• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery life and battery management

Update:

These batteries 2x 3500mah For HTC EVO 3D New Extended Battery Black Wall Charger + Cover Sprint | eBay
seem to work fine under normal use, and they ship from NY, However, They initially sent me the wrong charger for the HTC sensation, emailed them about it, couple weeks later (yesterday) received the new charger in the mail and it too was the wrong charger for the evo4g. Needless to say I'm furious, sent them another email threatening negative feedback blah,blah,blah...
I got a 5 word reply... "Did you received white one" to which I replied "no". I've yet to hear anything back from them.
Needless to say these batteries haven't seen a full charge yet, but I've gotten about 50hrs of up time with about 6hrs. of awake time.
I'm thinking about asking for an extra battery for my trouble.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-3500mah-...550157?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item20bd38804d

Upvote 0
I've been searching for a while now and I can't find an answer. I have a non-rooted EVO 3D. After the Oct 11 update my battery life went to the toilet. Before the update I was getting battery life of 12-14 hours and now I go from 100 to 0 in 2 -3 hours.

The battery monitor shows the biggest user is Android OS. Which used to take up very little CPU or battery time now it's taking up 72%. The biggest user of CPU time is mhl_sii9234_wq. Not sure what that process is.

I'm using a Seidio 1900 mAh battery. I've also used the stock battery. I've done several hard resets with no joy. I'm going crazy cause I have to keep my phone on the charger all of the time. Just an example. I took my phone off the charget when I started typing this. It was at 100%. The phone has been sitting here idle with the screen off. It is now at 95%.

Upvote 0
hi,

moved your post here as this thread discusses many things related to battery use.

the process you mention seems to be dealing with the HDMI (MHL) port. do you have any video type apps running? netflix? crackle tv? etc?

are you using any task killers (i hope not!)
are you using any power save modes? do you ave fast boot on or off?

just some ideas to get the juices flowing...

have you ever been rooted by the way?

are you a UK user or US?

is this a new handset? refurb? how long have you had it? are you the only owner?

just trying to get on the same page.

Upvote 0
I do have Netflix installed but I rarely use it. Right now the only app that would even be related to video is Qik and it is not using any CPU time.

I don't have any task killers. I'm running Juice Defender Ultimate which doesn't seem to do much. Fast boot is on.

I'm in the US on Sprint. It is a new phone, not refurb. Never been rooted. I'm the only owner.

This particular handset is about 2 months old. I had two others and they were replaced due to bad screens but each time I was given a new handset out of the box. And with the others the battery life was fine until I installed the Oct 11 update.

Upvote 0
netflix can still be in the background running. maybe uninstall it for a bit and see if you notice any changes?

ive not noticed any battery decrease after any update and i am stock unrooted also.

i would look at your screen brightness, and turn off any RF services (BT, WIFI, 4G) if you dont need them.

but if you noticed decreased runtime with a hard reset and no apps installed, i would look at possibly a faulty battery. could also be something physically wrong with the handset. have you taken it to sprint repair? if not, this may be a good time to do so.

OT but you are an EMT? in a previous life i used to be a firefighter and would also work on the ambulance in that county. 9 years... good times.. :)

Upvote 0
I found that I had a horrible battery drain after turning on the Instant Upload feature in Google+. It first happened on my wife's phone and it indicated Android OS was the problem, so I couldn't figure it out. I then turned the feature on my phone on and my battery started dying quickly showing Android OS as the culprit. I changed the Google+ Instant Upload feature to happen only on Wifi and turned off Battery uploads, problem solved. Now the only issue is when my kids play Netflix and games on battery power for an hour or two, drains the battery fairly quickly. :)

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
One of the things I have found to really drain a battery is the (best wifi perfomance ) option in the wifi advanced setting , they were not kidding when they say on it may consume more power , I was testing it and forgot I left it on for a week or so (adhd) and could no figure out what was draining it so fast i was using system monitor to log and it was not showing as an app obviosly so I didnt catch it right away it was in the system , but as default it is not active you have to activate it so anyone with battery loss check to be sure it is off it doesn't seem to help anyway, it literally cut battery life in half.

Upvote 0
I have the exact same problem. My battery drains 10% an hour without any use. It happened immediately after the Oct update. I tried everything (even buying a new battery). I finally figured out that when I have Wifi on it sucks the life out of my battery. I have checked all my Wifi settings and they are the same as they were prior to the update. If I turn Wifi off and use just 3g my battery loss is about 2% an hour. I'm at a loss because I love to use my Wifi for speed but a cannot. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Maybe I should just call sprint and see if they can "help"

by the way I did a factory reset and have turned off all syncing with the same results.

Upvote 0
I have the exact same problem. My battery drains 10% an hour without any use. It happened immediately after the Oct update. I tried everything (even buying a new battery). I finally figured out that when I have Wifi on it sucks the life out of my battery. I have checked all my Wifi settings and they are the same as they were prior to the update. If I turn Wifi off and use just 3g my battery loss is about 2% an hour. I'm at a loss because I love to use my Wifi for speed but a cannot. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Maybe I should just call sprint and see if they can "help"

by the way I did a factory reset and have turned off all syncing with the same results.

wow... usually 3g sucks up the battery (compared to wifi).
When you noticed 10% an hour drain, did you check in battery usage to find what was really using that 10%? Was it really wifi being number 1 in battery usage page?

Upvote 0
Hey guys , I have a evo 3d and just now I have had bad battery life again, I look at whats using my battery and its mostly display but when I look at the chart its like a staircase and every certain time it drops a 90 degree angle then flat again, So somthing is killing it then lets off back and forth. I unistalled shazam which killed my battery last time and now it looks like it came back and I dont know what it is. Any ideas ? my awake time also is up alot compared to screen on

Upvote 0
I have shazam and a lot more running applications on my phone...and my battery drains at a normal pace. There might be an app that is causing this to happen. Or you just might have a bad battery.

If the display is showing the most percentage then that's normal. For example, take a look at the screenshot below of my chart. If you notice the display has the most percent - but it doesn't show any apps that I've installed. If an app is draining the battery it would show on the chart. If you really think that something is draining your battery, then one good way of finding this out, is to Uninstall all installed applications.

20120110183559.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Upvote 0
well I took it to Sprint and they said nothing was wrong with the battery. They did a factory reset even though I told them I just did it within the last week. Well since then my battery is back to normal lasting the whole day and well into the evening with moderate usage. go figure. sorry i can't give any better assistance. just thought i would give my experience.

Upvote 0
I'm going to say it, the battery usage in android screen is wrong, it lies. It likes to blames the screen, but it's wrong, it's really the GPS, and 3G & 4G radios. How do I know, I tested it.

First I surfed the internet - my battery drained quickly. Next test I downloaded a whole bunch on content and turned on airplane mode. Then I read the content in airplane mode - the battery barely drained at all.

I've ran versions of this test over and over. It's not the screen that's draining the battery, it's getting a bump rap.

The phone also really uses the battery when the 3G signal is weak, and it's switching back and forth between roaming and the weak 3G signal. Like I said, the radio is using the battery. But if you check About phone -> battery -> battery use you won't see that.

I'm give you this info because I'm trying to make my battery last a full day, and as long as we are all misdirected we'll never figure this out. In a few years the battery problem will be solved, but until then it sucks.

This is consistent with my observations as well. And I've tried to spread the message in various forums here. People didn't listen. Keeping 3G off until you need it is probably the best battery-saving tip in existence. And it's easy to automate with Android. On CDMA phones, SMS messages and phone calls still come in even with 3G off, so all you're losing are push email notifications or notifications from other social apps, etc.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones