• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Unrevoked3: complete Evo/Windows instructions

Your software number should be

That is what it says for me under software information

Try turning off the phone then turning it on

unless you used the update that unrevoked put out, Then I don't know unfortunately.

P.S. Try turning off the phone then turning it

i know it needs to be that version to use unrevoked 3, my problem is my software number is 1.17.651.1 and my phone wont find an update when i search for one, it says my phones upto date still, clearly its not...?

Upvote 0
No issues with my install. Was still running unrevoked2 w/o the OTA update. Uninstalled, applied the OTA update, followed the steps. Very smooth. Not getting great download speeds from Wireless Tether, but it's more of a backup solution for me when I'm away from a WiFi and need to do something on my iPad. Thanks for the great discussion.

Upvote 0
when you got to the end of the install, and it said DONE on your computer. Did you have a black screen, with aqua colored letters? What option did you select. The top one reboot system now?

No issues with my install. Was still running unrevoked2 w/o the OTA update. Uninstalled, applied the OTA update, followed the steps. Very smooth. Not getting great download speeds from Wireless Tether, but it's more of a backup solution for me when I'm away from a WiFi and need to do something on my iPad. Thanks for the great discussion.

Upvote 0
OMG! On my Linux box using Ubuntu Ultimate, it took less than 5 minutes. I also installed ShootMe and SetCPU...which both now work!

So my question is, can I now use Titanium Backup? I also want to get rid of some Sprint Apps too...like NASCAR and Football.

Edit- After re-reading, I found that I won't be able to remove those apps...oh well, still rooted and getting to know my device :).

Upvote 0
Ok, i have not seen anyone else post this problem so maybe someone can help me. I am trying to install the driver but all I get is a message stating that it found the driver but encountered a problem. "class does not exist" I do not have any idea what to do about that. Any help would be appreciated...............nevermind, rebooted everything and tried again with no issues.

Upvote 0
can anyone please confirm if 4g, wifi, bluetooth, and any other radios are still working with unrevoked 3. Because i did the 3 step simple root and my 4g and wifi no longer worked so i went back to stock rom. Please somebody confirm i really want root access just to run root apps thanks, Ivan :)

4g and WiFi work on my device...haven't tested bluetooth yet.

Upvote 0
I just rooted unrevoked3 this morning. Every thing works perfect. I turned on blue tooth turns on and off fine. I don't have a device to see if it will connect[

QUOTE=ivanhouston10;1165540]can you please try out your bluetooth cause i dont wanna root and then my radios not work again please it would be really helpful to me and im sure many others........why cant they just make another root method like the first unrevoked simple and easy for us just trying to use root applications[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
[Yep still need to disable perflock with set cpu

QUOTE=DucatiDude;1165667]Pardon if this has been asked or answered but now that I've done the 1.47 update and run unrevoked3, which took all of 90 seconds on a Mac, do I still need to perform Perflock on SetCPU? I am fully rooted now, correct? I can now install ROM Manager and instill other ROM's? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
All the instructions I've found for using unrevoked3 to root an Evo on a Windows PC seem to be piecemeal (all over the place and incomplete), so I thought I'd give a rundown of what worked for me. Some of these steps may be unnecessary but doing all of them should result in a "safe" root. This is written for those with little to no knowledge of rooting but with basic Windows/PC skills and knowledge of how to navigate the Evo interface:

Prep

Before beginning the process, I would recommend doing the following to your phone:

(1) If you have the original unrevoked root installed, uninstall it by using "Menu", "Settings", "Applications", "Manage Applications" and scrolling to "Unrevoked" at the bottom. Tap it, click "Force Stop" at the bottom and then "Uninstall", "OK" to uninstall it. Then power off/on your phone just to be sure.

Mike

I have the unrevoked 1 i believe. where you down load the .ipk, install, and then you have root. Basically the one that just gives you root permission to run programs like tether (no flashing of roms possible). I read some folks cant find the update after they uninstall unrevoked. cant I just skip step one, and download the 1.47 OTA, and it'll just knock out unrevoked anyway? Just dont wnat to uninstall unrevoked and then not find the update to 1.47

1.47 has the new radio and wixmmaxx right?

and to be clear we can flash custom roms??

and what recovery is installed in this when done?

Upvote 0
I can't find the "Android USB Driver" file. Where can I find this?
Click the "hboot driver.htm" It links you to the download.

Just wanted to add another +1 that this works after following the instructions. I missed the part about uninstalling HTC Sync. I tried 3 times and then reread the instructions to find that little detail. After that it was done in 2 minutes!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones