• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 602 to 2nd init?

I just flashed cm7 gb. It seems nice enough, but I can't even reboot into recovery. I'm wondering if it has to do with the 602 aio rom. It just freezes at the bootlogo. I can't flash the data partition, I can't flash gapps. This is entirely frustrating to me.

Upvote 0
I can't get the .13 baseband to install. Any ideas?

Steven, what I did was flash the aio .596 updater for TBH. I followed their instructions which was format data, system, and cache. Then mount system.

After I had .596 installed I installed Rom Manager with CWR for droid x. I then installed d2 bootstrap as a failsafe. Rom Manager wouldn't boot into CWR for some reason so I booted into CWR via d2 bootstrap.

Once in CWR I did the same thing to install cm7 that I did to install .596. I formatted data, system, and cache and then mounted system. Then flashed CM7. After it was flashed I wiped data again just to be sure I wouldn't bootloop.

When my phone restarted it booted up without a problem and pretty fast too.

Upvote 0

Steven, what I did was flash the aio .596 updater for TBH. I followed their instructions which was format data, system, and cache. Then mount system.

After I had .596 installed I installed Rom Manager with CWR for droid x. I then installed d2 bootstrap as a failsafe. Rom Manager wouldn't boot into CWR for some reason so I booted into CWR via d2 bootstrap.

Once in CWR I did the same thing to install cm7 that I did to install .596. I formatted data, system, and cache and then mounted system. Then flashed CM7. After it was flashed I wiped data again just to be sure I wouldn't bootloop.

I understand, but were you able to get into cwr after you did all this?

Upvote 0
I understand, but were you able to get into cwr after you did all this?

No I wasn't at first for some reason. I installed Rom Manager when I was still on GB .596 and of course installed clockworkmod recovery for droid x. It wouldn't boot into recovery. It just kept rebooting the phone.

So I said the hell with it and went to the backup plan which was to boot into recovery via bootstrap. And that worked. Of course bootstrap was wiped out once I flashed CM7. And then once I was on CM7 I just installed clockworkmod for 2nd init and it then worked fine.

You may want to try .596 Steven I am reading allot of various posts at other sites about .602 causing problems when going to CM7. especially with clockworkmod.

Reactions: Steven58
Upvote 0
I know that from having been on it before. It still didn't work for me.

You did flash the 2nd-init version of CWR in RM after going to CM7 right?

FWIW the version of moto GB you go to (596, 602, etc) should not have anything to do with CM7 working or not. The only thing you take with you from those versions is the kernel. The rest is all erased when you install CM7. When I went to the GB version I rebooted to recovery, flashed the 602 AIO, stayed in CWR, cleared data/cache, and flashed the CM7GB zip. After a reboot I was good to go and I have been for over a week now.

I think the "problems" coming from 602 are purely speculative at least from my experience and the way the CM7 install works.

Also, I'm able to restore back and forth from 602 (had to sbf this weekend to troubleshoot something so I took a backup) to CM7GB with one small caveat. I can't do it right from ROM manager, I have to boot to recovery and manually do the restore. :)

Upvote 0
Cougar: [Mods] JakebitesMods v9 for DX OTA GB Kernel CM7 [Mods]

Bigbabys: if you want the GB CM7 (the one from cougar's link) , which I highly recommend over the FroYo 2nd-init one, you need to be on .602.

@Bigbabys i assumed you wanted to be on CM7 versus GB CM7. If GB CM7 is what you want then Rehpyc is steering you in the right direction.

to add to the above.....this is one more reason why im not going to give GB CM7 a shot just yet.

Upvote 0

No need to mount system. Just install zip from sdcard, install, and reboot. In fact, for flagging the new radio, just install it after wiping cache and dalvik; don't wipe system.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones