• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any Response From Verizon/HTC About 2.1?

B) If you have insurance on the phone and something happens because of the update, you're screwed anyway, right?

If the insurance you have is the same as mine, if something happens to the phone where you have an insurance claim the phone is most likely non-functional anyway. If it IS still bootable and you're concerned about them seeing what version of the OS you're running, hit it with a hammer before you call to make your claim.

Personally, I can't imagine that they care.

Upvote 0
You guys are really convincing me to upgrade and I really wasn't sure if I wanted to :D

I remember seeing all those e-mails from people who contacted HTC asking about 2.1.

Just out of curiousity, what do you think there response would be to a question phrased something along the lines of: "Since the 2.1 update leaked and thousands have downloaded it, are there any repercussions to downloading it?"

Upvote 0
I am going to go into the corporate VZ in SoHo new york and do something like this:

ME: "Hey, excuse me, there is something wrong with my phone."

VZ: "What seem's to be the problem."

Me: "I don't know, it's just being AWESOME all of a sudden. All the LAG is gone, My battery life is better, I'm not using a Task Manager anymore, and I can do this wierd thing where i can pinch and zoom out to this like HELICOPTER MODE. What's -wrong- with my phone?"

(Show off Leap)

VZ Rep Reaction: TBD.......

:)

Upvote 0
this probably is the real (final) update just like the other one that was leaked.

It's too messed up to be the final version, isn't it? I don't know, just have been reading the threads about the problems (mixed with raves about how nice looking the ui is and how it's more configurable, etc).

Plus, what other update was leaked? I'm relatively new to the device so I don't know.

Upvote 0
It's too messed up to be the final version, isn't it? I don't know, just have been reading the threads about the problems (mixed with raves about how nice looking the ui is and how it's more configurable, etc).

Plus, what other update was leaked? I'm relatively new to the device so I don't know.

I think they're talking about the version Caddy showed us agains the one that was first posted. But they're THE SAME and most people are missing that I guess.

I personally am loving 2.1. I've got a few small issue, but nothing I can't work around. I've got some of the apps I wanted that I couldn't have, but I did temporarily lose one of my paid apps. I did it for google nav. I am still very new to the city I live in, and I get lost easily, so this was something I've been waiting for. I think a lot of the problems are app problems, because there's many that not everyone is experiencing, and that will still be in the official version. The stuff everyone is having problems with (browser not working from inside apps, embedded pics not working, having to log in again when restarting the phone) are probably things that either will be fixed before the OTA or will be fixed with a patch shortly there after. I'm not 100% sure on if this will be the official one or not, but I do think they may have fixes for some of the problems in the works - they would have had to catch these things in testing and fixed them - so that this probably isn't the official version. Just my thoughts though, I could be completely wrong! :)

I got my little bro to update his too, so our parents with the Moto Droids are so jealous (they want to wait for official OTA for their official phones they bought with official money... ;)), but that doesn't stop them from being jealous. I completely understand the not wanting to do the upgrade until the OTA though because some people are experiencing some weird problems, and some people aren't willing to wipe their phone and start over, and possibly lose some apps in the process or have a phone that's not working 100%.

That said, my phone works as a phone. It's other stuff that's a little wonky. As long as I can make/recieve calls and texts, I'm ok with the other stuff - it's just icing on the cake anyways. :D

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, I contacted HTC about the leak and what he could tell me about whether or not I should go for it or just wait for the OTA, if it was even safe to use, etc.

To my surprise, the answer wasn't "We don't recommend downloading anything to your phone that isn't official, etc...."

It was more along the lines of they were happy to know that I was interested in the new software, and although they can't really say too much more, they are still working on the update. But, when it was released to the testers, it was noticed that it wiped their devices clean (I took that as a warning of what would happen if I did, even though I already knew that), but they are working on a fix for that before they release it OTA.

So if you don't mind losing your data and starting over, it sounds like they have no problems with you downloading it. If you don't want to start over, wait for the OTA, because it won't wipe out your phone...but, of course, I couldn't be given a time frame for that....no surprise there, though.

But for those concerned, as I was...I pretty much said I was planning on updating, and wasn't told "No, don't do it."

Good enough for me, I'll be back later to update.

Upvote 0
Why would they say a word? Then they alert the other million and a half customers that there is a leaked version out there. I know that you think that there are many of us but we are a pretty small group of geeks in the mix of Eris owners. I also don't think that it was put out there on purpose. I think that a tester or employee leaked it and VZ would rather have kept it under wraps till they could get a version out there that's ready for prime time. This release is obviously not the final...

This is very true , I know a couple dozen people with Android phones none of them know anything about there phone . I bet most wouldn't even know what OS they run or anything... I'm one of those people (like most here i'm guessing) who research everything to death Cars, phones, TVs, computers, basically everything.
Verizon doesn't care that maybe 1% of Eris owners know about the leak and that less then half of those actually installed it . It doesn't matter.

Upvote 0
If the insurance you have is the same as mine, if something happens to the phone where you have an insurance claim the phone is most likely non-functional anyway. If it IS still bootable and you're concerned about them seeing what version of the OS you're running, hit it with a hammer before you call to make your claim.

Just drown the focker. Why even return it? I mean how many times has your phone fallen into the toilet and been flushed?

Upvote 0

i have not experianced any problems with mine. though i do not use exchange or spare parts. i have noticed that the links on urban spoon dont work and the embedded pictures in gmail dont work also but that is all so far ... hopefully nothing else will arise. over all i am very happy with 2.1 :)

Upvote 0
I highly doubt that, just look at the updates/difference you see on Sense and 2.1 on the HTC Legend.
HTC Legend video unboxing - SlashGear

while you are taking a look at the differences in the ui you might want to click on over and notice that it has almost double the processing speed and better hardware over all. not saying that you are wrong but even if this isnt the final release there is a pretty good chance we wont see all of those things on the eris.

Upvote 0
If it IS still bootable and you're concerned about them seeing what version of the OS you're running, hit it with a hammer before you call to make your claim.
Just drown the focker. Why even return it? I mean how many times has your phone fallen into the toilet and been flushed?
That would be dishonest on both counts.

Upvote 0
It's just like life. Some people just aren't ready to take responsibility for what they do. Making the 2.1 leak available to the masses was a horrible thing. Or, at least attempting to install it by everyone was stupid. It's like giving a 16 year old an M5 for his sixteenth birthday.

Did you see how many stupid questions were asked? How many threads of "where do I find hboot? Am I doing this right?" If you can't drive stick, do you call your dad and ask for step by step instructions once you're on the interstate? This is stupid and almost as worse as the 2.1 threads before the leak. If only installing it incorrectly bricked your phone. We'd lose stupid-ass members that bite off more than they can chew.

Upvote 0
It's just like life. Some people just aren't ready to take responsibility for what they do. Making the 2.1 leak available to the masses was a horrible thing. Or, at least attempting to install it by everyone was stupid. It's like giving a 16 year old an M5 for his sixteenth birthday.

Did you see how many stupid questions were asked? How many threads of "where do I find hboot? Am I doing this right?" If you can't drive stick, do you call your dad and ask for step by step instructions once you're on the interstate? This is stupid and almost as worse as the 2.1 threads before the leak. If only installing it incorrectly bricked your phone. We'd lose stupid-ass members that bite off more than they can chew.

Real world words of wisdom.

Upvote 0
I am going to go into the corporate VZ in SoHo new york and do something like this:

ME: "Hey, excuse me, there is something wrong with my phone."

VZ: "What seem's to be the problem."

Me: "I don't know, it's just being AWESOME all of a sudden. All the LAG is gone, My battery life is better, I'm not using a Task Manager anymore, and I can do this wierd thing where i can pinch and zoom out to this like HELICOPTER MODE. What's -wrong- with my phone?"

(Show off Leap)

VZ Rep Reaction: TBD.......

:)

LMAO!!!!!!!

I just did this or a version of it anyway. I visited Verizon today.
It went something like this:

CSR: Hi. Welcome to Verizon, can I help you?
Me: Hi, I'm looking for a navigation/phone mount like the one for the Droid, but for my Eris.
CSR: I'm sorry, we don't carry anything like that. Did you try our website?
Me: No, I didn't look online. Do you have a generic one?
CSR: No, only the one for the Droid.
Me: Well that sucks. I really need to find something. It is so much harder to use Google Nav when the phone isn't in a proper mount.
CSR: Ummm the Eris doesn't have Google Nav. Do you mean Google Maps?
Me: No, mine has Google Nav with the turn-by-turn directions
CSR: Do you have the phone with you?
Me: Sure.
*Pull phone from pocket and hand to Verizon guy*
CSR: Wow! This is really cool.
CSR: (to two other CSRs) Guys, come look at this!

Then it turned into 3 guys asking me a million questions and comparing my Eris to the Droid and stock Eris. One of the CSRs had the Droid, another the Eris and the other had a BlackBerry. The Verdict? They can't wait for 2.1 and the Blackberry guy is switching at the end of the month. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones