1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

***Before you take the impending Gingerbread OTA, PLEASE READ THIS***

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by trophynuts, May 25, 2011.

  1. trophynuts

    trophynuts Extreme Android User
    Thread Starter

    with the possible official OTA GB build finally dropping for our beloved X please keep this in mind.

    Before you make a move, no matter what that move is, please wait until we have a safe and working method to SBF either back to .340 Froyo or hopefully we'll receive a new SBF for .596 or whatever the final # ends up being. This will save you lots of headache. So please just try and be a little more patient.


    1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!


  2. colchiro

    colchiro Extreme Android User

    That was quick. :D

    No sense installing the OTA/TBH until we know the limitations... can it be rooted... can we flash back to previous versions.

    Best to just wait.
    SscoootzZ and trophynuts like this.
  3. Steven58


    That's what I've come away with. I took it for granted that gingerbreak would be able to root it or that you'd be able to SBF back to .340, but not if they change around the bootloader.

    Thanks for the warning Trophy. :)
    SscoootzZ and trophynuts like this.
  4. trophynuts

    trophynuts Extreme Android User
    Thread Starter

    no problem

    just trying to cut down on possible issues/questions about the process.
  5. colchiro

    colchiro Extreme Android User

    There's going to be lots of beta testers come Friday. :D
  6. trophynuts

    trophynuts Extreme Android User
    Thread Starter

    lol yeah What sux is i have to go back on international travel in a couple of weeks and i have to go back to my Crackberry....just when the GB excitement hits...lol hopefully when i return to the states in a month all the bugs will be worked out of the OTA
  7. Bugly

    Bugly Android Expert

    Chicken... come back and fight like the rest of us! lol, have a good, safe trip.
  8. bouchigo

    bouchigo Android Expert

    Everybody should know to do this, it's common sense, well it is to me anyway.

    It would suck to rush into things and then be stuck ;)
  9. alprazolam

    alprazolam Android Expert

    Saw the tweets from P3droid a while back. He wrote, today that they will have a rooted copy of OTA by Friday. Or did I read it wrong? I don't know. It's late. Apparently he knows for a fact that the current method of rooting does not work on this update.
  10. SimsDelt

    SimsDelt Android Expert

    It probably doesn't work... Moto had time to view gingerbreak and change this release accordingly. It will only be a matter of time though.
  11. trophynuts

    trophynuts Extreme Android User
    Thread Starter

    Yes Bo it is common knowledge for a lot of us. But it seems to me we've gained a lot of newbs lately so I was trying to make this process easier on them...and us.

    Just because TBH has a rooted method does us little good unless there is a safe SBF method.
    twcowdery likes this.
  12. Kevmueller

    Kevmueller Android Expert

    So just a couple things with all the recent news about rooting that I have been thinking of.

    If the OTA version is not able to be rooted if the OTA is taken and we have to wait for TBH to create a flashable rooted version of the OTA, will a SBF work? Meaning if we SBF a unrootable version will we be stuck with out root if we SBF?

    Also I am sure you have all seen the apps now that will notice if you are rooted, Blockbuster and the new Google movies, not that I use any of these, but will more follow? My bet is yes.

    Lastly the reasons I rooted were to be able to theme, oveclock/undervolt, flash roms, change boot animations, other cool tweaks by the people here and have Wireless Tether in an emergency. I am happy with with the gingerblur theme, gingerbread runs great and does not need to be overclocked, wireless tether is not a big deal to me since verizon is cracking down and I have only used it once.

    So the big question is, is it going to be worth it to root it?

    I am personally going to wait and see what happens, .595 is running great so waiting a few days will not hurt.
  13. trophynuts

    trophynuts Extreme Android User
    Thread Starter


    I would say yes it will still be worth it to root. Those apps you mentioned about not working on rooted phones are really to me not that important. Will more follow yeah its possible. Now if netflix follows suit ....that will suck. A couple of things.

    I think eventually someone will come out with a way to spoof these apps into not realizing a phone is rooted.

    also I wouldn't worry about your root requiring apps ever to do this. Take DroCap for instance. That is an app aimed at rooted users...so apps like that and TiBu should be safe.

    For myself regardless if TBH comes up with a pre rooted OTA i'm still staying put until i know for a fact that we can SBF if something goes wrong.
    SscoootzZ likes this.
  14. trophynuts

    trophynuts Extreme Android User
    Thread Starter

    oh don't get it twisted lol. I'll still be on here everyday keeping up with things. I just will be limited to what i can do on my DX. Where i'm going i won't be able to activate it if i have to do a factory reset.
  15. VoidedSaint

    VoidedSaint Resident Ninja

    thats what backups are for silly :)
    SscoootzZ likes this.
  16. bouchigo

    bouchigo Android Expert

    I'm staying put until .596 has been rooted without having to use the TBH zip being released on Friday.

    Even if the full sbf for .596 is available, let's say in 2 weeks, it doesn't necessarily mean "good" news.

    Let's say you are on rooted .596 via the TBH zip and you mess up your phone somehow, and it can only be fixed by sbf'ing the .596 full sbf. Well that's good, you've managed to fix your phone, but now you can no longer root your phone because you are on stock .596 and cannot apply the .596 TBH zip (I'm assuming of course that you won't be able to apply the .596 TBH zip over stock .596 since we are being told to wait and not apply stock .596 if we want to keep root).
    caveritt likes this.
  17. trophynuts

    trophynuts Extreme Android User
    Thread Starter

    @ Bouchigo

    i concur i think staying put for a few weeks is the best option.
  18. WTF

    WTF Well-Known Member

    I'm staying put too, even though I'm still on Froyo. I've been tempted to try the rooted GB leak, but still not yet willing to take the leap - I have my phone configured perfectly now (well, as perfectly as Froyo will allow), and am just afraid I might screw this up :rolleyes:

    I've waited this long to get my DX up to par, I'm happy to wait a little longer for confirmation that the OTA GB rooting has been confirmed...
  19. nj02vette

    nj02vette Android Expert

    Same here
  20. twcowdery

    twcowdery Member

    As one of those noobs, I appreciate you doing this since it wouldn't have been 'common knowledge' for me. Heck, I assumed we wouldn't really have a choice - that the update was just going to be done automatically.
  21. trophynuts

    trophynuts Extreme Android User
    Thread Starter

    nope you never have to take the update if you choose not to.
  22. androy

    androy Android Enthusiast

    I would think that people on the GB leak will be able to install the rooted GB .596(when p3 releases it) and keep the old bootloader right? That way if there is a problem we can SBF back to Froyo.

    BOOGIE_BOTZ Member

    Could you Z4 root unroot and factory reset and just get OTA that way?

    How about maderstocking?

    Or is SBF'ing the best resort? I'm getting anxious!
  24. trophynuts

    trophynuts Extreme Android User
    Thread Starter

    Your missing the point. Being able to sbf has always been our safeguard. If something goes wrong while rooting,romming your phone u could always sbf. If moto changed something preventing that on GB and u start messing with ur phone and something goes wrong.....u sir will have a brick.
  25. bouchigo

    bouchigo Android Expert

    We'll find that out when the update is released by TBH, I don't think we will be able to to this (I hope we will be able to though :D), but it's all speculation until tomorrow.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date

Share This Page