0
You thought "the thing" (whatever that means) about Android was that it wouldn't let you choose what you would like to search for?

What are you confused about? If you want it to search everything in the world, check all the boxes.

"The Thing" = The Appeal

When i was on 2.1, i didn't have to go select anything to have it search my contacts. I dont want it to search for everything in the world, I just wanted it to search my contacts for the person i want to email, call, hell delete if i wanted to.

Part of the Incredibles advertising including bits about it searching everything natively. He was not expecting to have to go into a setting and enable this, but expected an advertised feature to be enabled by default.

Exactly, the original ads for the Android platform was the ability to have it search natively for everything on the phone. Thank you Zemerick

Upvote 0
Got my OS update last night on my Incredible and one thing I HATE is that they have cluttered the text messaging box with two new icons - one for sending and one that expands into several for attachments and other includsions. The problem is, it is already difficult to accurately place the cursor to fix typos (the ONE thing I like better about the iPhone, which ROCKS in this respect), but now I end up accidentally hitting "Send" when trying to edit a typo!!!

Anyone else notice this?

Yes, it happened to me, also. Don't like it one bit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones