• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Access filings when connected to PC

I found the USB options from the notification menu. I changed it to Transfer Files. Then the XT1585 Windows Explorer just closed. I looked around, but I don't see the phone anywhere, even though it is said to USB Transfer Files. I removed the cables, tried again. When I hook it up, I see the XT1585, but then I change to Transfer Files, it goes away. See attached screenshot.
Screen.jpg

Upvote 0
There are two main types of USB cables .... Power only and Data w/power types.

Make certain the cable you are using also supports Data.

Other considerations and suggestions...

Only connect to a USB 2 connection on your computer... some USB 3 connections have compatibility issues with certain USB 2 devices ( like your phone ).

Try different USB ports on the computer in case the one you tried is having problems or is defective.

You can also test using another computer just to ensure it isn't the computer giving you trouble.

Upvote 0
The reason my screenshots didn't show the phone is because when I switch to File Transfer mode, it disappears from the Windows Explorer.

I tried again when I got home, starting first with my work computer running Windows 7. On that computer, it worked. When I clicked on File Transfer, it allowed me to open the XT1585, get to Internal Storage, and then get to the files. My work computer is a Thinkpad T430s

But on my personal computer, running Windows 10, same USB cable, not working. I tried the other USB port and the same thing happens. As soon as I click Transfer Files, any window open with XT1585 immediately closes. My personal PC is a Thinkpad Yoga. Went into Device Manager and it said the driver is up to date.

Upvote 0
I have a problem sometimes with Windows 7.

I will be connected and accessing a folder on my phone.

I add a file to that folder on the Android side and it is not visible on the Windows side.

Disconnect/connect sometimes works.

Sometimes I end up moving the file to a different folder on the Android side and it is visible at the new location when accessed from the Windows side.

Weird.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones