• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Droid owners watching the Apple WWDC?

Yeah, I think it has pretty terrible build quality. I can only go on my experience, so I'm not making a statement about every Droid ever made, but my 1st went bad with a loose headphone jack and busted Power button. Now my 2nd has a bad proximity sensor. Also, my Droid, both of them, have slid open in my pockets and killed the battery since day one, which is a problem with the form factor, I would say. My old iPod Touch has old software, but the build seems bulletproof, that's all. You may really like your Droid, I've just been disappointed. The iPhone just seems so solid to me whenever I've handled one.

Bulletproof? 50% of the people I know with an iPod touch or an iPhone has a cracked screen from a small drop. My droid has fallen twice from 3 feet onto asphalt and only scuffed the shiny trim around the screen.

Upvote 0
Bulletproof? 50% of the people I know with an iPod touch or an iPhone has a cracked screen from a small drop. My droid has fallen twice from 3 feet onto asphalt and only scuffed the shiny trim around the screen.

I know I know, everyone has their own anecdotal evidence. But wouldn't I be a moron if I bought a phone, had it break twice, and didn't think about getting a different one because you know people who've had problems? All I know is my Droid experience has been a bad one, but I'm still loving Android. Also, the one good thing about being #1, which Apple is unfortunately, is that you can buy about 99,000 different cases for the iPhone. The Droid doesn't have nearly as many (I got the Body Glove and didn't like it), which is the problem with having so many Android phones; it's hard to make accessories tailored to it when a new model/phone will come out in 1/2 a year.

Upvote 0
Jobs getting pissed when his precious phone wasn't cooperating was awesome...or should I say everyone but the phone. He was totally getting mad at the audience for not shutting off their wifi signal. I was listening to it on cnet and reading about it on macrumors.com. I thought it was great when someone yelled out, "try Verizon". Hahaha.

Upvote 0
Jobs getting pissed when his precious phone wasn't cooperating was awesome...or should I say everyone but the phone. He was totally getting mad at the audience for not shutting off their wifi signal. I was listening to it on cnet and reading about it on macrumors.com. I thought it was great when someone yelled out, "try Verizon". Hahaha.

I'm still waiting for someone to be running jasiger during the keynote and replace all the jpegs in all the webpages with gotese.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think it has pretty terrible build quality. I can only go on my experience, so I'm not making a statement about every Droid ever made, but my 1st went bad with a loose headphone jack and busted Power button. Now my 2nd has a bad proximity sensor. Also, my Droid, both of them, have slid open in my pockets and killed the battery since day one, which is a problem with the form factor, I would say. My old iPod Touch has old software, but the build seems bulletproof, that's all. You may really like your Droid, I've just been disappointed. The iPhone just seems so solid to me whenever I've handled one.

My Droids running awesome. The scroll wheel thing on both my iPods broke. I have to push hard as hell to get the play button to maybe register that it was pressed. I don't throw em around or beat em up either. They mostly just sit in a drawer until I travel somewhere. Everyone has its fair share of jacked up products. look at all the iMac and macbook crap they have the past several launches.

Upvote 0

I know I heard him yelling at them on a live audio stream before they turned off the wifi haha. I really hope they don't edit that out when they post the video.

Upvote 0
I'm going to be honest I don't understand the hatred of Apple. If you don't like their products fine but it seems like some people would hate whatever they put out. It could be a perfect product in every way and people would still hate it. The iPhone looks nice to me but until they get away from AT&T I won't get one. If they ever come to Verizon I would then have a decision to make.

Upvote 0
I'm going to be honest I don't understand the hatred of Apple. If you don't like their products fine but it seems like some people would hate whatever they put out. It could be a perfect product in every way and people would still hate it. The iPhone looks nice to me but until they get away from AT&T I won't get one. If they ever come to Verizon I would then have a decision to make.

no hating here (for me that is)

I make a living on Apple products. Looking at 4 machines right now. Been using since early 90's. I love their products and even the iPhone. Wanted one badly

BUT..

1. ATT is a 100% no go for me. ever. I don't care what they have or ever get.

2. they do have a serious issue with exerting to much force to keep their products closed and locked down to people smarter than those they have on staff. They need to be more open source. There are guys with fatter brains that don't want to work for the man, so instead, they now work on the Android platform since it is open source. Open is good, Apple lags behind here. And has made it clear, they have little interest in this area. I want the best people in the world working on the techie products I want to use, and for the most part Apple has them, but they are missing the boat on making it so closed and hard for dev's to want to jump on board when Android makes it so much.

3. The Android platform just seems to integrate more into ones daily life. And right out of the box, does things - and did - theirs is just now trying to catch up to. So much awesome Google cloud tools integration.

Upvote 0

I make a living on Apple products. Looking at 4 machines right now. Been using since early 90's. I love their products and even the iPhone. Wanted one badly

BUT..

1. ATT is a 100% no go for me. ever. I don't care what they have or ever get.

2. they do have a serious issue with exerting to much force to keep their products closed and locked down to people smarter than those they have on staff. They need to be more open source. There are guys with fatter brains that don't want to work for the man, so instead, they now work on the Android platform since it is open source. Open is good, Apple lags behind here. And has made it clear, they have little interest in this area. I want the best people in the world working on the techie products I want to use, and for the most part Apple has them, but they are missing the boat on making it so closed and hard for dev's to want to jump on board when Android makes it so much.

3. The Android platform just seems to integrate more into ones daily life. And right out of the box, does things - and did - theirs is just now trying to catch up to. So much awesome Google cloud tools integration.

I agree with just about everything you said. That's why I got a Droid. Lets assume Apple addressed all the above concerns I guarantee people would find something else to complain about. I don't know, I guess Apple is just one of those companies that most people either love or hate.

Upvote 0

TBH, My DROID does not open in my pockets. Ever. Then again, I have compared my DROID to many DROIDs I have seen in the stores, and mine is much much stiffer (tighter?) when sliding out the KB. Since I don't use the physical KB at all, perhaps that is why.

But to argue this point against a phone that has no physical KB - well, that is kinda moot, b/c you cannot compare apples and oranges.

As for the other hardware being bad, well, cannot say much about it - except that *I* am on my original DROID that I ordered 6 Nov and received 7 Nov. No scratches, no parts failing, and I can put OS updates on there as I choose - without having to use 3rd party potentially unsafe methods (and risk my carrier all of a sudden blocking updates / service).

Lucky you - mine has never come out on concrete - but has on carpet numerous times.

I know I know, everyone has their own anecdotal evidence. But wouldn't I be a moron if I bought a phone, had it break twice, and didn't think about getting a different one because you know people who've had problems? All I know is my Droid experience has been a bad one, but I'm still loving Android. Also, the one good thing about being #1, which Apple is unfortunately, is that you can buy about 99,000 different cases for the iPhone. The Droid doesn't have nearly as many (I got the Body Glove and didn't like it), which is the problem with having so many Android phones; it's hard to make accessories tailored to it when a new model/phone will come out in 1/2 a year.

No, you wouldn't be a moron - but if you're basing your comparison on a few minutes to handling one phone to owning another phone, then you're not making much of a comparison at all.

A phone is just that - a phone. When you factor in AT&T's service, and even that Jobs himself is displease b/c AT&T has dropped the ball in being ready for their new features, you can have the world's baddest phone in your hand - but no bars is no bars.

Apple added a couple of nice things but I'm disappointed by no vzw announcement.

Even with the "minor" update, I still have iphone > android. Android still needs better desktop integration.

Minor, as in 2.1 from 2.0? lulz - I'll buy your DROID for $50 - I need a second device to develop apps on using FroYo - aka another minor update as you say.

If you do sell it to me, don't come crying to me when you see just how much more polished FroYo is compared to 2.0/1. And do realize that the OS is, what, 1.5 years old, versus the iPhone being, what, 3+?

people keep mentioning the extreme with no mention of the scorpion! I want 1.5 ghz

I'd agree to this - but I know better than to hinge everything on a clock speed.

Didn't hear that - tell me / link me!

My Droids running awesome. The scroll wheel thing on both my iPods broke. I have to push hard as hell to get the play button to maybe register that it was pressed. I don't throw em around or beat em up either. They mostly just sit in a drawer until I travel somewhere. Everyone has its fair share of jacked up products. look at all the iMac and macbook crap they have the past several launches.

Like dude said before, anecdotes go both ways. I am a member of a panel of invited people from Motorola to tell about my experiences with my DROID. I have to say that mine have been superbly positive, but I also have nothing to compare my experiences to - this is my first smartphone ever.

Still, though, I shopped around carefully, and picked this device for a number of reasons - the main on being my carrier is VZW, and the second main one is that this is an untouched OS....

I know I heard him yelling at them on a live audio stream before they turned off the wifi haha. I really hope they don't edit that out when they post the video.

Yes, link me when it is up!

I don't hate Apple - they have made lots and lots of good products that I have used and use now.

However, I hate the stark raving fanboys in Apple world - the *nix fanboys are at least competent and take the time to explain stuff (moreso than the Apple fanboys - had one argue with me that I cannot run Shell scripts in Mac OS b/c it's not *nix - put him in his place really quickly, I did...). I get nothing but cold shoulders from Apple fanboys all the time.

This statement complexes me on so many levels.

20- --> 2.1 methinks.

BUT..

1. ATT is a 100% no go for me. ever. I don't care what they have or ever get. <-- so true. Never have them again. Ever.

2. they do have a serious issue with exerting to much force to keep their products closed and locked down to people smarter than those they have on staff. They need to be more open source. There are guys with fatter brains that don't want to work for the man, so instead, they now work on the Android platform since it is open source. Open is good, Apple lags behind here. And has made it clear, they have little interest in this area. I want the best people in the world working on the techie products I want to use, and for the most part Apple has them, but they are missing the boat on making it so closed and hard for dev's to want to jump on board when Android makes it so much. <-- wholeheartedly agree

Gods, how true. I am absolutely addicted to my phone for a variety of reasons. And every day I learn of something new that I can do.

Also, I am not shackled to iTunes for updates / apps. I am not stuck waiting for updates, I don't have to jailbreak my phone to get any real functionality out of it....the list goes on and one and on....

I agree with just about everything you said. That's why I got a Droid. Lets assume Apple addressed all the above concerns I guarantee people would find something else to complain about. I don't know, I guess Apple is just one of those companies that most people either love or hate.

That is any company at the top of their game. Everyone hates Microsoft. And Apple. And IBM. And NetGear. the list goes on and one and one.

When you have a company that deals in the volumes that these companies do, you're bound to break a few eggs making your omelets. There are always going to be people who blindly love the products they own, and those that get them and do not like them, and those that have intelligent reason for loving / hating them.

At the end of the day, we're human - and different from each other.

However, IDGAF about Apple's mobile products nor their computing line right now so I am not paying attention to the conference. End of story.

Upvote 0
It's because they are top dog, that's all. The past few years has went from hating Microsoft to hating Apple. Soon, I'm sure it will be Google next. I think Andriod is great, rapid, and open platform...but the iPhone is brilliant for the average consumer. It makes smartphones apparent and accessible to the masses..and dare I say it, fun. I'll probably never use one, but I think they are nice standard bearers. I must admit because of their single hardware the iphone app market is awsome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones