• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] Official Carbon KitKat Nightlies Are Here!!

Awesome!

After hooking up with Carbon on Google+ and reading a lot of the comments, one of the main things people need to remember about these nightly builds is that they are experimental and that just because they are called nightlies doesn't mean there will be a build everyday. It kind of pissed me off to read people asking the question over and over about when the next build would be released. When a person makes the decision to run a nightly build of any ROM, they always need to keep this in mind.

Yeah, did you see how many people responded that they feel the way you and I do after I requested Carbon ROM moderator pin that post to the top of the page? Was good to know I wasn't the only one getting annoyed. LO freaking L!

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0
Yeah, did you see how many people responded that they feel the way you and I do after I requested Carbon ROM moderator pin that post to the top of the page? Was good to know I wasn't the only one getting annoyed. LO freaking L!

No doubt bro. It's a crying shame that some people don't even take the time to read a few posts back. They just jump in there and start typing. In the case of Carbon on Google+, they could have found their answer if only they had taken the time to go back and catch up on what all had been posted over the past day or so. What REALLY pisses me off is when a person asks a question or makes a statement and the answer is only 2 or 3 posts back. LMAO! That's just plain laziness bro. If a person doesn't want to take the time to read they have no business running a customized phone let alone freaking nightly. :D

Upvote 0
Ditto what Biker said above. The Carbon change log is a good place to check out what has been added or fixed, and can help with the decision on which nightly to flash (I flash most of them, but if the change log shows nothing of consequence, I will skip that particular one).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zcp6iVWVw_7iH-ErnKgkYy3r5QuqV8PHFoQMb8hoBwQ/pub

Remember, Carbon has had several builds fail lately, but they still post the change log, so don't equate a change log with a guarantee of a corresponding build. Also, welcome to the forums, your username is making me hungry!

Yeah, I saw the changelog. Other than PIE, which I don't really want/need, the only noticeable update I see is when they updated the version of Android it runs on. Since everything is working with no problems on the build I'm using, I'm wondering if any of those changes would warrant an update. In other words, is there any noticeable improvement in the newest build over the build I'm using that would warrant an update? Is it faster, does it improve battery life, improve signal strength, etc?

Also, my account is more than a year older than yours. I just lurk. So let ME welcome YOU to the forums. ^_^

Because new builds sometimes contain bug fixes and also new features. Does your build have PIE? It was just added a few builds ago.

If I don't notice any bugs in my current build, should I update anyway? Are there any security vulnerabilities or something like that? The build I'm running will occasionally freeze, requiring me to reboot/remove the battery, but it happens so infrequently that it doesn't really bother me.

I mentioned above that I'm not really interested in PIE. Should I be? From what I've read and seen about it, it seems like the sort of thing I'd be excited about at first, but then I'd just keep triggering it accidentally until I get frustrated and disable it entirely.

Now that I think about it, I guess I could just make a nandroid and give the newer builds a shot. Do I use the 03/02 d2spr or the 03/03 d2lte build? Is it okay to dirty flash from the 02/09 build?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I saw the changelog. Other than PIE, which I don't really want/need, the only noticeable update I see is when they updated the version of Android it runs on. Since everything is working with no problems on the build I'm using, I'm wondering if any of those changes would warrant an update. In other words, is there any noticeable improvement in the newest build over the build I'm using that would warrant an update? Is it faster, does it improve battery life, improve signal strength, etc?

Also, my account is more than a year older than yours. I just lurk. So let ME welcome YOU to the forums. ^_^

If I don't notice any bugs in my current build, should I update anyway? Are there any security vulnerabilities or something like that? The build I'm running will occasionally freeze, requiring me to reboot/remove the battery, but it happens so infrequently that it doesn't really bother me.

I mentioned above that I'm not really interested in PIE. Should I be? From what I've read and seen about it, it seems like the sort of thing I'd be excited about at first, but then I'd just keep triggering it accidentally until I get frustrated and disable it entirely.

Now that I think about it, I guess I could just make a nandroid and give the newer builds a shot. Do I use the 03/02 d2spr or the 03/03 d2lte build? Is it okay to dirty flash from the 02/09 build?

The change log is the best place to see what has been added or fixed in the build you are looking at. As for PIE, well that is something that will probably stay with the ROM from here on out. I don't see them removing it. It is after all an upgrade.

As for dirty flashing, I really don't recommend it. The only time you should even consider dirty flashing is if you are updating from a relatively current build. Going from 2/9 to 3/3 is a pretty big jump. If it were me, I would do a clean install. One thing that you should always do when dirty flashing is to make sure that you wipe the cache and Dalvik cache. ;)

The freeze ups you mentioned should be gone for you in this newest build. I haven't had a freeze up with Carbon in some time now.

Now what are you waiting on? Go ahead and get the newest build and flash it! LOL :D

Upvote 0
What's the best nightly to run? Also does lte still become disable when using WiFi? Like I read when you have both on only one really works and to get the other one back working you have to reboot the phone and enable it.

For example say I have LTE on and WiFi off. Now
when I turn on WiFi normally well on stock tw both still work so like if I use the app super download that can use both I can use both networks. However on the builds I ran which are the ones on the main thread on the first page of this thread they only truly allow one to work which sucks. thanks you guys

Upvote 0
The change log is the best place to see what has been added or fixed in the build you are looking at. As for PIE, well that is something that will probably stay with the ROM from here on out. I don't see them removing it. It is after all an upgrade.

As for dirty flashing, I really don't recommend it. The only time you should even consider dirty flashing is if you are updating from a relatively current build. Going from 2/9 to 3/3 is a pretty big jump. If it were me, I would do a clean install. One thing that you should always do when dirty flashing is to make sure that you wipe the cache and Dalvik cache. ;)

The freeze ups you mentioned should be gone for you in this newest build. I haven't had a freeze up with Carbon in some time now.

Now what are you waiting on? Go ahead and get the newest build and flash it! LOL :D

Anyone try the new nightly out

Upvote 0
Anyone try the new nightly out

I haven't yet. Chances are Struckn has though. He usually stays up 2 date with Carbon & the newest nightlies. Wyelkins does too.

I've got hooked on another ROM that has nightlies. I've been staying up 2 date with it. I am like you though and curious to hear about the newest Carbon build. :)

Reactions: struckn
Upvote 0
I haven't yet. Chances are Struckn has though. He usually stays up 2 date with Carbon & the newest nightlies. Wyelkins does too.

I've got hooked on another ROM that has nightlies. I've been staying up 2 date with it. I am like you though and curious to hear about the newest Carbon build. :)

Downloaded 3/10 Carbon before work, will test flash in a couple of hours when I get home. Don't bother with 3/9, it's pretty much a dud. Been running LiquidSmooth very heavily lately, will start a thread for that tonight too. Might even share my personal version with some extra goodies added...

Upvote 0
Downloaded 3/10 Carbon before work, will test flash in a couple of hours when I get home. Don't bother with 3/9, it's pretty much a dud. Been running LiquidSmooth very heavily lately, will start a thread for that tonight too. Might even share my personal version with some extra goodies added...

Thanks bro. I look forward to your review of the Carbon nightly. I too, have been running LiquidSmooth. I went ahead and started its own thread too. It needed it. :D

Reactions: struckn
Upvote 0

3/10 is too can't even get 4G to connect I'm going to liquid smooth

Upvote 0
Carbon on the whole is still a great ROM.

Specific bugs will depends on manufacturer and carrier, but flashing never hurt anyone ;)

Yeah I just took a break from it and was on LS but I'm running it again and it's great just like I remember the I know they have a few issues with some of the builds but the newest one is great I might not even flash the comadose tweak that's how good it is

Upvote 0
Yeah I just took a break from it and was on LS but I'm running it again and it's great just like I remember the I know they have a few issues with some of the builds but the newest one is great I might not even flash the comadose tweak that's how good it is

Really??? It's that good???? Hmmmm.... Now I may just have to flash it.

I love AOKP. It's a great ROM when it has all of it's options working. I'm just a flashoholic at heart though. Me staying with one ROM w/o flashing anything else just isn't gonna happen. That's me.

Hello..... my name is Wetbiker7 and I am a FLASHOHOLIC. :)

That being said.... time to download the newest Carbon. Going to grab the newest snapshot of CM11 while I'm at it too! :D

Upvote 0
Sorry fellas. I gave up alcohol and cigarettes almost 4 years ago. I WILL NOT give up flashing. Ain't gonna happen. Nope........ NEVER! LMAO!!!

Android is more than just a hobby for me, it's a passion. Not only do I love flashing ROMs, I love all the goodness that comes along with it. This forum is one of the perks. I've met some awesome people in here. :D:thumbup:

Upvote 0
Sorry fellas. I gave up alcohol and cigarettes almost 4 years ago. I WILL NOT give up flashing. Ain't gonna happen. Nope........ NEVER! LMAO!!!

Android is more than just a hobby for me, it's a passion. Not only do I love flashing ROMs, I love all the goodness that comes along with it. This forum is one of the perks. I've met some awesome people in here. :D:thumbup:

I haven't gotten drunk since my first child was born over 7 years ago now but I probably won't give up my smoking lol. Flashing is an addiction for which I don't want recovery...unless it's android recovery haha.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones