• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apple Copies Android Notifications

Gah, you know what sadder than this?

At school today:

Kid in class showing iPhone: ......and I just got the new iOS 5 and look (shows navigation bar) It's cool! Never saw it before
Me: /facepalm . Checking my own notifications bar.
Another kid in class : Hey, you have that too Remy?
Me: Android had it before iPhone
Kid with iPhone: Yeah right, Android just copies Apple.
Me: Lengthy explanation about iOS5 features that already is in Android (and BB) before.
Kid with iPhone: Yeah right!!
Me: Google it then.

Kid with iPhone: I still don't believe it...I hope Apple sues!
Me and everyone in class:/FACEPALM

WTF?!?
can't change the fanboy thought process. All apple products has subliminal messages hidden in them. That's why can't can't see facts. Jobs won't let it happen. If he did then the fanboy wouldn't see him as a god.

That's just like when the united states was acquiring land. The Indians said this is our land. Has been for many moons. The gov said do you have a deed of ownership? Indian said no. Gov said well our land now. Then shows the document.

Upvote 0
I checked and YOU can get the iOS 5 at beta without dev account.

I'm going to try it with my iPhone and see the difference with the Android and BB.

@darkjedi

I know I may come off as a iPhone hater but what I experience in society, this is what I always encounter with iPhone users.

Majority are those higher that thou type. "I have an iPhone and I'm better that you" mentality, some of those people don't even know how to properly use their phone beyond text/calls, music and games (not even other apps.-.-)

You can't have a decent conversation with those people. I have an iPhone but I like Android better and I have evidence why it's better. The other side doesn't even give an excuse and when you show what it can do, the iPhone users just ignore and can't accept that their GodPhone is inferior with not having explanation why -.-

Sorry for the rant.

Technically Android is open source right, so can they even sue?

Upvote 0
I also got a laugh when I saw the "new" iOS notification system. I will say, though, that I do applaud Apple for the lockscreen notification system. While it does seem a lot like the TouchWiz type lockscreen, it does appear to have some extra functionalities that I wouldn't mind having on my Android phone (without paying for something like WidgetLocker).

Like many have said, this is common practice in the tech world, and I somewhat welcome it. It drives new ideas by constantly leveling the playing field, ultimately leading to a win for the consumers.

Upvote 0
I also got a laugh when I saw the "new" iOS notification system. I will say, though, that I do applaud Apple for the lockscreen notification system. While it does seem a lot like the TouchWiz type lockscreen, it does appear to have some extra functionalities that I wouldn't mind having on my Android phone (without paying for something like WidgetLocker).

Like many have said, this is common practice in the tech world, and I somewhat welcome it. It drives new ideas by constantly leveling the playing field, ultimately leading to a win for the consumers.

iOS 5's notification system is a lot like TouchWiz's? Samsung should sue Apple also. I usually wouldn't advocate for that, until I saw this:
Apple sues Samsung for 'copying' the iPhone and iPad -- Engadget

Upvote 0
iOS 5's notification system is a lot like TouchWiz's? Samsung should sue Apple also. I usually wouldn't advocate for that, until I saw this:
Apple sues Samsung for 'copying' the iPhone and iPad -- Engadget

The TouchWiz puzzle piece thing is basically a less developed version of what iOS5 is promising. On TouchWiz, you drag a puzzle piece-shaped notification into a slot [across the screen] and it unlocks the phone into the app for that notification. In iOS 5, you slide a "slide to unlock"-type slider across a notification to unlock the phone into the app for that notification. For things like texts, you get a bit of preview in iOS, unlike TW which just has an unread count. Even so, its a VERY similar concept.

Upvote 0
The TouchWiz puzzle piece thing is basically a less developed version of what iOS5 is promising. On TouchWiz, you drag a puzzle piece-shaped notification into a slot [across the screen] and it unlocks the phone into the app for that notification. In iOS 5, you slide a "slide to unlock"-type slider across a notification to unlock the phone into the app for that notification. For things like texts, you get a bit of preview in iOS, unlike TW which just has an unread count. Even so, its a VERY similar concept.

I agree, that is very similar and the puzzle notification happens to be one of the items I do like about TouchWiz.

Hmmm, so if I have say 3 unread texts, and iOS5 has partial preview, wouldn't that clutter up my screen vs TW's count view? If so, sounds like Apple is making some 'design compromises' for the sake of trying to 'one-up' Samsung/Android so they don't appear to be 'copying' them, IMO.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I agree, that is very similar and the puzzle notification happens to be one of the items I do like about TouchWiz.

Hmmm, so if I have say 3 unread texts, and iOS5 has partial preview, wouldn't that clutter up my screen vs TW's count view? If so, sounds like Apple is making some 'design compromises' for the sake of trying to 'one-up' Samsung/Android so they don't appear to be 'copying' them, IMO.

Yeah, its a feature I enjoy from TouchWiz as well [although, I have an HTC. I've only experienced TouchWiz via my wife's Captivate]. I'm not sure if the partial preview is that big or if it does multiple previews for multiple messages. I've only seen the quick demo. However, I do remember seeing a demo that showed those notifications for multiple service [twitter, texts, emails, etc], and it looked fairly clean. Basically seemed to be a single line for the sender and a single line of preview and didn't really look cluttered. However, if you had 3 texts from 3 different people and several emails and all of those had this sort of thing, that could get cluttered quite quickly. I'll have to look into this some more and see what info there is on it. Not that I want an iPhone, but I like to know what's out there :)

Everyone sues everyone else. Doesn't matter if you're in a basement, or you own the Sears tower. If you aren't suing someone else, you're not in the game.

Ha. That's awesome.

Upvote 0
I checked and YOU can get the iOS 5 at beta without dev account.

(Snip a Tad)

Technically Android is open source right, so can they even sue?

Where did you find that iOS 5 was available sans a development account? I can't believe it is out there and available to people at this stage of the game because there are far too many people talking about what it might have and they are guessing about possible features in ways that suggest very few have tried it.

So educate me please.

I do not want it unless it delivers some must have feature(s) and it can be jailbroken.

Upvote 0
Where did you find that iOS 5 was available sans a development account? I can't believe it is out there and available to people at this stage of the game because there are far too many people talking about what it might have and they are guessing about possible features in ways that suggest very few have tried it.

So educate me please.

I do not want it unless it delivers some must have feature(s) and it can be jailbroken.
iOS5 was jailbroken 24 hours after release of the Beta to Devs.

Yes, you can download iOS5 without a dev account. There are hacks all over the internet. Do a 'Google' search. I always find it funny that Apple lovers still refer to Google as the go to search engine and for maps. Seems a bit counter-"Apple".

I am still using an old iPhone 3GS, jailbroken, with HTC skin and Android icons and nearly all Cydia apps mentioned in iOS5. (I like the smoothness of iOS and the look and feel of Android and its features. Bets of both worlds IMO.)
Did Apple blantantly copy features considered useful and asked for by customers. You betcha! Android had the best notification system. RIM had the best messenger service. Certain Cydia apps were better and so on, etcetera. Apple customers wanted those features. Apple would have been stupid to ignore them, and quite frankly I'm glad that those features are coming for iDevices and their users.

As for suing... that is completely out of hand. I think everyone is suing at this point, just to keep the courts tied up and nothing happen for years, when the technology and patents that were in question are no longer valid and outdated. I do find it a bit obsurd that the Dept of Justice is allowing Google to purchase Nortel patents, but not Apple or RIM (well, with 5 days left til the auction, they haven't given Apple or RIM permission to bid anyway.)

Upvote 0
can't change the fanboy thought process. All apple products has subliminal messages hidden in them. That's why can't can't see facts. Jobs won't let it happen. If he did then the fanboy wouldn't see him as a god.
This really is the most obtuse post I have read in a while. Do you really believe what you typed here or were you being sarcastic?

Upvote 0
iOS5 was jailbroken 24 hours after release of the Beta to Devs.

Yes, you can download iOS5 without a dev account. There are hacks all over the internet. Do a 'Google' search. I always find it funny that Apple lovers still refer to Google as the go to search engine and for maps. Seems a bit counter-"Apple".

I would be quite amazed to learn that iOS 5 has been jail-broken. So please tell me who offers a JB for iOS 5. Surely, Greenpois0n, Limerain, and the other major players have nothing yet and I do not see a JB arriving until after iOS 5 is available from Apple.

As for iOS 5 Beta being made available, I am not surprised that some unscrupulous Dev has posted the files. In my opinion, people must wait until it is officially released to avoid problems.

So kindly post a link to an iOS 5 J/B.

Upvote 0
I would be quite amazed to learn that iOS 5 has been jail-broken. So please tell me who offers a JB for iOS 5. Surely, Greenpois0n, Limerain, and the other major players have nothing yet and I do not see a JB arriving until after iOS 5 is available from Apple.

As for iOS 5 Beta being made available, I am not surprised that some unscrupulous Dev has posted the files. In my opinion, people must wait until it is officially released to avoid problems.

So kindly post a link to an iOS 5 J/B.
I never said the exploit was available to the average joe right now. Still only early Beta versions out. I said that the Dev team did jb the first iteration within 24 hours. Which means... that once iOS5 goes Golden, the Dev team will have no problem having an untethered jb waiting for the final release, for everyone to download.

iOS 5 beta jailbroken in less than 24 hours | Apple Talk - CNET News

And from ultrasn0w on how to get iOS5 Beta now:
Install iOS 5 NOW (How To Guide) - Download - IPSW - Jailbreak iOS 5 iPhone 4 - iPad 2 4.3.3 - Unlock iPhone 3GS

I wouldn't download this Beta anyway. Way to many issues with it right now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones