• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Which HTC? (Desire HD, Desire Z, Incredible S?)

D

denialnw10

I'm about to upgrade my mum into the world of android from a dire Samsung running software straight out of the 80's. The idea is that she is happy to take my Desire and I will take her upgrade and get either a Desire HD, Desire Z, or Incredible S with the upgrade.

Now I need some assistance in which one to upgrade to!

I tried the Incredible S out yesterday in Carphone Warehouse and I really didn't like the feel of it in my hand, as the back of it feels weird and protruding. Its also more expensive than the other two phones in terms of monthly payment and addition lump sum cash.

I understand the Desire Z and DHD are older, but if they are both going to be upgraded to Android 2.3 and run similar hardware to the incredible, then it makes sense to still consider them as they are cheaper in line rental and I need to keep that to around

You forgot the Desire S! My favourite out of the lot.

Desire Z - Firstly, if you currently own a desire it is easy to decide on the desire Z. If you really want a physical keyboard, then get that. Otherwise, it's got a slower processor than everything else, so I would rule it out.

Desire HD - This comes down to lots of things. It is the only of the pack to have an 8 megapixel camera, so if imaging is important this might be the one to go for (bear in mind image quality won't necessarily be better). Also, its a different shape than the others. Still pocketable but less so than the others. Personally, I find the DHD a little too big for my liking as a phone, but others love it.

----------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I wouldn't worry about them being older phones. The only difference is that the new ones "might" have gingerbread on them. But the DHD and DZ have both been confirmed to be getting the update, so this shouldn't be an issue. And... you can always root :)

Incredible S - This brings me onto the Incredible S. I hated the back, saw it in the shop, felt it and put it down again. Not for me. But again, it's all personal preference.

Desire S - So finally, my favourite. How on earth could you miss out the Desire S? As HTC say, "our award winning desire.... Evolved" I love it. It's sleek, it packs all the top features, its slim and a great size and... it looks just gorgeous.

ksp1.jpg
51y7EDW0DqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It has the new sense, much more internal storage so no more low space errors, video calling, a nicer more refined design, wifi N etc to name a few of the new features.

It's not a huge step up from the desire admittedly, but neither are the others. This seems like it would be ideal for you too.

HTC - Products - HTC Desire S - Overview
HTC Desire S Sim Free Mobile Phone: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

(The amazon link is good for pictures and videos.)
The only downside is it isn't out till april.

Hope this helps :)

Upvote 0
Everyone says 'the Desire Z only has a 800 processor compared to the 1ghz on everything else, lets not forget its a 2nd gen processor, and it outperforms the majority of the 1Ghz big numbers idiots phones.
True. One example is to look at Quadrant scores - Desire Z scores higher with its 800Mhz CPU over Desire (1Ghz CPU). Desire Z uses the same "heart" as Desire HD, except its max beating frequency is slightly lower to save battery power.

Upvote 0
@lekky - I have a preference for htc due to the way that they continually update their phones (better than any other company I've seen so far), they have excellent hardware and a great community that seem to continually develop on htc devices, which although I don't use ROMs, as I haven't rooted, it's nice to know the option is there. I have had a play with a Galaxy S before and I hated it! The "plasticky" designs of Samsung products just really don't do it for me, plus I know they have had compatibility issues in the past that have left users frustrated, plus issues with late updates... and Motorola haven't had much of a presence in the UK thus far, so I'm not sure if I want to take the risk with them, plus I've heard that the cost of the handset will be high, and so I expect some high monthly costs as well as most probably a lump sum to cover the additional premium for a dual core phone.

@williamj1 - To be honest, the main reasons why I won't be waiting for the Desire S is because of the cost of the contract. I'm restricted because my mum doesn't want to pay any more than

Upvote 0
I think as it stands from what I have read and what you guys are saying:

Desire Z - seems to be a Desire with a Keyboard, better performance and better battery life when compared to the Original Desire

Desire HD - seems to add the benefits of a larger screen, better camera, better performance and better sound, with similar battery life to the original Desire.

Am I right in thinking that?

Pretty much :)

Although like I said, I wouldn't say the DHD camera is better. It has more megapixels, but it all comes back to the sensor.

I think really, it depends whether you want a smaller device with a keyboard or the DHD which is slimmer and with a bigger screen.

Upvote 0
@lekky - I have a preference for htc due to the way that they continually update their phones (better than any other company I've seen so far), they have excellent hardware and a great community that seem to continually develop on htc devices, which although I don't use ROMs, as I haven't rooted, it's nice to know the option is there. I have had a play with a Galaxy S before and I hated it! The "plasticky" designs of Samsung products just really don't do it for me, plus I know they have had compatibility issues in the past that have left users frustrated, plus issues with late updates... and Motorola haven't had much of a presence in the UK thus far, so I'm not sure if I want to take the risk with them, plus I've heard that the cost of the handset will be high, and so I expect some high monthly costs as well as most probably a lump sum to cover the additional premium for a dual core phone.

I don't understand that. Samsung updated their phones to 2.2 last year, as did HTC. The official samsung 2.3 rom has already been leaked, so thats coming soon. Samsung also has a great dev community, as does the desire. So there isn't anything to pick between them in that case.

The only issues with updates with regards to samsung is in america, not in the UK. In america the galaxy line has like 4 different phones, and its the networks fault for the updates, not samsungs.

Dual cores will be similar to current top end phone contract, there is a limit people will pay, so they won't go over that limit.

But if you don't like the feel, thats fair enough. Not sure it's been mentioned, but I really like the look of the Xperia Arc. It's a damn pretty phone. Seems like SE have actually got really good software running on it too.

which my mum is not prepared to do as she has fallen in love with the Desire and wants it NOW! lol! :)

Ah, forget all i said above in that case :p

Reactions: qprjim
Upvote 0
@lekky - Thanks for that, I was not aware of the dev support for Samsung phones, I was only aware of the bad press they had received regarding issues with gps, and late updates (or none at all in some cases), but I guess that is related to the numerous different Galaxy models that they have released.

Ok, I thought that based on what you guys have said above it would be a good idea to just give her my Desire now and hold out for a month or two for the newer phones that are soon to arrive, but I've just seen her tariff that she currently has and it hasn't got any internet allowance and therefore, her contract will require upgrading before she can even put her sim in the phone.

So now I am on the Vodafone website and the phones that I can choose from which are free and will provide 900mins, unlimited text, and 750mb internet for

Upvote 0
To be honest it seems like that's the norm. If I look at any of the cheaper tariffs it requires me to put down some money to pay for the phone.

The only reason I'm looking at Vodafone is because I get a 20% discount due to my company using Vodafone handsets. The normal price for the contract I mentioned above is

Upvote 0
I went to the Vodafone store and had a look at my options. Looked at the Desire Z... Opened the keyboard... closed it... put it down... I was seriously underwhelmed with the build quality. It felt like it was going to break every time I opened and closed the keyboard!!!

The Nexus S wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be in terms of build quality, although at the end of the day it was still plastic!!! I like the NFC and front facing camera, but the size, quality of build and love for HTC made me order the Desire HD!!!

Does this mean I can only use the Desire HD forum from now on??? :D It's kind of empty in there!!!

Thanks for helping me to make my decision guys!!!

Managed to talk Vodafone down to

Upvote 0
Just because a phone camera has 8mp, doesn't mean it produces better pictures. You'd have to blow an image up quite a lot to notice any difference between 5 and 8.

Mp doesn't really mean anything, its just a number that they use to sell cameras because if one has a bigger number than another, its got to be better.

This is the biggest misconception amongst casual camera buyers

Upvote 0
Exactly. Most likely, those with 8MP camera are using 5MP mode to take pictures anyway. Otherwise the file sizes become too large.
A more important factor in image quality is the camera sensor and the lenses. SE phones traditionally take better pictures with the same MP because they often use the quality Carl Zeiss lenses.

Upvote 0
Ok, I now have my Desire HD, and I'm loving it!!!

The only thing I'm not loving is the fact that Vodafone has stuck all their Crapware into it and there is no way of removing it! I am so pissed off! I feel violated, coming from the Original Desire where there was no such thing!

The size of the screen is amazing, and so far, the battery is proving to be rather impressive, despite what people have said (an 1.5hrs of music through bluetooth headphones, and general playing about and after 5hrs I still have over 90% of battery remaining).

P.S. The camera is definitely better than the original Desire, I understand that it's probably nothing to do with the megapixels, but it is better.

Upvote 0
Exactly. Most likely, those with 8MP camera are using 5MP mode to take pictures anyway. Otherwise the file sizes become too large.
A more important factor in image quality is the camera sensor and the lenses. SE phones traditionally take better pictures with the same MP because they often use the quality Carl Zeiss lenses.

My old SE K750 and K800 crap all over the Desire in terms of picture quality, especially in conditions where the lighting is less than optimal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones