• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android connect to router WiFi, and then tether that?

KingNeil

Dec 24, 2012
Is there any way to connect to a WiFi router with your Android phone, and then share that connection, by using the phone as a hotspot?

Like.. I know you can wirelessly tether your 3G connection.... but can you tether your router's WiFi connection...?

The purpose of this would be to increase the signal further.

Wifi modules most often have to be put into a different mode in order to work in one or the other modes of operation. Similar to a master/slave designation for a BT module (not exactly the same tho really). Point is even if the hardware is technically capable, chances are that the pins are pulled high or low accordingly such that you can't. Again all depends on the Wifi IC on each particular phone so it wouldn't even be economical to create an app really because there are just so many implementations of Wifi ICs.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure on my phone SGS3 I can tether by connecting to wifi then tethering it out through USB to ur laptop.

I know for a fact that using certain linux modules (also included in android) you can route internet connections via IP tables any which way. I used to do that for embedded development by connecting my laptop to the internet via wifi then using the ethernet device on my laptop to be the DHCP server for my embedded system (running android/linux).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones