• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

White EVO = No 4G?!?!?

BTW, I see the problem is now posted in lot's of places. Forums, blogs, many times in comments below articles, etc.

EVO 4G OTA update 1.47.651.1 killed 4G. - HTC EVO? 4G (Sprint) - Android Forums - HTC Community

Sprint ceases Evo 4G update almost immediately | Android Atlas - CNET Blogs

Excited about that New HTC EVO 4G Update? Be Careful, It’s Bricking Some Phones | Android Phone Fans

Unfortunately, I discovered i have the screen lift and light leaking problem so i will remain on the exchange list, but that's a different story. :(

Upvote 0
Wimax signal connection depends on a lot of things.

If you are in a wimax zone, what stage the buildout is at, and buildings and other obstacles between you and the tower.

There also seems to be a few software glitches that are causing the radios in the phone not to hook up to the stations properly. These problem are 100% software based, and nothing to do with hardware, test this myself.

edit

oh the op was asking if it had a radio, yes it is the same hardware sets as the black version, just different colors.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
For anyone that is reading this thread, most of what is said up there is just and out and out lie or seriously miss guided.

A few things to remember about wimax.

1.) You need to be provisioned to use wimax. This can not happen with activation and can only happen when the phone first connects to the network. Here is what happens, sprint sends your wimax hardware number and mac address to clear, oxhm, and the dozen or so their operators. The number is required for you to provision your phone. Once you connect, the service provider checks your hardware number and mac address with a data base. Once they find you on the list, they will allow you to connect. After that, you can connect with the network at will. This can take as little as 2 secs and as much as 3 hours for the first time, depending on how busy the network is.

If you disconnect and reconnect with out completing the provisioning cycle, you will have to start over the next time. This is causes people to spend a lot of time to turning things on and off, with no luck. Your best bet is to connect when you are outside and leave the 4g on. The system for provisioning is not the best in the world.

2.)The evo has some serous software problems that relates to 4g signal strength. They need to do some serous updating before you can compare it to your usb cards. Usb cards also have the ability to pull from a larger battery too.

3.)People love to think that because of color on a map, they will get a signal. Some bad news, the color on maps always lies. Not even close to telling the truth.

Upvote 0
For anyone that is reading this thread, most of what is said up there is just and out and out lie or seriously miss guided.

A few things to remember about wimax.

1.) You need to be provisioned to use wimax. This can not happen with activation and can only happen when the phone first connects to the network. Here is what happens, sprint sends your wimax hardware number and mac address to clear, oxhm, and the dozen or so their operators. The number is required for you to provision your phone. Once you connect, the service provider checks your hardware number and mac address with a data base. Once they find you on the list, they will allow you to connect. After that, you can connect with the network at will. This can take as little as 2 secs and as much as 3 hours for the first time, depending on how busy the network is.

If you disconnect and reconnect with out completing the provisioning cycle, you will have to start over the next time. This is causes people to spend a lot of time to turning things on and off, with no luck. Your best bet is to connect when you are outside and leave the 4g on. The system for provisioning is not the best in the world.

2.)The evo has some serous software problems that relates to 4g signal strength. They need to do some serous updating before you can compare it to your usb cards. Usb cards also have the ability to pull from a larger battery too.

3.)People love to think that because of color on a map, they will get a signal. Some bad news, the color on maps always lies. Not even close to telling the truth.

Thanks, River. Since L.A. isn't "fully launched" yet, would you recommend just waiting out to really test or should I actually call into Sprint Tech support to see if my activation process didn't fully register when I got my replacement white phone? T.I.A. for dropping your knowledge.

Upvote 0
I think the issue is related to hardware. My wife has a black EVO(launch day), with 1.47 OTA installed, connecting to 4G without problem(solid signal and good speed). I had my black EVO on July 4, 2 days before the release of the white one, and I have not been able to connect to 4G. Best buy swamped my EVO with another new black EVO. It still did the same "scanning Loop". Then, bb swamped my 2nd black EVO with the white one. The white one is also doing the same thing. I compared all 4 EVOs. My wife is on hardware 0002 and the rest of three are 0003. The three were having the "Scanning Loop". I think this is only happen to certain 4G market. I believe all of the white EVO is using 0003 hardware.

I went back to best buy yesterday and ready for the 5th. Then the reps told me that all of EVOs they activated this week are having the same issue. The sprint store called me that they found a phone that work. I was told it was 0002 and a reconditioned phone. I didn't get the replacement because I didn't want to get a reconditioned phone as I just got the new phone few day ago.

I agree with this, my past two evos were 0002 and connected with 4g without a problem now that I got my new current 0003 evo, I cannot connect to a 4g network at my house in or outside. This really made me sad. Sprint said that it is because I am in a spotty location but clearly this seems to be an excuse. Hope this will be fixed as 4g expands.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones