• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4.2.2 update being rolled out

I got 4.2.2 and Sense5 a few weeks ago.
Now I got an OTA application update for Sense and Camera.

Now the app drawer has got icons added that seems to stand for some apps' data places (com.xxx folders) on the internal SD card (Phone Storage), but only these of some uninstalled apps. Long press on the icon gives the option to uninstall (... and the icon will vanish).

But I don't find the folders of these uninstalled apps on Android/data/... anyway.
So I don't see the "sense" of this icons yet ;)

UPDATE: These additionally icons in the app drawer are vanished after a restarting the phone :)
Change log:
Sense: Deleting of shortcuts on home screen solved.
Camera: Starting problems solved.
... I didn't notice any of these two problems after the 4.2.2/Sense5 update :)

UPDATE2: After I updated some apps these icons did reappear in the app drawer :(

Harry

Upvote 0
Got the update on my return from holiday. Three branded in the UK.
I have to say that I have yet to see anything that makes me go "wow".

I can't for the life of me see the point of Blinkfeed. The home screen scrolling, where it now stops is really annoying. Also on the subject of home screen scrolling. Why have they made it flat?

For me this update has done nothing to enhance my mobile experience.

Not impressed at all. Very Apple like from both HTC and Google with this update, in that you put lipstick on a pig, its still a pig.

Upvote 0
I finally got the update on Friday, and like other posters I'm not that impressed.

1. Lost the scroll around feature, which I liked.
2. Lost the social update app that combined FB and Twitter, which I also liked.
3. Most seriously, it appears Flight mode now requires root access, as my NFC tool can no longer switch to flight mode. Also Handy Profiles can't do so as well.

On top of that, I dropped the phone, and now the GSP isn't working. :(

As I have a spare S3 sitting in my corporate phone stock, it seems my HTC will devolve to a staff member.

Upvote 0
I finally got the update on Friday, and like other posters I'm not that impressed.

1. Lost the scroll around feature, which I liked.
2. Lost the social update app that combined FB and Twitter, which I also liked.
3. Most seriously, it appears Flight mode now requires root access, as my NFC tool can no longer switch to flight mode. Also Handy Profiles can't do so as well.

On top of that, I dropped the phone, and now the GSP isn't working. :(

As I have a spare S3 sitting in my corporate phone stock, it seems my HTC will devolve to a staff member.

Regarding point 1, stock Android seems to stop at the ends of your homescreens (my Nexus 7 does anyway).

Regarding point 2, that's probably down to Twitter changing their API. I used to love the Tweetdeck app as it consolidated my Facebook and Twitter accounts into one place but when they changed the API a few months ago they discontinued the apps.

Regarding point 3, you could always root it ;)

Regarding point 4, whoops!

Upvote 0
My update arrived Saturday (branded 3uk) not that impressed so far, camera is bad, signal keeps dropping out and blink feed is bloody awful. Other than that it's ok ;-)

Still waiting for Orange to release it (UK as well.) They're just saying it is "in testing" and will be "released when it is ready." Diabolical. It's only been out for a month and a half.

As for your issues, you can get rid of Blinkfeed can't you? Also HTC have pushed an update for the camera app I believe, so check for further software updates.

Upvote 0
Good Morning John,
Thanks for getting in touch with us at Orange Helpers.
Unfortunately no there isn't a date that is set for the release. Normally we release the orange "locked" software 3-6 months after the launch of the generic update.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Also just as a heads up this page will soon be closing any future queries can you please leave us a message at www.facebook.com/OrangeUK

Upvote 0
Good Morning John,
Thanks for getting in touch with us at Orange Helpers.
Unfortunately no there isn't a date that is set for the release. Normally we release the orange "locked" software 3-6 months after the launch of the generic update.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Also just as a heads up this page will soon be closing any future queries can you please leave us a message at www.facebook.com/OrangeUK

3-6 months?!?!?! Even though Vodafone had the update out a week after it was released by HTC? Even though in the past Orange have had the updates released within about 4 weeks? Orange / T-Mobile / EE are a joke.

I flashed the Maximus HD ROM onto my One X and liked it but had a few weird issues which I now put down to either the phone being unlocked or ClockworkMod being on (for example, when I switched the phone off and put it on charge it would switch itself on at some point for no apparent reason - still did this when I restored my nandroid backup & reflashed my old boot.img, but stopped as soon as I removed ClockworkMod and relocked my phone.) Now back on the Orange 4.1 build and waiting for Easter when they release 4.2... by which time I'll have bought a Nexus 5.

Upvote 0
Orange are fecking useless, I'm still having problems with them 18 months after I closed my account.. on another note the update seems to have completely killed the WiFi can't pick anything up unless I'm sat on top of the bloody thing... Never was particularly brilliant however since the update it's appalling. As a comparison my wife's Samsung s2 running 4.1 from the same spot as my one x will get a full WiFi signal where as the one x can't even find the fecking thing...
Have to say I can't wait for my upgrade and probably won't be getting another HTC..

Upvote 0
Orange are fecking useless, I'm still having problems with them 18 months after I closed my account.. on another note the update seems to have completely killed the WiFi can't pick anything up unless I'm sat on top of the bloody thing... Never was particularly brilliant however since the update it's appalling. As a comparison my wife's Samsung s2 running 4.1 from the same spot as my one x will get a full WiFi signal where as the one x can't even find the fecking thing...
Have to say I can't wait for my upgrade and probably won't be getting another HTC..

So maybe in Orange's "testing" they spotted the wifi fault and are waiting for HTC to provide a fix for it? Many custom ROMs eg Maximus and ARHD feature fixes for the wifi performance - when I used Maximus last week the wifi performance was great.

Upvote 0
So maybe in Orange's "testing" they spotted the wifi fault and are waiting for HTC to provide a fix for it? Many custom ROMs eg Maximus and ARHD feature fixes for the wifi performance - when I used Maximus last week the wifi performance was great.

Maybe for once orange doing something right by hanging back if there is a known fault with the software.. I'm with three UK and they don't normally load it with extra crapware its pretty much straight htc sense, be interesting to see what happens when you finally get your upgrade. Been looking on the forum and there are a few others reporting the same problems with the wifi signal..

Upvote 0
Maybe for once orange doing something right by hanging back if there is a known fault with the software..

It wouldn't be the first time they've done that. There was a software release for the Desire HD that broke SMS notifications completely and was laden with various other, deal breaking bugs. Orange skipped that one whilst most other networks didn't.

Upvote 0
It wouldn't be the first time they've done that. There was a software release for the Desire HD that broke SMS notifications completely and was laden with various other, deal breaking bugs. Orange skipped that one whilst most other networks didn't.

Here's hoping they don't leave it too long - the One X isn't getting 4.3 and Sense 5.5 (according to Llabtoofer) so this could well be the final update for the device, unless HTC release a fix which hasn't happened yet. As the 4.2 update with iffy wifi performance was a couple of months ago you'd have thought they would have fixed it by now, wouldn't you?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones