• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A thought about Touch Wiz

rm2092

Mar 28, 2010
First I'll start by saying that I have had the iPad and just sold that and I also have the Playbook witch I think the multitasking is the best out all three formats. I have been thinking of buying the 10.1 tab because of the size and today I had the chance to play with one at my local Best Buy that had the Touch Wiz installed. Anyways I was playing with the floating widgets and I have noticed there is a X on each corner to close the app, why did Android not incorporate that into all there apps so we would not have the need for a Task Manager to close apps, its similar to what Blackberry did with the Playbook. Anyways just my thoughts...

I think a better option would be a pop up asking if we want to close app or continue running whenever home button is pressed.

Great idea.
I'm also bothered a lot by this inconvenient feature on Android OS. I think it might work by writing a couple codes to modify the system on purpose. I tried but failed. Sorry, still a little new to the Android OS. Hope some one can do that.

Upvote 0
First I'll start by saying that I have had the iPad and just sold that and I also have the Playbook witch I think the multitasking is the best out all three formats. I have been thinking of buying the 10.1 tab because of the size and today I had the chance to play with one at my local Best Buy that had the Touch Wiz installed. Anyways I was playing with the floating widgets and I have noticed there is a X on each corner to close the app, why did Android not incorporate that into all there apps so we would not have the need for a Task Manager to close apps, its similar to what Blackberry did with the Playbook. Anyways just my thoughts...
I didn't see any close option. I think you mean the re-size for the widgets which can be stretched to various shapes?

Upvote 0
...Anyways I was playing with the floating widgets and I have noticed there is a X on each corner to close the app, why did Android not incorporate that into all there apps so we would not have the need for a Task Manager to close apps,...

Because in Android, apps don't actually continue running when exited. They are frozen in state, ready to start up again when opened. The only exceptions to this would be apps that are allowed to transmit/receive data while closed. There is no need to "end" the app because it isn't consuming any system resources when exited by the user. This is my understanding anyways.

Upvote 0
Because in Android, apps don't actually continue running when exited. They are frozen in state, ready to start up again when opened. The only exceptions to this would be apps that are allowed to transmit/receive data while closed. There is no need to "end" the app because it isn't consuming any system resources when exited by the user. This is my understanding anyways.
That's close enough...and yes there is no need for task killers, android takes very good care of resources.

Upvote 0
maybe an exception to this would be the stock browser. If left via the home Burton and the Web page you were on has an updating element to it i'm assuming this would drain resources? I like the ability to close browser without pressing back so many times.....this it's why I've always used dolphin browser. Click and hold back button and you know you're out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones