• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Accessing mass storage without booting?

PhiphyL

Lurker
Dec 23, 2015
Hi all,

This is my first post, and this is the kind of post in which I ask a bunch of people to save my life while exaggerating a little bit in saying "life". What I'm looking for here is to recover a year of memories, and possibly 4 months of Clash of Clans. But I'll be happy with just the memories.

My G2 isn't technically bricked. It just switches off right after Android boots (sometimes during boot), and will only rarely charge while off. I'm pretty sure this is a hardware issue, so all I actually want is to access mass storage without booting so I can get my thousand-something pictures back.

Here are the specs : LG G2 D802, origin : France (Orange), a bit more than 2 years old.
Firmware 4.4.2, completely original, I haven't touched anything as it was really fine. The phone is unrooted, no custom recovery added.
I could access download mode once. Can't access recovery mode.

If it helps, here were the initial symptoms :
- Was using my phone (82% battery), looked away, looked back and it was off (first time it happened)
- Turned it on, it turned off while loading Android
- Impossible to turn on afterwards
- Didn't charge at all (no red light)

So I ordered a battery on Amazon, received it quite fast, looks 100% legit (but used). Changed the battery, and at first it didn't change anything. However, I found that by plugging/unplugging the small connectors, at some point the phone would start on its own (without the on/off button). I'm not sure this is actually relevant since this doesn't change anything anymore.
The phone booted to desktop, I immediately plugged it to the PC, Android loaded the clock (it always takes a while to load), then it turned off. I tried to turn it on again and it didn't couldn't go past the LG logo. I had enough time to go to the DCIM folder of my phone (through the PC) and try to copy/paste it but it didn't work as the phone turned off while counting the files.
I managed to start it once again, immediately tried activating the Wifi to maybe go save my Clash of Clans game, it froze while activating the Wifi and turned off.
No other "successful" boot yesterday. However, and that was new, I could charge the phone and it charged completely as the LED was green this morning.
So, today, tried to turn it on, went to desktop but turned off before loading the clock. I had several other boots as well : once I wanted to turn it off manually myself, it froze before I could do so.

I can't access Recovery Mode, it's made harder by the fact that startup if very random and sometimes the on/off button isn't the way to turn it on. Sometimes it's plugging the battery, sometimes it's plugging the USB cable. I can't make any sense of this. Oh, and now it won't charge anymore.

I can clearly hear the connected/disconnected sounds on my PC when the phone is off and cable is plugged in. In the device manager it shows as QHSUSB_BULK with
USB\VID_05C6&PID_9008&REV_0000
USB\VID_05C6&PID_9008
showing somewhere in the properties.
Also, nothing on fastboot.

So, any idea how I can get my files back ? I don't need the device to work for good, and I certainly don't need to wipe the memory : the idea is to access it in some way.

Please note that I'm desperate enough to buy a second-hand G2 and transfer the memory if there's any way to do that.

Edit : just managed to get it turned on for a while ! No idea what happened. I began rebooting mid-boot, then got stuck for an entire minute on the LG screen, and finally booted fine. BUT Wifi didn't work to connect to other networks (when it finally detected one, which took several attempts, it wouldn't connect), Hotspot storage worked for two minutes (I transfered 20 photos, obviously the worthless ones came first) then stopped, so I plugged a USB cable... and it simply froze after 30 seconds, the same as my first boot post-problem.

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones