1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

All Things Sci/Fi-Fantasy

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ocnbrze, Jan 31, 2013.

1. psionandy

psionandy Extreme Android User

I'm a big fan of Cory Doctorow.... he gives most of his ebooks away for free...
    So I buy the paper copy to put on my shelf (I think of it as a down payment on whatever he's writing next)

dontpanicbobby and NightAngel79 like this.
  2. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

I went to half price books couple weeks ago... lets just say I dropped more than a C note :)

3. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Conan the Barbarian:
    The Complete Collection
    Is available for free download at the Amazon Kindle store. You'll need the Kindle app on your Android device to read it. Here's a link to the stories and get the Kindle app for free in the Play Store.

Gmash, NightAngel79 and Dngrsone like this.
  4. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Android Expert

Thanks for that heads-up. You can get Tarzan, John Carter collections for cheap, as well as an H. P. Lovecraft anthology.

psionandy likes this.
  5. NightAngel79

Administrator

Has to be kindle app? Can't use a kindle? (reading article now)

6. NightAngel79

Administrator

Never mind, you can buy right from browser and deliver to any of your linked devices. I just sent it to my kindle.

Great find bobby

dontpanicbobby and psionandy like this.
  7. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Why can't you get the Kindle app NightAngel79? Is it a work phone/device?

8. NightAngel79

Administrator

No, I just don't like reading on a phone screen. Kindle cloud reader in a pinch, but *nothing* compares to my Kindle Paperwhite

Gmash likes this.
  9. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

I've been happily reading e-books since the Pocket PC days on those smaller screens. How big is a Kindle Paperwhite screen?

10. NightAngel79

Administrator

6" But it isn't really about the size. Prolonged use staring at LCD screens can tire the eyes out. The E-Ink screens are amazing, and damned near like looking at a real book. You can also read them in direct sunlight (try that with a smart device screen) and the paperwhite has a built in light for reading in the dark, that isn't so bright it hurts the eyes.

11. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I've finished reading all of the Game Of Thrones books. So while I'm waiting for Mr Martin to conclude the series with the last two books, I'm looking for a good book series that I can really get into. Any recommendations?
    Preferably Sci-Fi/Fantasy, but will consider something different.

NightAngel79 likes this.
  12. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Android Expert

Any particular sub-genres?

I got a list a mile long...

Deleted User likes this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Hit me. Start with your best recommendations

psionandy likes this.
  14. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

If your into Military Sci-fi and if you haven't read them yet try the Vorkasigan Saga. Been e-books has them and you can try Good Reads. If I were to start it over again I'd star with "The Warrior's Apprentice". Lois McMaster s Bujold is the author.

Deleted User likes this.
  15. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Android Expert

Okay, if you are looking for series...

First, the standard against which nearly all fantasy is compared: J.R.R. Tolkien. The Hobbit is a children's book, but almost a mandatory read before you tear into the Lord fo the Rings trilogy. Similar series in the Fantasy Genre (and which have all been compared to LotR) include Terry Brooks' Shannarra series, and Stephen R. Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books (Donaldson has some pretty good science fiction, too. I just finished reading his Gap Cycle series).

Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy is also good, and of course there is the now-ubiquitous Potterverse of J.K. Rowling.

In sci/fi, there are the military books like the aforementioned Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold, which I have yet to read myself, but it is highly regarded, as well as David Weber's Honorverse and Elizabeth Moon's Serrano books (Moon also has a great fantasy series, The Deeds of Paksenarion).

For hard sci/fi, there are a few standalone books which I like: Bones Burnt Black by Stephen Euin Cobb, and []The Martian[/i] by Andy Weir.

I like everything C.J. Cherryh has done, though I am a few books behind in her Foreigner series. I also read anything put out by C.S. Friedman.

Mind you, this is only the tip of the glacier... I can make more specific recommendations if you are into certain genres, such children's literature, hard sf, space opera, steampunk, super-powered fiction, urban fantasy, non-fic, etc.

#165 Dngrsone, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    dontpanicbobby and Deleted User like this.
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Thanks, some good ideas to look into there. I read LOTR and The Hobbit a long time ago, and also the Thomas Covenant series. I never re-read a book.

17. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Android Expert

I have gotten old enough that I can reread favorites, because I've forgotten most of the details.

I read this wonderful biography about Tolkien, which inspired me to reread his books, but not only the Hobbit/LotR, but The Silmarillion even, which reads more like a history book, but is the greater background upon which the other books are set. Unfortunately, his stuff is so well-written, I had to take a month off from reading anything else in order to not be disappointed with whatever I picked up next . :rolleyes:

Deleted User and psionandy like this.
  18. NightAngel79

Administrator

Brent Weeks NightAngel series (where username comes from ;)
    His LightBringer series is also excellent, book 4 (5 book series) just came out.

Deleted User likes this.
  19. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Came out as an e-book?

20. Dngrsone

Dngrsone Android Expert

Was in the closet for a while, is all...

21. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

I'll check it out tomorrow.

22. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

Philip K Dick, Murray Leinster, Roger Zelazny, Charles Stross, Christpher Priest, Paolo Bacigalupi, Piers Anthony.
    Specific books -
    Body of Glass - Marge Piercy
    The Year Of The Flood - Margaret Attwood
    Tiger Tiger - Alfred Bester
    Nonstop and Greybeard - Brian W Aldiss

I could go on almost indefinitely.....

NightAngel79 and ocnbrze like this.
  23. NightAngel79

Administrator

There's a great group on FB run by a bunch of independent Epic Fantasy authors, Epic Fantasy Fanatics. SOme great discussion and great group, stop by and tell them NightAngel sent ya!!!