• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any other good GPS apps?

JnEricsonx

Android Enthusiast
Jun 1, 2011
I used to use the Navigation one that came with the phone, but that went away unless you hunt through the Google Maps app, so I'm just wondering if VZ Navigator, as I'm on Verizon, works well? I have unlimited data, so I figure that'd be good too, but, feel free to enlighten me!

Ok, well, someone told me its a PITA to find/access the Navigation feature inside Google Maps now. Is that true, or does it just take a extra 20 seconds to bring up the app that saved me from being hopelessly lost at least once?

If you create your own shortcut/widget you can be one tap from your homescreen to navigate.

:)

Upvote 0
I'm another huge Waze fan! Once you get a report of a disabled truck on the shoulder ahead and then see the truck and the driver is just getting out of the cab? You're hooked! I also saw a speed trap report once and the cop was still backing into the bushes. It's the reason my phone sits in front of the nav screen in my car. Now that it's owned by Google, I'm hoping they combine the best of both Google nav and Waze together. Basically, all of Waze + the street map pic of my destination from Google nav would be my perfect navigation device!

Upvote 0
I just updated my HTC One and now I can't downgrade to the older Google Maps that had better navigation. I just downloaded Waze and at a glance I'm not a fan but that's just a quick glance from sitting in my apartment.

What I really liked in the old Google Maps was the chance, during navigation, to see other possible routes and their distances and times. I really hate not having that, is that in Waze somewhere?

Upvote 0
Re: Google Maps Blue Arrow: before the recent updates you could click on the arrow, click on Map, and have a really nice map experience showing where you were going, etc. You didn't have to enter an address or destination. I liked that feature and it isn't there with the update. So, I continue to use 6.14.3 and get along just fine.

Upvote 0
Ok, well, someone told me its a PITA to find/access the Navigation feature inside Google Maps now. Is that true, or does it just take a extra 20 seconds to bring up the app that saved me from being hopelessly lost at least once?

That's only the beginning of the problems with the new version.

1. Toggling between close up and wide area view is more difficult.
2. While close up view allows more options for ETA (arrival times, minutes and miles), if you're in wide area view you can't get any of those.
3. Seeing multiple route options on a single map is impossible. If you're already navigating it's even more difficult to get an alternative route.
4. Entering an address by voice is a bit odd (I have to hit choose destination, then the microphone icon, then it goes back to the main screen, where I have to hit choose destination again to see what I said).
5. Many people complain of crashing. It is the only app that has ever crashed on my Samsung S4.

The one improvement is that it is a bit easier to see traffic on other routes when you're in a wide area view. Other than that it sucks.

Upvote 0
Avoid Sygic.

It is the buggiest app on my phone by a LONG LONG LONG LONG shot.

It works, but the app has a lot of screen formatting errors when entering your destination (entering text, etc). The map will occasionally freeze when you are driving. I have had to pull over a few times just to reboot my phone to get it working again.

Worst $30 I have ever spent on my phone. I'm not sure if they will refund me at this point, I've had it for 8 months now. Need to check that out.

I have it on two phones by the way. One is an activated Commando 4G, the other is a non-activated LG Viper 4G (Sprint) that I use as an MP3 player/app machine. Sygic does the same crap on both of these devices.

Upvote 0
The problem with Waze (besides not working with Chrome to Phone) is that you cannot totally mute the sound. That means even with the volume level at zero your music will stop playing while it's trying to tell you something.

I'm able to mute all sound. I use it all the time. Most of my routes are well known, so I turn off the sound as I don't need to be reminded where to turn. While you are navigating, there should be a speaker icon. You have to tap it to toggle between sound on, sound on alerts and no sound.

Upvote 0
I'm able to mute all sound. I use it all the time. Most of my routes are well known, so I turn off the sound as I don't need to be reminded where to turn. While you are navigating, there should be a speaker icon. You have to tap it to toggle between sound on, sound on alerts and no sound.

I don't have that icon. I have something at the top that shows how far to the next turn, something at the bottom left that brings up other options, something at the bottom middle showing ETA info, the report icon at the bottom right, and then the speedometer above that. There are zoom and locate controls that pop up if I tap the screen. It must be an optional setting, like the speedometer.

Upvote 0
I don't have that icon. I have something at the top that shows how far to the next turn, something at the bottom left that brings up other options, something at the bottom middle showing ETA info, the report icon at the bottom right, and then the speedometer above that. There are zoom and locate controls that pop up if I tap the screen. It must be an optional setting, like the speedometer.

I've attached a screenshot of my Waze screen. See the volume icon to the left of the menu title. Tap that to toggle the volume on and off.

Attachments

• 1383082505247.jpg
    1383082505247.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Goodspike
Upvote 0
Avoid Sygic.

It is the buggiest app on my phone by a LONG LONG LONG LONG shot.

It works, but the app has a lot of screen formatting errors when entering your destination (entering text, etc). The map will occasionally freeze when you are driving. I have had to pull over a few times just to reboot my phone to get it working again.

Worst $30 I have ever spent on my phone. I'm not sure if they will refund me at this point, I've had it for 8 months now. Need to check that out.

I have it on two phones by the way. One is an activated Commando 4G, the other is a non-activated LG Viper 4G (Sprint) that I use as an MP3 player/app machine. Sygic does the same crap on both of these devices.

Been using it intensively and love it. Zero issues on my Note 3. One of the better ones I've used actually.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones