• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why I don't put bumper stickers on my truck...

Wow, this is a really interesting discussion.

The way I see it, we have a surplus of people in this country that will work very hard to be as lazy as they can. They want unemployment and welfare for as long as they can get. They expect everyone in our society to take care of them and their kids.

Obviously there are people that run into hard times and need help that they can't find from family or their community. In these cases welfare is totally justified, but not without limits.

1 - I think that first and foremost welfare should have a time limit. Give people adequate time to get back on their feet and back to being productive. Just give it a limit and stick to it.

2 - I don't think welfare should be entirely free. Everyone here has to work for their money. If someone is on welfare without a job working at least 40 hrs a week then they should be put to work someplace. Let them do something for the house and money they are getting. I'm not saying it has to be a good job and it should probably be a horrible one that nobody really wants. It will motivate to go get a real job.

3 - Drug tests should be mandatory. How can you give people money without having any idea what they plan to do with it. This will help in so many areas and will either cut down on drug use or welfare recipients. Either one is good, IMHO. Rehab shouldn't even be an option. Failed drug test should equal no welfare, no kids and possibly even jail time.

4 - Food should be coming from a truck or specialized store and not in the form of food stamps. I'm sorry, but the people that are struggling to make it without welfare aren't buying coke and eggos and neither should the people who are on it. Generic boxed food should be perfectly fine for anyone that wants it. If you don't want it, fine go hungry. This also makes sure that the kids are eating real food and not crap.

5 - Luxuries should be out of the question. If you are stuck on welfare you don't need cable and dish. You certainly don't need a big screen tv and I think these things should be prohibited for the people that are on it without employment. Meaning, if you are doing one of the crappy welfare jobs I spoke of in #2 then you don't get any of the other luxuries. If they want entertainment then they should probably be cracking a book.

6 - Education should be a requirement for those that are staying on welfare for a long time. Some sort of technical school training should be apart of it. Failing grades should equal being kicked out.

7 - The kids of parents on welfare should be taken care of. They are the reason that welfare really exists in the first place. If the parents are unwilling to follow the rules or can't keep clean then the kids should be taken away from them. There are orphanages, foster homes and adoptive homes all over this country. I'm not saying that any of these are ideal choices, but for the kids safety and health I am sure that many will agree they are better alternatives than staying with drug addict or otherwise worthless parents.

As far as money goes let's be serious, the fed comes up with money for anything they really want money for. If they really want to educate and empower some of the people of this country they can find away. Although, I think many would just prefer them to stay lazy and attached to the government teat.

Upvote 0
OTD, nice post. I agree. We are in a difficult position in trying to fix our broken-ass welfare system, and everyone wants to be politically correct. Your solutions are not PC, and seem to me like completely viable answers to a very difficult problem. Thanks for the good read, and sort of fresh ideas on the matter....

Thank you. I firmly believe that political correctness is killing this country. I don't see any reason to go out of your way to be mean to someone or try to hurt them, but worrying about every single person's feelings so much doesn't get anything accomplished. Sometimes people are just going to be unhappy with the results of others doing what is correct for the majority. It sucks that anyone ever has to be unhappy, but it is pretty hard to avoid. Between the choice of hurting someone's feelings and getting something accomplished I'll take hurting someone's feeling 98% of the time.

Upvote 0
Thank you. I firmly believe that political correctness is killing this country. I don't see any reason to go out of your way to be mean to someone or try to hurt them, but worrying about every single person's feelings so much doesn't get anything accomplished. Sometimes people are just going to be unhappy with the results of others doing what is correct for the majority. It sucks that anyone ever has to be unhappy, but it is pretty hard to avoid. Between the choice of hurting someone's feelings and getting something accomplished I'll take hurting someone's feeling 98% of the time.

Well put. Better to help the majority by offending the (vocal) minority.

Upvote 0

The way I see it, we have a surplus of people in this country that will work very hard to be as lazy as they can. They want unemployment and welfare for as long as they can get. They expect everyone in our society to take care of them and their kids.

Obviously there are people that run into hard times and need help that they can't find from family or their community. In these cases welfare is totally justified, but not without limits.

1 - I think that first and foremost welfare should have a time limit. Give people adequate time to get back on their feet and back to being productive. Just give it a limit and stick to it.

2 - I don't think welfare should be entirely free. Everyone here has to work for their money. If someone is on welfare without a job working at least 40 hrs a week then they should be put to work someplace. Let them do something for the house and money they are getting. I'm not saying it has to be a good job and it should probably be a horrible one that nobody really wants. It will motivate to go get a real job.

3 - Drug tests should be mandatory. How can you give people money without having any idea what they plan to do with it. This will help in so many areas and will either cut down on drug use or welfare recipients. Either one is good, IMHO. Rehab shouldn't even be an option. Failed drug test should equal no welfare, no kids and possibly even jail time.

4 - Food should be coming from a truck or specialized store and not in the form of food stamps. I'm sorry, but the people that are struggling to make it without welfare aren't buying coke and eggos and neither should the people who are on it. Generic boxed food should be perfectly fine for anyone that wants it. If you don't want it, fine go hungry. This also makes sure that the kids are eating real food and not crap.

5 - Luxuries should be out of the question. If you are stuck on welfare you don't need cable and dish. You certainly don't need a big screen tv and I think these things should be prohibited for the people that are on it without employment. Meaning, if you are doing one of the crappy welfare jobs I spoke of in #2 then you don't get any of the other luxuries. If they want entertainment then they should probably be cracking a book.

6 - Education should be a requirement for those that are staying on welfare for a long time. Some sort of technical school training should be apart of it. Failing grades should equal being kicked out.

7 - The kids of parents on welfare should be taken care of. They are the reason that welfare really exists in the first place. If the parents are unwilling to follow the rules or can't keep clean then the kids should be taken away from them. There are orphanages, foster homes and adoptive homes all over this country. I'm not saying that any of these are ideal choices, but for the kids safety and health I am sure that many will agree they are better alternatives than staying with drug addict or otherwise worthless parents.

As far as money goes let's be serious, the fed comes up with money for anything they really want money for. If they really want to educate and empower some of the people of this country they can find away. Although, I think many would just prefer them to stay lazy and attached to the government teat.

I am IOWA, and I approve this statement.

I also agree, people being PC are a bunch of whiny sissies. It's a shame we live in a state were being completely honest is frowned upon. =/

Upvote 0

I think I'm in love......

Upvote 0
I am IOWA, and I approve this statement.

I also agree, people being PC are a bunch of whiny sissies. It's a shame we live in a state were being completely honest is frowned upon. =/

As a whiny sissy, I am offended by your comment.

A friend of mine said "Ahhh, Americans. What they lack in subtlety they make up for in clarity." I am not so sure he would say that anymore.

Upvote 0
Here's my take.

We have to create penalties for irresponsible behavior and incentives for responsible behavior.

They have more kids to get more welfare. Tell them that if they have another kid that they get no welfare increase for the extra kid and that if DSS determines they are not properly caring for the kid/s then the kid/s get taken away along with the welfare. In other words stop rewarding them for cranking out more kids. I know it's not PC to expect anyone to be responsible for anything but if you want to end this cycle than you are going to have to stop rewarding irresponsible behavior and start implementing penalties for it.

Test positive for drugs, welfare gone. Can't supports the kids now, kids gone. Make them hit rock bottom and work their way out. Stop sticking pillows under their lazy arses every time they fall off another cliff. I have no problem with putting their kids in foster care and throwing their lazy arses out on the street.

Give them a reason to choose work or higher education. There are plenty of single parents that manage to run a household and maintain at least a part time job. If the kid/s is/are in school there is no excuse for not working while they are at school. 15 to 20 hours a week is not too much to ask.

Wanna go to school so you can get a better paying job? GREAT!! I have no problem helping with child care and welfare while you pursuit a degree. If they get the degree they can then get a better job that will allow them to fully support their kids and they will likely raise them better. And if it was a state school forgive the tuition, call it an investment in the future.

Right now there is no reason to ever get off welfare. If you create incentives for getting off it, and penalties for not working to get off it, than they will have incentives to better themselves.

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. If he refuses to learn to fish don't keep giving him fish because you feel bad for him. Let him get hungry enough and he will take that offer to teach him to fish.

Upvote 0
I've got a GT 1000 Sport Classic. I'm too old fogeyish for the hot new cafe racer ducs. I like the looks of the older, classic bikes from Duc, Triumph, et cetera. But...the hot-styled Ducs are nothing to sneeze at.

Cool, I love the old school look with the new go fast parts...

The multistrada is the big dirt bike looking one, with the hottest street motor shoehorned in. I think it would be a great all rounder....

Upvote 0
Cool, I love the old school look with the new go fast parts...

The multistrada is the big dirt bike looking one, with the hottest street motor shoehorned in. I think it would be a great all rounder....

I'm more of a sedate motorcyclist, but I agree with your opinion.

I've had my Duc up to just under 120 mph -once- and there was still some left, but it was enough for me. The gearing is such that it is an easy rider around town, on the interstate and on country roads. Plenty'o'torque whenever and wherever you need it.

Upvote 0
B.S. you wouldn't believe how motivated these parents are when there are real consequences to their actions. Most are simply lazy products of a society that would rather come up with reasons why it needs to keep shoveling money at them.

I see it everyday at work.

It would take more than a "monetary supplement" for society to successfully place the burden for these hundreds of thousands or millions of these kids on foster families. Foster kids who are not placed with wealthy families are only given the short end of the stick in terms of financial and emotional support. There's only enough there for the cheapest of medical care, usually the worst schools, and very rare counselling. We'd really have to redo the entire system for it to be effective.

And when foster kids reach 18, then what? As it is now, there's no more support. Many find themselves on the streets.

I'm not defending drug-addicted parents with minor children.What i am positing is that the solution is far more complex and expensive than anyone is envisioning.

Upvote 0
I'm more of a sedate motorcyclist, but I agree with your opinion.

I've had my Duc up to just under 120 mph -once- and there was still some left, but it was enough for me. The gearing is such that it is an easy rider around town, on the interstate and on country roads. Plenty'o'torque whenever and wherever you need it.

That 1100 DS motor is a GREAT all around motor, and perfect for the classics...

I had a Suzuki SV 1000S, and saw 167 on the speedo ONCE. Was really fun, but I don't ever need to do it again....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones