• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android 4.0.4 problems

The Linux version of the HoB utility work on Macs, but there is some assembly required.

I, personally, have always been leery of refurbished units b/c I've heard numerous people who go through a second, then third, then 4th, etc. device once they get a replacement. However, to save time, this might be the best thing to do for you, Linda.

Upvote 0
Linda, If you don't mind me repeating myself - call Verizon support and ask for a refurb. Don't go into a store; the last time I was in a store for support, I was told that the stores can no longer do warranty swaps, and will refer you to calling support anyway. And you may as well call to get an explanation why your upgrade date is not 20 months after your last purchase. It sounds like something is wrong there for sure.

This is a replacement phone, that I got to appease the VZW lackeys when I was having 4G connectivity problems. The problems were their fault, because they were still trying to get 4G fully implemented in my area, but they wouldn't admit they were at fault.

There is something wrong for sure, and a big part of it is that I like Motorola, and VZW (usually) has the best selection, so silly me, I went with VZW. My experience with them, and their customer support, has been horrible.

Upvote 0
The Linux version of the HoB utility work on Macs, but there is some assembly required.

I, personally, have always been leery of refurbished units b/c I've heard numerous people who go through a second, then third, then 4th, etc. device once they get a replacement. However, to save time, this might be the best thing to do for you, Linda.

I'm on a replacement device already. Because VZW wouldn't admit that the 4G problems people were having (myself included) were all their fault.

This particular phone is my 3rd. Yes, 3rd. Because of 4G, not because of anything else. All within the first 4 months of service. It took another 2 months for VZW to get 4G straightened out. But after that, I had no more problems until ICS.

Verizon has been less than helpful, the whole way through this. I called them when I first had the GPS issues, and they said so an FDR. I did. Nothing improved. I called back, and they said there was nothing more they could offer, but maybe Google would fix ICS. I asked about getting an early upgrade, and was told full retail price. It would be cheaper and easier for me just to pay the early termination fee and go elsewhere. But they have the best selection of Motorola's.

Can you explain the "some assembly required"? How involved is it?

Upvote 0
[quote name='SamuriHL']Yes, the HoB does work on the Mac. I've not updated the Linux version in a while so it lacks some of the refinements of the Windows version. Setting it up, for example, isn't as simple. But, the FXZ Keep Data option seems like it'd be a useful thing to try. It's not too hard to set up. Gotta grab the Linux/Mac HoB archive, extract it to a folder, then create a 246_FXZ dir and extract the FXZ files to the ROOT of the 246_FXZ folder. No sub-folders. Then make the ./HouseOfBionic.sh file executable and run it. In theory, it should work.[/quote]

[quote name='SamuriHL']Yea, there's no way to make an "easy install" like we have for Windows on a mac or linux cause they're all so different. I just make a tarball of the HoB itself, then you have to create the 246_FXZ folder in it and extract the files into it. I want to provide the same kind of functionality that I have on Windows but I haven't had a chance to work on the linux version. With Windows you just stick the FXZ zip in the 246_FXZ dir and the script detects it and does the rest. I'll get to it at some point but there's a lot that has to be added to the linux version and I need a solid couple of hours to do it.[/quote]

This is from another forum, so I had to remove the forum quotation link, but he is the developer of the HoB utility I alluded to, and this is in direct response to when I asked him about HoB *nix version in relation to your problems.

Since doogald runs Macs he would be able to help out with anther method, if possible.

Reactions: Linda1025
Upvote 0
[quote name='SamuriHL']Yes, the HoB does work on the Mac. I've not updated the Linux version in a while so it lacks some of the refinements of the Windows version. Setting it up, for example, isn't as simple. But, the FXZ Keep Data option seems like it'd be a useful thing to try. It's not too hard to set up. Gotta grab the Linux/Mac HoB archive, extract it to a folder, then create a 246_FXZ dir and extract the FXZ files to the ROOT of the 246_FXZ folder. No sub-folders. Then make the ./HouseOfBionic.sh file executable and run it. In theory, it should work.

[quote name='SamuriHL']Yea, there's no way to make an "easy install" like we have for Windows on a mac or linux cause they're all so different. I just make a tarball of the HoB itself, then you have to create the 246_FXZ folder in it and extract the files into it. I want to provide the same kind of functionality that I have on Windows but I haven't had a chance to work on the linux version. With Windows you just stick the FXZ zip in the 246_FXZ dir and the script detects it and does the rest. I'll get to it at some point but there's a lot that has to be added to the linux version and I need a solid couple of hours to do it.[/quote]

This is from another forum, so I had to remove the forum quotation link, but he is the developer of the HoB utility I alluded to, and this is in direct response to when I asked him about HoB *nix version in relation to your problems.

Since doogald runs Macs he would be able to help out with anther method, if possible.[/QUOTE]

I didn't understand any of what SamuriHL said, so unless doogald can help, I'm basically out of luck and stuck with subpar software that gives a subpar performance.

Thanks for looking into it for me. I do appreciate it.

Upvote 0
I really wish I was not on vacation in Hawai'i - I'd be able to walk you through using HoB *nix edition to get a fresh install of ICS to verify once and for all if it is hardware or software.

Hopefully doogald can help. Keep us posted - if need be, and you can schedule time that we can work out with the time difference, et me know and I'll walk you through using HoB on your Mac.

Upvote 0
I really wish I was not on vacation in Hawai'i - I'd be able to walk you through using HoB *nix edition to get a fresh install of ICS to verify once and for all if it is hardware or software.

Hopefully doogald can help. Keep us posted - if need be, and you can schedule time that we can work out with the time difference, et me know and I'll walk you through using HoB on your Mac.

I've been offline the past couple days myself.

I need to do something because it's taking forever on the "searching for GPS" (upwards of 25 minutes), and it's happening more often. The odd routing and rerouting in the middle of a drive is happening again. The location problems haven't come back, and I've only had the bounce issue once. Recalibrating helped with the bounce, but not so much with the routing.

Upvote 0
I have Macs, but I don't have a Bionic anymore, so, unfortunately, I'm sorry to say that I can't help in this case.

Well, as John mentioned perhaps you could help with the Mac part, and he can help with the Bionic part.

I need need to do something.

I called 611 and it took 4 calls to get my upgrade date changed. It is now 7/28/13. Seems when they swapped me to a different brand phone (in an effort to resolve *THEIR* 4G issues), the manager at the store did it as an early upgrade, which extended my contract. Except she never told me that's what she was doing.

After all that, I wasn't ready to fight with them to try for a new phone. Besides, I'm hoping there will be more options than just variations of the Razr, and the Droid 4, when I'm ready to upgrade.

Upvote 0
If you can walk her through the process of getting HoB set up I can walk through the process of actually running it (which basically is just a matter of running a shell script).

I would like to be able to save my data (what I have left of it anyway), even if it doesn't get back on the phone. Just to have it, as a backup, just in case...

Upvote 0
If you can walk her through the process of getting HoB set up I can walk through the process of actually running it (which basically is just a matter of running a shell script).

I would like to be able to save my data (what I have left of it anyway), even if it doesn't get back on the phone. Just to have it, as a backup, just in case...

Ok, I'm on it. Now I need to find those files...

Ok, I gathered all of the files. I saved a step and created a subfolder called "246_FXZ" and put the "VRZ_XT875_6.7.246.XT875.Verizon.en.US_CFC_01.xml.zip" file in that folder. I read and reread the FAQ and I am pretty certain that this is a proper setup.

I re-zipped the files into a file called HOB.zip, which I uploaded to my domain here: http://doogald.net/android/HOB.zip

The MD5, for anybody who needs it, is fea26c70faee1241bfb27722f898842e. The file is 449.3 MB (the Mac Finder for Lion and Mountain Lion will say that it is 471.1 MB). Again, it already includes the FXZ file in the proper folder.

Linda, if you download it using Safari, it should be downloaded to your Downloads folder in your home directory. Double-click on the "HOB.zip" file and it will create a folder in your Downloads folder called "HOB" with all of the required files.

To actually run the utility, in your Applications folder in the Finder, you will find a folder called "Utilities". (You can get there quickly by going the Finder's "Go" menu and choosing "Utilities", or even quicker by doing the keystroke Cmd-Shift-U.) In the Utilities folder is an application called "Terminal" - double-click that. This will open a text window with the last text line having a prompt ending in "$" that should look something like:

[HIGH]computername:~ username $[/HIGH]

With your Mac's computername and your user account name, of course.

If you've downloaded the file and double-clicked the "HOB.zip" file in your downloads folder, you should be able to type the following command:

[HIGH]cd ~/Downloads/HOB[/HIGH]

(You can just highlight the text above, copy it to the clipboard, and paste it into the Terminal with Cmd-V. "cd" stands for "change directory". The "~" is a placeholder for your home folder. There is a space between "cd" and "~/Downloads/HOB".)

Unless there is an error message, the prompt should change to this:

[HIGH]computername:HOB username $[/HIGH]

You can verify that the proper files are there by typing the command to list all of the files in the folder, which is this command:

[HIGH]ls -l[/HIGH]

(That's letter L, letter S, space, dash, lower- case letter L)

This should list the following on the terminal window:

[HIGH]total 328
drwxr-xr-x 3 user staff 102 Jan 10 11:55 246_FXZ
-rwxr--r--@ 1 user staff 84763 Oct 27 11:54 House of Bionic FAQ.htm
-rwxr--r--@ 1 user staff 50816 Oct 27 11:57 House of Bionic.htm
-rwxr-xr-x 1 user staff 23846 Oct 10 05:43 HouseOfBionic.sh
-rw-r--r-- 1 user staff 624 Oct 10 05:46 README
drwxr-xr-x@ 5 user staff 170 Oct 3 09:51 root
drwxr-xr-x@ 11 user staff 374 Oct 10 03:30 utils[/HIGH]

(The "user" on each line will have your user name instead. Otherwise, it should be exactly the same.)

At this point let's wait for John L Galt to verify that everything I have done is right, and point out anything that you need to do on the Bionic. (I do know that the battery should be fully charged, and you will need to connect the phone to the computer using the Bionic's USB cable, and I believe that you'll have to enable USB debugging on the phone - I'll let John verify that.) You can leave the Terminal running so that it's ready to run the script.

However, when John verifies that you are ready, you will run the script from the terminal by entering the following command:

[HIGH]./HouseOfBionic.sh[/HIGH]

That "period-slash" at the beginning of the line is important.

Anyway, I hope that this works out!

Upvote 0
Doogald can a mac utilize fastboot commands?

Yes, it sure can; there is a fastboot-mac utility. The House of Bionic files include the utility (which he has as fastboot.osx.)

The Mac is actually a great Android platform. You don't have to install any crazy manufacturer drivers - just plug in the phone and the Mac can see the phone. Linux, of course, is the same.

Reactions: OutOfPhase
Upvote 0
Linda is not a computer savant and does not know how to fastboot, and since HoB already contains several scripts that give her the choice to flash or flash without losing data, plus root, plus a couple of other things.

Next time, though, that might be a viable option. :D

Doogald - all looks good from this end.

Linda - here it is - let me know hen you're ready to start.

Reactions: OutOfPhase
Upvote 0
I guess she gave up. Too bad. All that work from you guys to help her and she disappears. :mad::argh:

I don't have this problem (I don't have a Bionic) but I googled android 4.0.4 problems and this was the first link I read.

I hope she comes back with some info on what she did or didn't do or if she gave up and either dealt with the problem or got a new/refurb phone by pushing vzw to fix it. I will never be on a contract ever again. I am now with Straight Talk and love it. Contracts cause more problems than they help. I guess if you only ever want one free phone for 2 years then it's fine but if something goes wrong (like this) typically any cell phone service provider (in my experience) refuses to help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones