• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The little things...(2.2 Update addons/changes)

There's a couple new HTC Mail widgets you can select. Not gmail.

When you select the old HTC Mail widget, there are now three types of widgets to choose from vs before when there was only one.

I have noticed an issue on my phone with the two new mail widgets. I think it may happen on some other new 'full screen' widgets too. When I go to add the widget to an empty screen it gives me the red error saying not enough onscreen space. Some times if I scroll to another empty screen it will install correctly if I adjust the position. This happens with both the 2 new mail widgets.

I installed using the update.zip method.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I updated with the zip & was dismayed by all the stuff running in the background. After reading lots on these boards, I decided to give ATK a rest & installed system panel & discovered those things weren't actually using CPU time. Battery life still sucks for me but I don't really let it run down so I probably messed it up from the get go. My earlier typing lag seems to have solved itself & my earlier uneasiness is gone. My phone seems snappier & prettier & call quality is much improved. Overall I'm pleased with froyo.

Upvote 0
I can finally post this now that Im using my home PC because whenever I tried coming here, and many other sites, my internet would just quit. I'd click back on the net, and it just brings me back to the homepage.

Whats up with that? Anyone else having those problems with the net??

Have you tried the flash update posted just above? I never had my browser actually closing, but updating the flash did help a lot with several issues such as lag on certain websites.

Upvote 0
<cry> Had a nice long reply nearly finished and my computer crashed. At least chrome saved the quote part, just gotta retype everything now:)
Thank you SOOOO MUCH for all of your help! Do you think you can help me out with my "incoming call" screen? I've been searching and posting for help but no one seems to be willing to and it's bugging the heck out of me..:(

Upvote 0
Thank you SOOOO MUCH for all of your help! Do you think you can help me out with my "incoming call" screen? I've been searching and posting for help but no one seems to be willing to and it's bugging the heck out of me..:(

Send me a PM with details and I can look into, probably not tonight though.

Before. What exactly would a factory reset do? Wipe everything?

Yes, it would wipe everything. ( Minus the SD card and 2.2 in and of itself. ) This fixes most issues, but not all.

Upvote 0
yes, there is. The version that comes with FROYO is 10.1.72. The new version is 10.1.92.8

Download: Official Flash 10.1 (V10.1.92.8) for Any Android 2.2 Phone | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

scroll down to download, download the update, put the file in your SD card, run the file, and click on update.:)

Thanks. i realized I can't access my SD card now with froyo, due to that stupid Verizon sync popup I get when I plug my phone in.

What Do I do to get to my SD card? And once there, do I just run the apk file while on my PC?

Upvote 0
Thanks. i realized I can't access my SD card now with froyo, due to that stupid Verizon sync popup I get when I plug my phone in.

What Do I do to get to my SD card? And once there, do I just run the apk file while on my PC?

download astro in the market.....when connect to the computer.....click menu-settings-connect to pc-under default connection, change todisk drive-go to my computer and open the sd card (it should now be recognized as a seperate drive on ur computer- transfer the file from your computer to your sd card- unplug the phone- open astro manager- find the file and click it to open......if you download the file straight from your phone then u can locate your phone with astro manager.:)

Upvote 0
download astro in the market.....when connect to the computer.....click menu-settings-connect to pc-under default connection, change todisk drive-go to my computer and open the sd card (it should now be recognized as a seperate drive on ur computer- transfer the file from your computer to your sd card- unplug the phone- open astro manager- find the file and click it to open......if you download the file straight from your phone then u can locate your phone with astro manager.:)

See I did all that...I knew I was doing it right. It says removable disk G: but when I click to open it says please insert disk drive G. Something's up, I'm gonna pop out my SD card and try again. But my comptuer isn't recognizing it.

I will probably go through the phones browser to get the file, no problem, just not as easy as browsing on my PC. But I gotta get my SD card working here.

Thanks for the help

Update: Don't know what went wrong, but popping the SDcard out and back in seems to have worked. Updated, we're good to go.

Upvote 0
I've noticed that I can't search for contacts using the search soft button anymore. I was looking up "Ricky" and it was suggesting Ricky Martin and Gervais... No! those people aren't in my contacts! Find Ricky that I have in my phone!

OK, I dont know why i have to do this, but it works. from the Search screen, hit Menu->Search Settings->Searchable Items and uncheck "web" and check "people".

I thought the thing about the Android system was that I could search for everything on the phone without having to disable and enable options.
:thinking:

Upvote 0
So is it even worth it? What will it all fix?

It removes any incompatibilities that occurred from trying to stack one OS on top of another without wiping any settings, etc. These problems cause lag, non-responsiveness, increased CPU usage ( Read your battery drains faster ), crashes, reboots, force closes, etc.

So...you tell me, is it worth it?:)

<-- went straight for the RUU which forces a complete wipe.
<-- has had none of the problems mentioned all over, especially the lag and battery drain.

NOTE: If you can avoid it all, do not use a program to sync apps backed up back onto your phone. I think some issues are coming from this. My recommendation is use Appbrain to create a list of apps ( or if you don't have many just write them down ) and then redownload them from the market by hand.

An hour or 2 of work now fixing everything on the phone is a world of headaches removed over the next week of trouble shooting 50 different problems:)

Upvote 0
OK, I dont know why i have to do this, but it works. from the Search screen, hit Menu->Search Settings->Searchable Items and uncheck "web" and check "people".

I thought the thing about the Android system was that I could search for everything on the phone without having to disable and enable options.
:thinking:

You thought "the thing" (whatever that means) about Android was that it wouldn't let you choose what you would like to search for?

What are you confused about? If you want it to search everything in the world, check all the boxes.

Upvote 0
I do not use many widgets but tonight I noticed that you can Get More Widgets. It is the first option under Widgets. You can choose which ones to Install. Has it always been there and I didn't notice or is it new?

Always there:)

You thought "the thing" (whatever that means) about Android was that it wouldn't let you choose what you would like to search for?

What are you confused about? If you want it to search everything in the world, check all the boxes.

Part of the Incredibles advertising including bits about it searching everything natively. He was not expecting to have to go into a setting and enable this, but expected an advertised feature to be enabled by default.

Upvote 0
Could you explain what's happening one more time? I don't know if I'm following ...

When I'm done reading an email I'll hit Menu -> back to inbox. Every time I leave the application I'm looking at the inbox, but when I open the app again I'm right back to viewing an old email. It's not always the most recent one either, sometimes it gets stuck on the same one for a while.

This was happening to me too but I discovered it was actually the Gmail Unread Count widget that was doing it. Put the plain Gmail app on your screen and see if that fixes it.

Yep, that's that's what I'm using. Launching from the app on home screen or from the application drawer has the same results. It's really just a minor annoyance so I haven't toyed around with it too much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones