• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] ODIN Backup for --> SPH-L710_MG2

smith058

Android Expert
Jun 11, 2011
SoCal
***USE AT YOUR OWN RISK***
*** missing baseband at the moment ***

ODIN Backup for --> BOOST MOBILE SPH-L710_MG2 stock with root access

If you are looking for out of the box stock without any updates go to this thread: ODIN Backup for --> SPH-L710_MD7 stock

this is a stock odin backup for SPH-L710_MG2 (stock system-boot-recovery) with root access
data and cache is not backed up so as soon as you can you will have to clear dalvik cache, cache, and data --- or just do a factory reset.

Extract the 7-Zip file
use Odin3 v3.07
put in pda slot only!
uncheck auto reboot
connect your phone
when properly connected (if you dont know -- dont use)
press start
when finished pull battery
enter recovery
factory reset
reboot to system
you know should be MG2 stock

TO REMOVE ROOT:
i suggest running triangle away before you unroot
install SuperSU
Grant root permission
open SuperSU
goto settings
scroll all the way down
press "Full unroot"
after it reboots you will be unrooted

Tested and working
rooted system / recovery / boot.img (kernel)
Download Via ( MEGA | MediaFire ) --- Will take 10-15 minutes to flash

Good Luck

========= TO UPDATE BASEBAND (UNTIL I REPACK ODIN WITH IT) ===========

to update baseband:

- download [root] adbd Insecure read the description for a link to get it free
- from the app enable insecure adbd
- now you got to use adb.... or you can use Terminal Emulator
----- here is a simplified adb
----- unzip
----- connect your phone
----- click on cmd.exe
----- type: adb shell
----- type: su
- backup what you got type:
[HIGH]dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/extSdCard/modem.bin[/HIGH]- from your sdcard move the new file "modem.bin" to a safe place on your computer...
- then download modem_MG2.7z
- Extract the 7-Zip file
- move the modem.bin to your sdcard
- then push it to you phone type:
[HIGH]dd if=/mnt/extSdCard/modem.bin of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1[/HIGH]-reboot

good luck

Or a nice and easy cwm/twrp Flashable zip

YEAH!!!!
WHOOOHOOO!!!!
:dancing2::dancing2::dancing2:

cwm.mod.img did not work
had to use CWM.MOD2.IMG ---- IT WORKS

Thanks for giving the link to the post
making my first cwm backup now

THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!! THANKS!!! thanks!!!

Upvote 0
who wants to try something????

then flash this via odin: pda--SPH-L710_MG2-my_rooted_FULL.tar
this will flash many partitions:
aboot/boot/persist/recovery/rpm/sbl1/sbl2/sbl3/system/tz

it should work for a full upgrade... but it might make your phone like mine o where you will not be able to use custom recovery.... that's why you want to copy those partitions, just in case

just tried... it fails... cutting link

Upvote 0
OK folks, i can not figure out how to get odin to flash these extra files... odin says FAIL! (Auth).... and my phone says SECURE CHECK FAIL
i know the files are good, i just cant figure it out! (im just like most of you guys, im slowly learning with every phone and as i read these forums)

so i have made an easy one click bat file that will flash the rest of the needed partitions. i have tested this on my phone and it works for me, but just in case i have also made it to extract the partitions from your phone first for a backup which you get to keep for rainy days.....

****TESTER ONLY****

so here is what you need:
first do the odin in the op (if you alredy have then skip)
then download [root] adbd Insecure read the description for a link to get it free
from the app enable insecure adbd
then connect your phone to usb
download ADB--UpdateTo_MG2_Baseband.zip
extract to desktop
double click on " UpdateTo_MG2_Baseband.bat "

once done check your baseband in: options - about phone
report back

a seccessful flash should look like this:
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
waiting about 10 seconds for connections
creating temporary directory @ /sdcard/temp
mkdir failed for /sdcard/temp, File exists

copying partition images from your device

===========================================
aboot.mbn
4096+0 records in
4096+0 records out
2097152 bytes transferred in 0.672 secs (3120761 bytes/sec)
persist.img.ext4
16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
8388608 bytes transferred in 2.477 secs (3386599 bytes/sec)
rpm.mbn
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
524288 bytes transferred in 0.148 secs (3542486 bytes/sec)
sbl1.mbn
256+0 records in
256+0 records out
131072 bytes transferred in 0.038 secs (3449263 bytes/sec)
sbl2.mbn
512+0 records in
512+0 records out
262144 bytes transferred in 0.073 secs (3591013 bytes/sec)
sbl3.mbn
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
524288 bytes transferred in 0.153 secs (3426718 bytes/sec)
tz.mbn
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
524288 bytes transferred in 0.150 secs (3495253 bytes/sec)

packing into "MyBackup-pda.tar"

fetching "MyBackup-pda.tar"
3126 KB/s (12456448 bytes in 3.891s)

cleaning up

backup complete

on your computer, in this same directory...
see if you have "MyBackup-pda.tar"
it should be about about 12,456,448 bytes

if you dont have it, unplug your phone now
and start over

if you do have, press any key to continue
Press any key to continue . . .

pushing new MG2 imiges to device
2720 KB/s (2097152 bytes in 0.752s)
2462 KB/s (524288 bytes in 0.207s)
2339 KB/s (262144 bytes in 0.109s)
2411 KB/s (524288 bytes in 0.212s)
2455 KB/s (524288 bytes in 0.208s)
.....flahing new partitions.....
aboot.mbn
4096+0 records in
4096+0 records out
2097152 bytes transferred in 0.451 secs (4650004 bytes/sec)
rpm.mbn
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
524288 bytes transferred in 0.106 secs (4946113 bytes/sec)
sbl2.mbn
512+0 records in
512+0 records out
262144 bytes transferred in 0.054 secs (4854518 bytes/sec)
sbl3.mbn
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
524288 bytes transferred in 0.144 secs (3640888 bytes/sec)
tz.mbn
1024+0 records in
1024+0 records out
524288 bytes transferred in 0.107 secs (4899887 bytes/sec)

cleaning up

Flashing complete

Rebooting your system

you should now have MG2 baseband

***EDIT***
well i made another one for stock MD7... ive been flashing back and forth and still no change in the baseband... only two partitions ive left out "non-hlos.img" and "cache.img.ext4"... i dont see how cache would change any thing and i have no clue where non-hlos.img is...

but i would run it any way to get the changed partitions.

also by going back and forth... i took the update a few times, i think i have a no hassle stock odin that will take the update, but that's the other tread:D.

Upvote 0
Can anybody please confirm that the latest image linked in this thread will:

A. Not trigger triangle
B. Flash all correct components including baseband
C. Not cause brick or undesirable behavior (just making sure)

Also does anybody have the MD5 sum for the latest image as is currently linked in this thread?

I'm pretty sure this is the rom I'm looking for but I like to cover all my bases. I softbricked my S2 once so bad I couldn't even put it into download mode (luckily I discovered the error screen also served the download function), and that was a really lousy night. If the correct baseband does not flash but the additional package flashes it with no problems that will be fine but I'd prefer to know beforehand.

Thanks

Upvote 0
A. Yes, If you use Odin it will trigger triangle.
B. All but baseband, I've been wanting to update it, but have not the time.
C. Use at your own risk... It has been tested and works... I used on my phone at least 5 times.

Baseband is the modem.img its been posted somewhere in our section and can be flashed via web or terminal emulator... I will post it this weekend for you if you wait... I don't know when I will get to update the Odin file to include the baseband, I really don't have the time for a bit.

We now have a setup that fixes a busted download mode, so the only way you can brick your phone now is by dropping it ... But it will still be a lousy and stressful day.

I would highly suggest using a recovery (cwm or twrp), what would you do if you removed/froze a bloat wear app that the system is Dependant on and next time you reboot your phone it goes into boot loop. Recovery would make life easier.

Reactions: t.burninator
Upvote 0
A. Yes, If you use Odin it will trigger triangle.
B. All but baseband, I've been wanting to update it, but have not the time.
C. Use at your own risk... It has been tested and works... I used on my phone at least 5 times.

Baseband is the modem.img its been posted somewhere in our section and can be flashed via web or terminal emulator... I will post it this weekend for you if you wait... I don't know when I will get to update the Odin file to include the baseband, I really don't have the time for a bit.

We now have a setup that fixes a busted download mode, so the only way you can brick your phone now is by dropping it ... But it will still be a lousy and stressful day.

I would highly suggest using a recovery (cwm or twrp), what would you do if you removed/froze a bloat wear app that the system is Dependant on and next time you reboot your phone it goes into boot loop. Recovery would make life easier.

I agree 110%. Use a recovery and run your own rooted stock ROM.

Upvote 0
So the conclusion I am reaching is that CWM/TWRP recovery over stock with rootzip will be the current best way to achieve rooted MG2 without triangle? Triangle not appreciated!! There are no issues with TWRP and malfunctioning recovery? I had read some about some issues with CWM but I understand there is a modded version that fixes such. Anybody care to link to TWRP? If not don't worry about, I'm sure I'd find it pretty quickly.

Upvote 0
So the conclusion I am reaching is that CWM/TWRP recovery over stock with rootzip will be the current best way to achieve rooted MG2 without triangle? Triangle not appreciated!! There are no issues with TWRP and malfunctioning recovery? I had read some about some issues with CWM but I understand there is a modded version that fixes such. Anybody care to link to TWRP? If not don't worry about, I'm sure I'd find it pretty quickly.

Here's the thread for recovery and root.

http://androidforums.com/boost-mobi...1-guide-rooting-recovery-galaxy-s3-boost.html

Scroll down to post #50 and replace the steps I have listed with the ones in the original tutorial. You'll be good to go with TWRP recovery and root when you're done. :D

Here are the steps I edited.

http://androidforums.com/boost-mobi...ing-recovery-galaxy-s3-boost.html#post6127185

Upvote 0
Aaaaand.... Boost Zone and Mobile ID are now GONE!

Oddly enough, the TWRP Odin package didn't work but the CWM from the same page did. So CWM it is, rootzip installed, my S3 is officially less bloated. With NO TRIANGLE. Bam! Thanks for your help. Guess I should make a nandroid now before I do anything else.

Weird. TWRP has worked for the last 3 people I've shown how to use that method. Oh well, CWM is cool and will serve your purpose. Glad it worked for you.

And yes, definitely make a backup. :D

Just for future reference in case you decide you want to try some awesome ROMs, here a link to a good many of them. ;)

http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=6155020

Wicked Sensations and The MOAR ROM seem to be the most popular right now.

Upvote 0
Aaaaand.... Boost Zone and Mobile ID are now GONE!

Oddly enough, the TWRP Odin package didn't work but the CWM from the same page did. So CWM it is, rootzip installed, my S3 is officially less bloated. With NO TRIANGLE. Bam! Thanks for your help. Guess I should make a nandroid now before I do anything else.

Glad it all went well... If you went into download mode and used Odin to flash recovery you probably do have a triangle and a flash count of 1... To check go into download mode again and see if it shows... If it does there is a app that will reset the flash count/"triangle"... Check out "triangle away" from the play store, its a flashers best friend (that and recovery and Odin)

Upvote 0
Yeah my counter's at 2 (remember TWRP didn't work) but I've long stayed leery to try Triangle Away. As long as I don't have triangle (and I don't) then I'm good. In most situations there's little reason to pop into download mode to check that counter anyway.

Are you asserting Triangle Away works without any issue on our phone?

I have never had to use Triangle Away that I can remember. All of my devices (2 Galaxy Prevails, LG Marquee, HTC One SV, Galaxy S3, and the Asus TF300T Transformer) have all had a recovery flashed and been rooted within an hour or so of opening their box. I'm a flasher. I buy a device to modify it. Once you've seen the ROMs I've seen and what they are capable of, stock just doesn't get it for me anymore. Not only have I tested quite a few ROMs and kernels for a good many developers, I also like trying new ROMs just to see how they compare with the others.

As for the counter, that's one thing I've never worried about. My Prevail and Marquee's flash counters are probably in the 100's. lol :D

Upvote 0
Yeah my counter's at 2 (remember TWRP didn't work) but I've long stayed leery to try Triangle Away. As long as I don't have triangle (and I don't) then I'm good. In most situations there's little reason to pop into download mode to check that counter anyway.

Are you asserting Triangle Away works without any issue on our phone?

Yup triangleaway works fine with our phone... You do want to use triangle away to reset the counter and triangle in case you ever need warranty with Samsung...

Now if you don't mind that triangle and counter in download mode, which is the only place you will see the triangle, then have fun with you phone and try new things... Samsung makes great phones for people that like to modify n flash.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones