• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Alien disclosure....

It's highly debatable as to whether there is any intelligent life on Earth.

Hmm

I dunno about that my friend,

We have been to the moon and back, almost made particles reach the speed of light and I think there are some really smart people on this planet but sadly at the same time there are some real stupido people too...

Large Hadron Collider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Almost made particles reach the speed of light)

Moon landing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I disagree with their being no intelligent life on Earth or one saying it is debatable.

It is very clear that there are a lot of smart people in this world.

Upvote 0
PS. Civil war kill more usa people then ww1 and ww2 combined.

So? The US had almost no civilian deaths and entered the war late.
The US had a huge industrial base which meant they were equipped well.
All the places they fought in had a pro Allies population up to Germany.

I was talking about WWII but that applies to WWI too (although that was a completely different type of war)

Upvote 0
Honestly? You will honestly say that all and all we are not better off then we where 100 years ago, 200 years ago?

Just take a look at the number
List of wars and anthropogenic disasters by death toll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the last 50 years has been better in mass murder vs the 50 years before that.

PS. Civil war kill more usa people then ww1 and ww2 combined.

The US has only a small fraction of the total population of the planet. I'm talking about the species.

According to your list humanity killed at least 200 million of it's own kind in the last century.

Humanity is the only species that routinely kills it's own kind. We do it in tremendous volume with industrial technology. Putting a few men on the moon and smashing some atoms does not compensate for that.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat." -- Kay, MIB

Upvote 0
So? The US had almost no civilian deaths and entered the war late.
The US had a huge industrial base which meant they were equipped well.
All the places they fought in had a pro Allies population up to Germany.

I was talking about WWII but that applies to WWI too (although that was a completely different type of war)

The war was also fought almost entirely in Europe.

Upvote 0
And the Pacific for the US ;)
I'm just saying that its not really an indicator of the scale of the civil war

I think we're saying the same thing, just in different ways. The US civil war had a devastating effect on the US. The country spent years rebuilding and sorting out how to re-admit States to the union. The South had the idea before the war of building an economic super power based on free slave labor. That fell apart and the economy in the south was in trouble years later. The war was fought entirely on US soil so all civilian deaths (which there always are in a war) were US citizens.

Fast forward to WWII and it had a similar devastating effect on Europe. US civilian casualties were minimal because the war was fought almost exclusively away from US citizens. It's foolish to claim that WWII was not as severe as the US Civil War because it had fewer American casualties. WWII was by far a much more devastating war.

Reactions: ElasticNinja
Upvote 0
So i've been keeping dibs on the whole alien phenomenon. What's your take on the possibility of aliens making contact with us orrrrrr are they already amongst us? Disguised as us living a day to day life, keeping tabs on us....

Disguised as us? Living day life? Keeping tabs?

Aliens aren't X-Men. They aren't going to turn into a rock or morph into a kitten.

These absurd notions are what throw real alien discussions off track.

Reactions: NNN and B2L
Upvote 0
It is highly unlikely that aliens would attempt to make physical contact with us unless they are in fact hostile. We seem to assume that the more advanced a culture is the more likely it will lean toward peace. This is probably wishful thinking. Aggression and war are leading factors in the development of technology.
Computers were developed to better calculate the targeting angles for firing projectiles.
Rocketry did not begin to seriously advance until someone decided to fix a warhead to one.
Nuclear power owes it's existence to the development of ever more powerful atomic weaponry.
The "space race" was more about superpowers demonstrating their "heavy lift" capacity for weaponry then it was about sending men into space or to the moon. That's why Sputnik was such a shock to America. If the Russians could orbit a satellite then they could also hurl and ICBM from Siberia to U.S. soil.
An alien species that could develop the technology to propel them across the sea of stars would likely have developed that technology the same way we have. On the battlefield. A peaceful species would be more likely to maintain a technological statu quo.

Upvote 0
The simple fact is, every generation is less violent, less hungry, and less destructive as the last.
Are we talking about this planet or somewhere else in the federation?

SpockVulcan.jpg

Upvote 0
It is highly unlikely that aliens would attempt to make physical contact with us unless they are in fact hostile. We seem to assume that the more advanced a culture is the more likely it will lean toward peace. This is probably wishful thinking. Aggression and war are leading factors in the development of technology.
Computers were developed to better calculate the targeting angles for firing projectiles.
Rocketry did not begin to seriously advance until someone decided to fix a warhead to one.
Nuclear power owes it's existence to the development of ever more powerful atomic weaponry.
The "space race" was more about superpowers demonstrating their "heavy lift" capacity for weaponry then it was about sending men into space or to the moon. That's why Sputnik was such a shock to America. If the Russians could orbit a satellite then they could also hurl and ICBM from Siberia to U.S. soil.
An alien species that could develop the technology to propel them across the sea of stars would likely have developed that technology the same way we have. On the battlefield. A peaceful species would be more likely to maintain a technological statu quo.

You assume that "Aggression and war are leading factors in the development of technology" applies across the cosmos. Perhaps we are the only violent race in the cosmos and we are thought of as the Universe's back alley where those humans will stab you if you visit.

We will not know until we know.

Upvote 0
I think intelligent life elsewhere is quite likely. After all, we have only really explored one solar system closely with cameras and probes and it has life/intelligence - Earth.

So far one planet out of 8 has life and intelligent life. :)

And the building blocks of life are being found on the other bodies in our system.

But do I think intelligent aliens have come here? I have yet to see any compelling evidence that it is so.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones