• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Airline Pilot Logbook

lenchan

The biggest problem you're going to have developing this app it there a millions of pilots around the world in different contries. Every Tom, Dick and Harry is going to say the app needs this or needs that. The fact is this is an app for made to run on a telephone, it's going to be impossible to have everything everybody wants. I suggest that you have a set of basic entry fields as you have e now, then give the user the ability to define his or her own fields. In short, make it customizable. Maybe easier said than done. Example - I could care less about Flight Instructor time or Dual, for me it's a worthless field. Others need both. I would like a cross counrty entry, others may not. If there were customizable fields the pilot could tailor to to their own needs.

Reactions: Tiennetti
Upvote 0
I absolutely agree with you

Every pilot, have different needings
JAA/FAA
Airline/General Aviation
Instructor/Dual
Captain/CoPilot

I actually don't care too much about night hours, others need x-country flights...

Is very difficult to have an app that fits well and is easy to use for everyone

The best thing could be some "editables" or maybe "selectables" fields

Upvote 0
The biggest problem you're going to have developing this app it there a millions of pilots around the world in different contries. Every Tom, Dick and Harry is going to day the app needs this or needs that. The fact is this is an app for a telephone, it's going to be impossible to have everything everybody wants.

Yes, we're literally flooded with requirements :) We're trying to accommodate as much as we can without deviating too much from our vision of intelliPilot.

All feedback (positive/negative) are very welcome. I do note recently on the Android Market that there are quite negative comments (and low ratings for that matter) from some pilots, but they don't contact us at all for rectification/discussion!

I suggest that you have a set of basic entry fields, than give the user the ability to define his or her own fields. In short, make it customizable. Maybe easier said than done. Example - I could care less about Flight Instructor time or Dual, for me it's a worthless field. Other need both. If there were customizable field the pilot could tailor to to their own needs.

Yes, easier said than done :(

1. It is easy enough to show/hide fields, but to lay them out is a different story. The current screen was designed to present the fields in a compact and logical way. We're now thinking hard to allow fields to be selectable while not disrupting the layout too much.

2. In later release, there will be a facility to include your own custom fields in addition to the basic ones.

3. We're also exploring the idea of profile (e.g. airline pilot, GA pilot, instructor, cargo pilot) so that a bundle of fields will be made available for a specific profile. This probably won't be implemented till later releases.

Is very difficult to have an app that fits well and is easy to use for everyone. The best thing could be some "editables" or maybe "selectables" fields

Yes, very true. The flight details page is just a part of the requirements. Pilots have ambitious requirements on scheduling integration/import, reporting, etc, etc.

We'll implement some ways to select the fields needed.

Anyway, it is fun developing this app, and I hope everyone is enjoying the use of the beta.

Upvote 0
Ignore the negative feed back if that person isn't suggesting new ideas.

Thanks for your encouragement. We're mature enough to not feel offended by negative comments :)

Remember this is an app that's only a few weeks old. I for one enjoy helping out. As it stands it's very good, very impressive considering its age. Pilots that use Android should all thank you.

Yes, it's been only a few weeks - just seems such a long time. Again, thanks for your testing and feedback.

Upvote 0
Yes, very true. The flight details page is just a part of the requirements. Pilots have ambitious requirements on scheduling integration/import, reporting, etc, etc.

We'll implement some ways to select the fields needed.

Anyway, it is fun developing this app, and I hope everyone is enjoying the use of the beta.

Absolutely enjoying it so far!!
Peoples should understand that is only a beta...

Even a this beta stage the app is very stable and almost flawless
People can already use the app for flight recording "as it is", any improvement that will come is just an "added feature"

Thank you so much for the job

Upvote 0
My 2 cents worth.

I am a B747-400 Captain flying to and from airports around the world. I have tried 3 previous log book programmes on my Winmo device over the years and the one that wins hands down is Pilotspal (Pilots Pal - Logbook Management Simplified). It wins in many ways and it is the reason why I didn't go with a droid phone with my recent upgrade. One of the primary reasons it wins is the desktop interface and synchronisation. It enables me to set dates for alerts for recency, medical, licence and passport renewal. I am also able to set limits for duty hours and receive alerts for these too. Another big winner is the fact that from the desktop interface I am able to print my logbook in JAA standard or at the click of a few boxes, FAA format. If you could match this kind of user functionality I would ditch my HD2 and go droid for sure.

I currently pay GBP50 a year for the pleasure of using Pilotspal. Go have a look and see what they look like and see what you think. I know several people here with droid phones that would love to see an app like Pilotspal for them. The way your app looks at the moment, it doesn't suit my needs I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
Do you have a estimated time of when your version with customized airport codes becomes available?

Honestly i cant use this untill i can put in my own codes becuase 99% of my flying is all back country small airports..

But yes i want to ... i think its great and your doing a good job of working with people to get what they need into the app.. I give you 50 stars :)

Upvote 0
Do you have a estimated time of when your version with customized airport codes becomes available? Honestly i cant use this untill i can put in my own codes becuase 99% of my flying is all back country small airports.

Sorry about the hassle. The next release v0.2.6 (due in a few days) will have an extra 5000 airports added and also allow you to add/update the airports.

Upvote 0
I've only been playing with this for just a few days... Just got my EVO.
For some strange reason I can find this App very easy, with a search in Android Market, but a friend of mine can not. Is there anything he can do different to find it or is there a way I can email him an address to get it?
When he searches Android Market for intelliPilot it comes up with nothing found. He has the Hero on Sprint and I have the EVO on Sprint.
Can anyone help my friend install it on his Hero?

Also, some other sugestions...

1 - Can you make it so I don't have to enter the Second pilots name every leg. Maybe a button to click for same crew as last flight or leg. I fly with the same guy for 3 or 4 days and have multiple legs, it would be a lot easier if I didn't have type in his name every leg.

2 - The total flight time should automatically go to PIC Day (or where you default it to, or touch first) and then subtract from PIC day when you enter PIC Night.

This is a great start and thanks for doing this!!!

Upvote 0
When he searches Android Market for intelliPilot it comes up with nothing found. He has the Hero on Sprint and I have the EVO on Sprint.

Is his Hero on Android 1.5 or 1.6? intelliPilot is only compatible with 1.6 or above. I believe there is an update to 2.1 for the Hero?

Having said that, I think there is something weird about the Market. Some phones (maybe network dependent) have problems seeing some apps.

UPDATE: Google claimed that they have resolved the apps visibility problem. See Android Developers Blog: Application Visibility Issues.

1 - Can you make it so I don't have to enter the Second pilots name every leg. Maybe a button to click for same crew as last flight or leg. I fly with the same guy for 3 or 4 days and have multiple legs, it would be a lot easier if I didn't have type in his name every leg.

In the next release (v0.2.6), we have added a feature to "Add a leg" from the context menu. This will copy the arrival airport to the departing airport, copy the aircraft reg and type, and crew members.

We're a bit behind with the release of v0.2.6, but it should be out by the end of this week.

2 - The total flight time should automatically go to PIC Day (or where you default it to, or touch first) and then subtract from PIC day when you enter PIC Night.

At the moment, if your PIC time is either all day or night, you can long press on the PIC Day or PIC Night field, and it will default to the duration. If you want to enter a split between day and night times, you have to enter manually.

After v0.2.6, it is likely that we'll implement one of the following options:

1. You enter the night time manually, and then long press on day time, and it sets day time = (duration - night time).

2. Get rid of day time altogether and just have a total time plus a night time. Total time defaults to duration, and you just enter your night time.

This is a great start and thanks for doing this!!!

Thanks for your comments and feedback.

Upvote 0
intelliPilot v0.2.6 is out now.

Main Changes/enchancements:

- Added about 5000 airports (up to 9877 airports)
- Added search, add and edit facilities for airports
- Added Add next leg and Add flight with same crews in the context menu
- Added instructor times
- Added cross country flag
- Allow export file to be emailed

If you are using HTC Sense UI handsets (e.g. EVO, Desire, Hero, Magic), and you find the screen cut off on the right or weirdly formatted, please either PM or email us.

Reactions: FlyboyJr
Upvote 0
Awesome Update!!! YOU ROCK!

To find: Add next leg and Add flight with same crews
-Long touch the last flight entry to find the menu.

Great.

Some of the features (e.g. context menu, quick entry) may not be obvious at first glance, so to make the most of the app, I suggest people to have a quick walkthrough of the app on our web site. We have over a dozen of screenshots with detailed explanation.

Upvote 0
Will this work with the HTC Hero Droid phone? I can't seem to have the link work for the intelliPilot to work on my HTC. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. I'm an airline pilot for a large commercial airline.

You can use the QR code from our web page (intelliPilot - Pilot LogBook) to download it from the Market if you like. Current beta version is v0.2.6.

Oh, what version of Android is the HTC Droid on? intelliPilot requires 1.6 or above.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones