• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows 10, Yay or Nay?

You, know, it takes me forever just to find the search in Win 10 just so I can find a program that I don't have parked on the desktop already... like, oh, Internet Explorer (because there's that one website that won't work with Firefox or Edge... well, nothing works with Edge, but I digress).

Cortana? No, I don't think so... I don't talk to strangers, particularly strangers that are likely spying on me.

Upvote 0
Also, the Native shrink volume function only reduced C:\ to 450 Gb. I'd like to do this:
http://www.pcmech.com/article/performance-tuning-black-art-short-stroke-hard-drive/
and reduce it more. Any ideas on a third party tool that won't wipe my system?
Since I multi-boot, I start by shrinking through Windows, which will only shrink your volume to half it's size max (on a 2TB drive, that's a lot of wasted storage).

Then, I boot a Linux Live session (I'm using Mint 17.3 KDE on a thumb drive now) and use gparted to adjust the Windows volume down even more.

If you are doing this on an older Windows volume, you might want to defrag the drive first... get all that data squeezed to the front side of the volume.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I've got dual boot on my Nexus 7 (2013) Android/Ubuntu Touch. Dual boot on my Chuwi Hi8 Android/Windows 10. This should be a snap. Right?:eek:
I've never dual-booted a phone, so I can't tell you how the two processes compare.

I'd have to dig through my archives and see if I've a modern tutorial done for dual-boot on a Win 10 machine.

Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0
So where does one find this "Linux" thing I hear so much about:D
Since you're a big Windows user.. I'd go with Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 (64bit) since it's very user friendly to ppl who've mostly run Windows OS's..

https://www.linuxmint.com

I have my PC to dualboot Linux Mint & Win10, with an 80/20 config.. 80% to Linux since it does my "heavy lifting" (compiling and whatnot) & 20% to Windows for those times I have no choice and NEED to use Windows: like the LG FlashTool. It's completely worth the time and effort, all day long + every day. Give it a try, options are the purpose and with dualboot you can have everything of both worlds! JS.. [emoji41]

Reactions: Bg260 and Dngrsone
Upvote 0
I've got a couple of online guides and @bcrichster 's tutorial from further back in the thread. I just have to get psyched up enough to get going. Kind of tough with baseball on and such.............ugh now I'm just making excuses.
As far as my dual boot chuwi, there is an icon on the homescreen. Never thought I'd say it but...I'm going to delete Android from it. The Windows side is is by far the star performer and it will free up 8Gb. I use Multi-rom on my n7

Upvote 0
-8MTSzmJSy09-qIF_cj3c2SMsxADY3vMx6T07SXeJFZiU7iUfc2Rhs2Uon0Z6MGsrc6rw9uNDA69y7TvaTrSIdy8Cv6HWZ6ZRQzEm_7IDZT7ZQIsHzq9FytX6zs567cT4aaQoMb-h4Wsz2AfxkpHJAefvY6JJDuUCUev13UyGIWtkFVXaruz46u73tUZL7rdJluck2oN2PrFcYoP-dxReBuY_Wq7RfYA4pfdRHn_aJWQ-sqDMpnHntrFUSFcSLjvmAHuiaaxODRczGhROwf8caMEz5FDpLqyccVvX1FlN1o7Z-3VrXIg9O9YzpcmJajBl9TqtjI7SmY9LoIEJ8NrYkHr0vTOLGs3qsHf5vR623rTlyAG955h2D08h7rhEQMzTXhD888__LzUwvYhmEhS7eS04v4eF21S61VmUlVJ4Sxwr4ddcQMKIbfH1baumGk5yLjlzkTwffGAeq2OXjMiGA-xfcfHAwh2oKhY5yXFmY0vDiYzD4jI5Srf1lRlm3-5CpVIbFCN4UPUVVBndZDBATmUt1ToZpQNXGtgmNTuasHy9TEXMAE0-BALGR9J4c2TkZW0hwGcj9dkzrGcKcc9bUeX_BIKG1AF=w362-h643-no
S̶p̶e̶a̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶O̶d̶i̶n̶.̶ ̶W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶.̶ ̶M̶y̶ ̶j̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶r̶o̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶n̶e̶.̶ ̶V̶Z̶W̶ ̶S̶4̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶w̶e̶d̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶e̶r̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶c̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶A̶p̶p̶s̶2̶S̶D̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶r̶c̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶e̶M̶M̶c̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶p̶s̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶ ̶f̶l̶a̶s̶h̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶c̶k̶.̶ ̶I̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶t̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶.̶ ̶O̶d̶i̶n̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶s̶ ̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶p̶a̶s̶s̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶h̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶p̶l̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶s̶e̶ ̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶s̶,̶ ̶S̶a̶m̶s̶u̶n̶g̶ ̶S̶p̶l̶a̶s̶h̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶B̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶e̶e̶n̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶r̶i̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶l̶a̶s̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶.̶p̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶l̶l̶.̶ ̶N̶o̶ ̶b̶i̶g̶ ̶d̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶j̶u̶s̶t̶ ̶c̶u̶r̶i̶o̶u̶s̶.̶ ̶S̶o̶r̶r̶y̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶g̶r̶a̶i̶n̶y̶,̶ ̶e̶x̶t̶r̶e̶m̶e̶ ̶c̶l̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶.̶ ̶S̶o̶m̶e̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶e̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶b̶l̶o̶c̶k̶ ̶v̶a̶l̶u̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶̶f ..... RIP:( You're in a better place now.
y6zTBVX.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones