• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Windows 10, Yay or Nay?

Buy yourself a cheap hard drive and then have at it. If it goes kerflooey, then just pop the original drive back in the box and you're no worse for wear. :)
Yup. "Crash and burn" is how I learned (since DOS and RedHat non-gui). Disks are pretty cheap these days, so do not be afraid to experiment. Partitioning is easy once you get over the fear of FUBAR. (G)parted is the best...

Upvote 0
I used mini tool partition wiz to achieve the configuration shown.:eek:
No support for ext4 that I can see. I'll stick with gparted.

EDIT: The best live distro for disk ops IMO is PartedMagic. Not free anymore, but worth a few $ to support the effort. Note: These tools can be used in most any Linux distro if you take the time to install them.

Last edited:
Reactions: lunatic59 and Bg260
Upvote 0
No support for ext4 that I can see. I'll stick with gparted.

EDIT: The best live distro for disk ops IMO is PartedMagic. Not free anymore, but worth a few $ to support the effort. Note: These tools can be used in most any Linux distro if you take the time to install them.

^^ This.

I always keep a live USB flashdrive with me. It has been indispensable on numerous occasions. Not only can you edit partitions but you can clone drives including windows installations.

Reactions: Bg260
Upvote 0
Maybe my image has been corrupted somehow. Last time I tried I got a stream of data. Similar to logcat. I was to frustrated to write it. something about dev/srb not found? About 100 times maybe. Then I saw something about busybox and my heart skipped....finally something I recognized.

Ok, rebooted:
1. Start linux mint 17.3
2. Start Linux Mint (Compatibility Mode)
3. Check the Integrity of the Medium.
?
went with 1 last time

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones