• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Buy installed Advanced Task Killer before letting me leave

Good or bad, i just don't get why Qik, or MP3 Store come back on after I kill them, I never open them, and never plan on using them.

I'm not sure what Qik is, but for the MP3 Store, open it up -> menu -> settings -> monitor connections.

And that should stop it from running since that option allows it to 'automatically resume downloads when connectivity is restore'. I'm thinking Qik is auto updating too, so you might want to check its setting out :)

Reactions: XOS THW
Upvote 0
I'm the author of SystemPanel. Researched the heck out of this problem and came to the obvious conclusion, i.e., automatic task killing works against Android and causes a bigger problem. I've written up my opinion/findings here:

Why Automatic Task Killing is a Bad Idea | android.nextapp.com

I'll add that it would be trivial to add such a "kill-all-inactive-apps" feature to SystemPanel (it already has a background service logging per-app processor consumption, adding a "kill" command to it would be a few lines of code). I refuse to do so. And I don't care if it results in a bunch of 3 or 4-star ratings demanding I add it "for five stars".

Upvote 0
I'm the author of SystemPanel. Researched the heck out of this problem and came to the obvious conclusion, i.e., automatic task killing works against Android and causes a bigger problem. I've written up my opinion/findings here:

Why Automatic Task Killing is a Bad Idea | android.nextapp.com

I'll add that it would be trivial to add such a "kill-all-inactive-apps" feature to SystemPanel (it already has a background service logging per-app processor consumption, adding a "kill" command to it would be a few lines of code). I refuse to do so. And I don't care if it results in a bunch of 3 or 4-star ratings demanding I add it "for five stars".

Great great app. It's one of the few i have set to auto-update

Upvote 0
I just had to switch to Sprint so I bought an Evo and it is my first Android phone. I previously had an iPhone and I have always owned Mac computers, so that is the type of OS I am used to.

I came across this post while trying to do research on the Android system and ATK. I am trying to learn about this system so please forgive my ignorance. I'm not sure I understand why an ATK was even developed.. shouldn't phones be able to kill the applications themselves?! Why am I being encouraged to download an application to make my phone run better? Switching to Android is frustrating enough, although I'm sure I'll fall in love with it once everything just "clicks", but I am so confused as to why my ridiculously advanced Evo needs help in functioning properly. I understand the dilemma on battery life, because it has been horrible. I did install ATK because of all the fuss (that I obviously don't really understand) but I just uninstalled it because of the majority of votes in this thread, so hopefully it will run smoother.

I can't seem to find a "HERE, THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT" explanation. Any help or recommendations?

Upvote 0
I just had to switch to Sprint so I bought an Evo and it is my first Android phone. I previously had an iPhone and I have always owned Mac computers, so that is the type of OS I am used to.

I came across this post while trying to do research on the Android system and ATK. I am trying to learn about this system so please forgive my ignorance. I'm not sure I understand why an ATK was even developed.. shouldn't phones be able to kill the applications themselves?! Why am I being encouraged to download an application to make my phone run better? Switching to Android is frustrating enough, although I'm sure I'll fall in love with it once everything just "clicks", but I am so confused as to why my ridiculously advanced Evo needs help in functioning properly. I understand the dilemma on battery life, because it has been horrible. I did install ATK because of all the fuss (that I obviously don't really understand) but I just uninstalled it because of the majority of votes in this thread, so hopefully it will run smoother.

I can't seem to find a "HERE, THIS IS WHAT EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT" explanation. Any help or recommendations?

This has been posted a couple times in this thread:
http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-evo-4g/85554-task-killers-must-read-new-android-users.html

I listed some articles that talk all about this. You should be just fine running without ATK. There are a lot of skeptics (most are windows users) that think that killing apps is the way to go. Read that forum lots of good info. It will always be something everyone talks about. Store reps, I wouldn't trust as far as I can throw a house when it comes to Task Killers. I have not killed a process in the last 3 android phones I have had and never had issues.

Upvote 0

Congrats KW88 on joining the Android platform. Yes, initially it's harder finding your way around Android OS, but once you get how it works, how to customize your phone, you'll love it :D

I believe this is what you're looking for: http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-evo-4g/85554-task-killers-must-read-new-android-users.html

ENJOY YOUR NEW EVO! :D

Edit: ah too slow -_-; Damn you sirslayer!! lol :p

Upvote 0
This has been posted a couple times in this thread:
http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-evo-4g/85554-task-killers-must-read-new-android-users.html

I listed some articles that talk all about this. You should be just fine running without ATK. There are a lot of skeptics (most are windows users) that think that killing apps is the way to go. Read that forum lots of good info. It will always be something everyone talks about. Store reps, I wouldn't trust as far as I can throw a house when it comes to Task Killers. I have not killed a process in the last 3 android phones I have had and never had issues.
Thank you, I appreciate the response!

Upvote 0
Congrats KW88 on joining the Android platform. Yes, initially it's harder finding your way around Android OS, but once you get how it works, how to customize your phone, you'll love it :D

I believe this is what you're looking for: http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-evo-4g/85554-task-killers-must-read-new-android-users.html

ENJOY YOUR NEW EVO! :D

Edit: ah too slow -_-; Damn you sirslayer!! lol :p
Thanks! Yes, I have heard that the OS is quite wonderful and I really hope to be able to learn enough about it to use it to its somewhat full potential. :)

Upvote 0
It won't cause you any problems just being on the phone.

After reading that thread from a while back about ATK and it possibly being bad for the OS I have a question. If I have ATK installed but killed (via itself) it cannot cause any harm correct?

I guess I could uninstall it, but I'm just thinking it might come in handy from time to time.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
After reading that thread from a while back about ATK and it possibly being bad for the OS I have a question. If I have ATK installed but killed (via itself) it cannot cause any harm correct?

I guess I could uninstall it, but I'm just thinking it might come in handy from time to time.

Thoughts?

I would uninstall it. I have read horror stories of it causing notifications not working and causing 3rd pary apps to choke.

Astro File Manager. This is a multi function application that does have a task killer if in case you absolutely need to kill an app. Its non intrusive and is useful in many other ways, like well managing your files on the SD Card ;-).

Upvote 0
Thanks! Yes, I have heard that the OS is quite wonderful and I really hope to be able to learn enough about it to use it to its somewhat full potential. :)

When you have time, read around ALL of the forums, not just the EVO. The best thing about Android is that...it's not 'limited' to one type of phone, it spans across all of the Android phones. So most Android users will have very similar experiences with their phones. Like, if you have a question, it's most likely asked already, so don't forget to search first :cool:

To understand a bit more on Android, I'd recommend you read this thread: http://androidforums.com/android-ap...ps-avoid-viruses-guide-those-new-android.html

Upvote 0

Thoughts?

You do know that the phone has a feature to kill apps right?
Settings ->Applications->running services.

Reactions: GhostFlame
Upvote 0
Running services is just what that system calls it. When you open it, it shows you all of the active apps... when you click on it you can stop it.

Mine only shows services it doesn't show any apps that are sitting inactive or running in the background. There is in fact a difference between the two. Although I agree that it is probably the running services that can/is eating power. But most of those can be stopped by simply not having the app do auto updates. If you have a task killer installed you can see the apps that the services doesn't show.

Reactions: Roze
Upvote 0
Mine only shows services it doesn't show any apps that are sitting inactive or running in the background. There is in fact a difference between the two. Although I agree that it is probably the running services that can/is eating power. But most of those can be stopped by simply not having the app do auto updates. If you have a task killer installed you can see the apps that the services doesn't show.

OK, thanks for the clarification :) I don't use a task killer so thought that running services were active apps. So what dictate an app as a running service versus an active app? I'm thinking they are widgets you use on your homescreen?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones