• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] Tri-Band S3 (SPH-L710T)

Nice! I think I'm reday to root my phone, rooting my phone will change my current system setup? I mean, I don't want to lose connectivity, things like that. I'm sph-l710t 4.4.2. Is philz a safe method to root? I'm aware of the chances of bricking my phone. I want to be able to install root apps like TB, root explorer, etc. I'm not flashing customs roms for now I'd like to stay in stock rom a little longer. I just want to be sure, I worked so hard to get this phone and i don't want to end up bricking it or messing things up, do you know what i mean? I want to thank everyone in advance and for the great work you guys are doing!

Upvote 0
figured I'd share my setup. Flash as one would do so with a ROM based around TouchWiz. Did not try out any kernels.

CyanogenMod version: 11-20140916-SNAPSHOT-M10-d2lte
Everything works except rotation (setting Rotation to 0 & 90 degrees is a workaround somewhat).
Spark LTE acquired after manually setting the APNs.

ac7dadc985f15cec1290a6a18a1715f2.jpg

Upvote 0
EDIT: btw just tested the kernel on a custom rom for the a non-triband model & it fixes the landscape rotation issues. no more flipped inversion.
Been busy with work... And sleep. Care to share what you mean? I've still yet to find a fix D: I used your kernel, got NFC and Phone FCs (BeanStalk ROM)

PHILZ_TOUCH_RECOVERY-6.48.4_d2lterefreshspr.zip
**official release d2lte

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95747613655045627

And this zip is 0 bytes lol

Edit: Installed Conquest Singularity. Worked perfectly except rotation. Installed the stock kernel, and it fixes rotation. Broke WiFi. Lol

Upvote 0
d2lterefreshspr - sphl710t boost galaxy s3 triband
individual partitions pulled from adb

use with caution
aboot -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p5
backup -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p21
boot -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p7
carrier -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p20
efs -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p11
fota -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p19
fsg -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p22
grow -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p24
modem -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
modemst1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p12
modemst2 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p13
pad -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p9
param -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p10
persist -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p16
recovery -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p18 **philz_touch6
rpm -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p6
sbl1 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p2
sbl2 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p3
sbl3 -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p4
ssd -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p23
tz -> /dev/block/mmcblk0p8
password=wykydtron

link-
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95747613655049552

Upvote 0
Well i posted as a guest earlier about this guys. ii really need help. ive been at this over 10 hours straight! my phone is a week old samsung galaxy s3 sph-l710t. i rooted the phone on day 2 and was working fine till last night when the battery died and shut off. i plugged it in and powered up. thats when it all went crazy. first i had issue of touchwiz home stopping. finally after none of the fixes i could find fixed it i just installed (i forget the name now but started with a N) and that got me moving alittle. then every stock function, contacts dialer messaging keyboard ect all started to stop. after about 3 hours i decided to try and flash. worked fine no brick but i cant get a modem/radio to work now. so after trying a great many of them that did nothing i restored my screwed up back up. now back tio the origonal problem but add no modem/radio working now also. im completely at a loss as to where to go. i have philz on the phone so good there. im by no means a noob but also not extreamly expireienced either. it appears to me i need to start all over and do a clean flash. i havent been able to come by anything i understand (only ever worked with android never any others. id like to stay with something identical to 4.4.2 but am willing to go other routes if necessary. what i really need is expirience and a working product to install. apparently my self taught linux skills arent as good as i would like to think and am in over my head. please help

Upvote 0
Reactions: pup huskie
Upvote 0
If you installed the NDC or ND8 modem it won't work with your phone. You have to install the correct modem (aka baseband) for your model.

I'd recommend reading this entire thread. http://androidforums.com/boost-mobile-galaxy-s3-all-things-root/870166-tri-band-s3-sph-l710t.html. Your phone's model is newer and different than most of ours here so none of the older Roms work correctly.

Thank you very much! I stumbled across what appears to be a working rom. atleast it doesnt error everything out when i turn on the phione. i found a link for a modem to try in the thread you were speaking of. gonna give it a shot and see. looks like i have a bit of play time left and a bit of time before there may be something better comming along :)

edit: being im going with the same version of os do i need to do anything iwith the boot loader to do a clean flash?

Upvote 0
hey guys.. was wondering how to get the wifi on a rooted deoxed stock rom going. i used your modem image as just an image file as the flashable link says can not be found. i atleast have phone service now but i really dont have any g out where im at so idk if thats a go or not yet. eithier way its a huge help. any iideas?:)

I saw your other thread, where you were recommended here. Welcome!
I only know of custom ROMs, as I do not mess with stock at all. If you can makes call and/or get and send SMS, you have the proper radio. Data should work with an APN fix.
I can recommend Conquest: Singularity, as everything on it, to include wifi, bluetooth, and data, all work. The only thing inoperable in it is the rotation.
Good luck!

I Download it 3 times and it shows 0 MB, can someone help me out with this?

The last two files he has uploaded have been 0 Bytes. I'm not sure what's going on. It's not your end. If you just follow the link, the info on the right says it's 0 bytes.

Upvote 0
well a great any thanks to quite a few people here. my phone is operational minus the wifi so far. it only took 19 hours straight and a few close calls of wanting to fly across the room but i feel likE I learned quite alot having gone through it nut from now on im not going to expirement on my primarary bussiness line. ill wait till i have one i dont need all the time. on that note if anyone has any ideas as to why the wifi wont turn on i would most certaily appreciate that as i live in an area where even getting 1g is impressive so wifi is my main source of network for the phone. THANK YOU AGAIN!:D

Reactions: fatnickd1
Upvote 0
which files ? ive been busy sorry guys.
** ok i'm fixing this now, found them
the most recent post with the individual pulled img files i am unable to re-up
sorry about that. & the philz touch rec i just fixed

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001602558

seems both of the uploads confirmed as complete by androidfilehost & in reality they didn't even start the process. lol

Reactions: FoxTrot
Upvote 0
hey guys.. was wondering how to get the wifi on a rooted deoxed stock rom going. i used your modem image as just an image file as the flashable link says can not be found. i atleast have phone service now but i really dont have any g out where im at so idk if thats a go or not yet. eithier way its a huge help. any iideas?:)

try this: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=95784891001602562
its the modem.img
just the .img
should be useable through philz
its the same one used initially when i helped FoxTrot

Upvote 0

no tethering app needed!!!!! just edit your apn .....the simple words than ur done.......

you need
to know your msl

open dialer and enter ##DATA# select edit

then scroll down and select more
view

scroll to the bottom and select LTE APN settings
view

scroll to the bottom and select
view

then scroll till you see APN TYPE
view

select it a edit box will pop up
view

then add ,Dun
select ok your network bar will reset and
then your good to go.....start using your wifi hotspot
free of charge and with out adding bloatware
also your hotspot will operate with 3g or 4g
view
view

this is not my finding.... i read about it over in xda so credit goes to someone over there.... just thought i would share how to do it

if it helped you hop on over there and give thanks where needed

Upvote 0
no tethering app needed!!!!! just edit your apn .....the simple words than ur done.......

you need
to know your msl

open dialer and enter ##DATA# select edit

then scroll down and select more
view

scroll to the bottom and select LTE APN settings
view

scroll to the bottom and select
view

then scroll till you see APN TYPE
view

select it a edit box will pop up
view

then add ,Dun
select ok your network bar will reset and
then your good to go.....start using your wifi hotspot
free of charge and with out adding bloatware
also your hotspot will operate with 3g or 4g
view
view

this is not my finding.... i read about it over in xda so credit goes to someone over there.... just thought i would share how to do it

if it helped you hop on over there and give thanks where needed

I've done this with limited success.
the thing about a tri band phone is that is use 3 of four cellular signals available at the moment. This works yes but ive even switched back to stock because of dropped connections & roaming indications.

i also have not been able to access the dialer codes on any other rom but stock. got everything and more as in data to enter to the apn settings but it fails.

there is a universal boost apn flashable fix ive tried to no avail. it managed to eradicate all apn settings.

settings for boost triband needs band10+band26+band41 btw
&

APN SETTINGS

NAME: whatever you want APN2 LTE internet
APN: n.boost.ispsn
MMSC: http://mm.myboostmobile.com
MM proxy: 68.28.31.7
MM port: 80
MCC:311 (=locale north america)
MNC:870
APN type:default,mms
Bearer: LTE

Upvote 0
I've done this with limited success.
the thing about a tri band phone is that is use 3 of four cellular signals available at the moment. This works yes but ive even switched back to stock because of dropped connections & roaming indications.

i also have not been able to access the dialer codes on any other rom but stock. got everything and more as in data to enter to the apn settings but it fails.

there is a universal boost apn flashable fix ive tried to no avail. it managed to eradicate all apn settings.

settings for boost triband needs band10+band26+band41 btw
&

APN SETTINGS

NAME: whatever you want APN2 LTE internet
APN: n.boost.ispsn
MMSC: http://mm.myboostmobile.com
MM proxy: 68.28.31.7
MM port: 80
MCC:311 (=locale north america)
MNC:870
APN type:default,mms
Bearer: LTE

I installed Conquest: Singularity, and the Boost APN fix, and then booted. The hotspot works out of box, full LTE everywhere... No data issues.

Edit:

Disregard. Didn't realize the topic was for the stock ROM.

Upvote 0
took longer to read the instructions than it did to actually make the change....and i only had to add the one word.....(,Dun) to the (APN TYPE) on my phone and a few others and it immediatly worked..... be sure to turn your connection optimizer off
and if you cant get to your apn settings because of the dialer not working correctly you can get to it using aSHELL and aSQLITE MANAGER

sorry if it didnt help you but i thought id share it for those that want to stay unrooted and dont want to pay a subscription fee ($20mo) or download apps to teather...

i guess it works for some and not for others but i can confirmed it worked for 5 samsung galaxy s3 (l710T-boostmobile) phones running 4.4.2 stock

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones