• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

White EVO = No 4G?!?!?

are you in a confirmed area that has strong 4G?

I am in chicago,and inside my home office, I used to get the endless "trying to connect" message..once I applied this change, I get a 4G "lock" all the time now, on all 3 EVO's we have,in the same places that didn't lock before...
Have you had your phone ON at least 48 hours, to ensure its fully "recognized" on Sprints network?

Yes. I am in Dallas. The sprint tower is opposite to where I am working now. I see immediate 4G notification when I turn my 4G on. Besides, my wife EVO gets solid 4G signal with 5mbps download speed. :)

Upvote 0
i have the white evo (got a replacement) an its a piece of shit. it connects to 4g in places that the ones i had before (on my 4th one) wouldn't and the spped test shows the the same speed with it on that it does with it off. i think it just comes on the screen. there is a mobile toyz store by my house and with the other ones (all black) i had full 4g while i was anywhere near that store. but this white one won't connect there. it also has the light leak thing going on. even the on i got on launch day didn't have light leak. i am gonna return it and demand a new one. the craziest thing is the one i got from best buy before this one was hardware v003. this white one is v002.

Upvote 0
Can those of you having issues post pictures of the Phone trying to connect?

Here is the screenshot. :)

Connecting to Sprint > Scanning > Connecting to sprint > Scanning...

Attachments

• P7097620.jpg
    P7097620.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0
This is my first post as well. Eff u if u don't believe me. Ha ha, ;)

I searched for others having the problem. I am the first customer in the Baltimore harbor sprint store to report this problem. I can't connect to 4g on my new black evo with hardware 0003. I sat in the store right next to my brother ( who is actually the guy who put the antennas and dish on their building, irrelevant I know) who had full 4g of course.

Funny. Best buy is right across the street and I had fifty bucks on a white one but they wouldn't wave my activation so I walked across the street to sprint. I wanted a black one anyway, didn't realize they would have one.

Anyway, the problem is very real. I had an iPhone, what... 3 days ago and I'm not planning to go back wouldn't recommend it. I'm sticking with unlimited 4g hotspot to use with my iPad and canceling the 30 dollar iPad 3G from AT&T even though I was grandfathered into unlimited.

Anyway, I'm confident they will resolve this and my salesperson at the spri t store is the coolest chick I've ever dealt with that sold me something. I know I'll get this resolved for sure.

What's disturbing is all the people in 3G only areas who don't realize they have a problem.

Btw, today for a few seconds was the first time I even seen "4g is available". Then it went away. It has nothing to do with a ten second timeout that the rude guy was calling you names about.

Jeez, ive seen the rude, skeptical type of treatment in another forum for another issue as well. It's not very welcoming to us new customers who just dumped the iPhone. You need to learn to lighten up and give the benefit of the doubt. It's possible u are wrong, it's just a phone.

Upvote 0
Sprint actually just called me back in response to my trouble ticket.

The 4G "Scanning... Connecting...." issue is definitely not a provisioning problem and it is something that both Sprint and HTC are working on and they still have not found a resolution to the problem.

They better find a resolution quickly or they will have lots of returned Evo as people's 30 days come up.

i got the same story they said it should be solved by 7pm so just keep trying to connect.

Upvote 0
Hmm... Mine doesn't even say anything about 4g scanning when it's enabled. As I mentioned, I saw that once right next to the store. :(

Supposed to get a new phone in at sprint soon but I'm doubting a difference? Who knows but I hope u r right newphi18, even though u r in pa and it's past 7pm.

Looking so forward to 4g speeds soon!

Upvote 0
Hmm... Mine doesn't even say anything about 4g scanning when it's enabled. As I mentioned, I saw that once right next to the store. :(

Supposed to get a new phone in at sprint soon but I'm doubting a difference? Who knows but I hope u r right newphi18, even though u r in pa and it's past 7pm.

Looking so forward to 4g speeds soon!

Upvote 0
Cool. I compared all the info in our phones and the only thing that appeared to be different was the 0002 vs 0003 although someone mentioned the problem on 0002 i think.

I hope its a hardware issue and they need to make software compatible for it. In other words, I hope it's a downloadable fix and not a permanent hardware problem. I know they made it sound that way to you. Hope so. Strange this could even happen it will interesting to know what happened exactly.

Upvote 0
lol, so you STILL dont believe there was an issue. HTC and Sprint became well aware of it. My brother's company, Vertical, builds the towers on the east coast and hears the inside scoop pretty quickly. It became a known problem.

Whether I am a newbie at an EVO or not, you have no idea what you are talking about in this situation and its very apparent what your personality type is already.

I can understand that you will put up wall and not admit you jump fast, become frustrated because of your lack of patience and convince yourself you are right. You would be too embarrassed to admit there could be any chance that there was an actual problem.

Do you and your seasoned, "expertise" advice and welcoming attitude towards new people represent the tone of this entire forum? Next you break out the red pen and talk about my spelling and grammar. There is one of you in every forum.

Upvote 0
lol, so you STILL dont believe there was an issue. HTC and Sprint became well aware of it. My brother's company, Vertical, builds the towers on the east coast and hears the inside scoop pretty quickly. It became a known problem.

Whether I am a newbie at an EVO or not, you have no idea what you are talking about in this situation and its very apparent what your personality type is already.

I can understand that you will put up wall and not admit you jump fast, become frustrated because of your lack of patience and convince yourself you are right. You would be too embarrassed to admit there could be any chance that there was an actual problem.

Do you and your seasoned, "expertise" advice and welcoming attitude towards new people represent the tone of this entire forum? Next you break out the red pen and talk about my spelling and grammar. There is one of you in every forum.

Glad you are so intelligent that you are able to analyze all my psychoses after reading a few posts on a web forum..we need more geniuses like you here.
I gave my 4g fix in the spirit of helping people who wanted to try something that might have solved their problem. Since you are a self proclaimed analyst of many issues, surely you understood my motives in doing that, or, are you so self absorbed, that you only look to start arguments when its convenient for you? And your "brother", the construction worker has no more insight into internal Sprint Engineering issues, that the ant crawling on my patio now..

Do me a favor, and go back to the Iphone, or, at the very least, put me on your ignore list, so I don't have to be annoyed by you anymore.

When you have as much experience and expertise as I know I have in matters like these, then you can boast about it here and anywhere else you choose..until then, don't annoy me with your "anal" a-zations...

Upvote 0
"do you guys even read the thread before posting?????? do this, and your 4G will STOP "searching for connection"!!!"
"the fact that you newbies had no patience"

You can also insult my brother all you want; you don't know what you are talking about. He's not a construction worker at all and he DOES get certain inside information. Fast.

Fact: there was an issue that you were unaware of, did not understand, and you treat people like crap with the attitude that if u don't know about the problem, it must not exist.

Upvote 0
Okay, I think everybody needs to chill. Just wanted to check up on this thread to see if everyone was still experiencing issues being able to connect?

I haven't checked outside my office today, so not sure how it's responding. The 4G signal in L.A. is so spotty right now anyway, that there's no real way I can determine the situation, but for those in a strong 4G area, it'd be good to hear any updates.

It seemed like a lot of people's situations changed for the better, so I'm hoping that's the case for me as well.

Upvote 0
agreed. :)

Mine is working fine now.

Here is what may have happened, as I understood it, everywhere except Chicago... kidding.

Anyway, what i gather from my brother.. the construction worker...my bad (j/k he doesn't physically build towers and hang antennas himself although there would be nothing wrong with that) was that an update, 1.47.651.1 was put out and everyone with new phones got the update immediately (well I guess not everyone but it should have auto looked for updates when activating for the first time?) Some others as well of course. They yanked the update quickly until it was fixed so it was a limited problem. ? Why do we have the same version number then?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones