• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery life and battery management

This is consistent with my observations as well. And I've tried to spread the message in various forums here. People didn't listen. Keeping 3G off until you need it is probably the best battery-saving tip in existence. And it's easy to automate with Android. On CDMA phones, SMS messages and phone calls still come in even with 3G off, so all you're losing are push email notifications or notifications from other social apps, etc.

+1 ;)

I've thrown this out there as well in the OG forums, more of a regurgitation than an epiphany. :rolleyes:

3G only takes about 2-3 seconds to turn back on, so it really isn't a major P.I.T.A. At least for me it isn't. :p:)

Upvote 0
At the first time using an evo, i was thinking the battery life were so poor, mate.. But after read a couple things in the forums and i do whatever they said, I can save my battery life about 75% with a usage just like you, most of my work time is on my desk with a computer in front of me, I never do a browsing or listening radio with my Evo, just see an update from stream or twitter, streaming a youtube, and it using a wifi not a 3G.. And after lunch time, I still have 60% battery.. I'm rooted and used a LeeDroid ROM, and it's awesome, eh.. So by changing your evo with an iphone, i don't think that's a wise choice, some of them above said very clearly, you need to maintain your phone and all that stuff to save your battery life, and that's true.. I did it, and my battery life was saved.. :D

Upvote 0
It's literally been a year that I've had my Seidio 4000mah extended battery, and I have to say that it sucks right about now. Sure, I have chargers everywhere I go (work, home, car), but I don't leave it charged for excessive amounts of time. Now, I'll be lucky if I can get 4 straight hours out of it. That's longer than the factory battery. WTF?

I've had this setup for so long that I'm use to carrying this brick around. But now it looks like I'll have to cut the weight and size in half again, and go back to my original battery and case. I don't want to, but I'd hate to buy another extended battery and have the same thing happen again next year... Yeah, I plan on keeping this phone until the next generation of 3D phones from HTC comes out - sadly, which may be never.

Upvote 0
I've had my HTC EVO 4G 3D for about 6 months now... just recently, notice came on my phone saying upgrade available... I did it... took approx 20 min... my gmail completely changed along with other things... my MAJOR issue is that BEFORE I had selected the BATTERY SAVER option from the 'pull down' menu... I would swipe down the screen like I was checking for new msgs or missed calls and select the QUICK SETTINGS option and I 'think' it was called the battery saver or power saver option.... (leaning towards 'power saver')

anyway, I have android 4.0.3 which I guess is the 'new' software and my battery dies instantly again... before, on the 'power saver' I was getting more than decent battery life... now, it's horrible again...

My issue...... I can't find the 'power or battery saver' option in the menu..... is there such a thing in my version 4.0.3 ???!! I wish I could just go back to the previous version of android cuz I really dislike the Gmail... I liked it a lot better the way it was before....

If you can help me with a power saver option, that would be great!!! I downloaded "process manager" from the app market and it doesn't kill the apps... it's always running in the background and I don't like it...

please help... thank you for any options.... Jon

Upvote 0
You can try juice defender - it should allow you to set options similar to what battery saver did earlier.

P.S. Don't really worry about processes/apps running in the background. Unless it is actually (noticeably) slowing your device down, let android OS manage background tasks. Killing it (in most cases) is useless because the OS will have to start the app up again when it is needed, thus using up a little more battery. Leaving it up in the background is not consuming CPU cycles and the OS will free up RAM if/when it is needed by other applications.

Upvote 0
I wish I could l remember how I did it but I have the EVO 4G LTE and I'm pretty sure it was on this forum. I downloaded something and them made a shortcut and my shortcut looks like my settings shortcut but it's a power saver shortcut. I know that doesn't help but I forgot what I downloaded and then it took me to powersaver and I have it as a shortcut on one of my screens.

with the new ICS coming out.. the battery saver option is gone..

Upvote 0
I wish I could l remember how I did it but I have the EVO 4G LTE and I'm pretty sure it was on this forum. I downloaded something and them made a shortcut and my shortcut looks like my settings shortcut but it's a power saver shortcut. I know that doesn't help but I forgot what I downloaded and then it took me to powersaver and I have it as a shortcut on one of my screens.

i believe you downloaded a app from the market called juice defender. it has a widget that looks like that.

Upvote 0
No I don't have Juice Defender but whatever it was I clicked on something and made a widget and now when i click on this widget which looks the settings icon. It takes you to a hidden power savings feature. I may have seen it on Good & EVO not here.

i believe you downloaded a app from the market called juice defender. it has a widget that looks like that.

Upvote 0
I don't know what it is, could be the new ICS update, but my battery drains so fast now.

Just now it was fully charged at 100%. I surfed via facebook app for 5 min using 3g data. It lost 5% of battery (using a battery widget). WTF...how can 5 min of facebook use up 5% of battery?

It's not just that, other times I will have notice a huge drop in battery power from doing things that used to barely take up any battery power.

Something is up.

Upvote 0
We'll I'm not complaining about my battery life because I can basically watch a 10+ hour video if I want but why does it not show all the apps I use anymore in the battery details? Such as youtube app and internet? Stock everything on Evo3D, nothing rooted, had the phone for about a year (since it came out) running ICS.
ZgdvT.png

ulnai.png

SDEEW.png

CKll4.png

Upvote 0
Also the reason I have almost 10 hours of "on-time" is because when I'm at work I'll watch videos on youtube and pause them and set the phone down to do other stuff and then continue were I left off. If you turn off the screen you have to reload the youtube video again for some reason. Same goes when I'm on the internet, if I turn off the screen it reloads the page, so basically I just leave the phone on all day and get a full day of "on-time" with just youtube and internet browsing. I believe the information that shows up in the battery details are not accurate, my device never shows more then 3 things ever, even when playing games, youtube, facebook, netflix, zenonia 3, internet, etc etc. It has been like this ever since ICS update, when I had gingerbread, everything was accurate on the battery details but now I don't know.

Upvote 0
Depends on what you are doing with your phone in those 4-5 hours.
If your phone is sitting idle, no - that is not normal.
If you are watching videos, or playing games continuously for those 4-5 hours, then yeah, it is normal.

no watching video dan playing games.only download application from play store,browsing and chat with whatsapp
thx for you reply

Upvote 0
I barely use my phone for 15 to 30 minutes and it'll run out from fully charge. I check the phone battery use and it shows
Display:89%
dialer:5%
cell standby:2%
internet:2%
Pandora:mad:2%

The display is using a lot of battery, does anyone know how to fix that? I adjust the screen brightness and screen timeout but nothing is working. I really need to find out why the Display is using so much battery?

Upvote 0
I barely use my phone for 15 to 30 minutes and it'll run out from fully charge. I check the phone battery use and it shows
Display:89%
dialer:5%
cell standby:2%
internet:2%
Pandora:mad:2%

The display is using a lot of battery, does anyone know how to fix that?

Your brightness may be on 100%? The brighter your screen the less battery life you'll have

Upvote 0
vudoo09,

Welcome to the AndroidForums!

I've moved your thread to the Evo 3D forum for you. Hopefully there'll be another kind member here that might have another idea for you to help you with your battery life issue.

89% for the display does seem a bit high...for what it's worth, I've always left the "automatic brightness" box unchecked on all of my five Android devices and set the brightness manually. My thinking is that the phone will be adjusting the brightness for me when I might not necessarily need it. So, perhaps yours is doing that, too, but to the extreme. Turning that setting off for a day or two might reveal that its the issue (or will quickly rule it out).

Cheers and best of luck!

Upvote 0
Thanks scary alien.

Another problem that I see is that the battery bar is unusual, when I charge it for a few minutes it show half charge from low battery which it can't be that fast. It only happen time to time. Even when the phone is fully charge, the phone sometime turn off when I'm using the market app or on youtube so this phone is really stressing me out. If anybody knows the solution, I'll be humble for the help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones