• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.
lg wants their devices locked, its a smart business decision :)

And buying something other than a new LG product after owning a Connect was a smart decision on my part. If I had one inkling of hope in somebody unlocking the LG bootloaders, I totally would have bought a Spirit. Even in the case that it was never unlocked, if it weren't for the ugly inverted IDKWTF kinda ICS UI they puked up I would still buy it. I like to theme my stuff, or at least have the Vanilla ICS if I can't have anything else :D

Two powerful phones (770/870) with great potential that are locked up until 20 years after EOL is a damn shame. If I really wanted to use a phone for what it's meant to do, how the phone's manufacturer wanted me to use it and if I enjoyed wearing turtlenecks and bunny slippers I'd have an iPhone already. But looks like Android manufacturers are still going the Apple route, despite hearing that some were considering selling phones unlocked?

Upvote 0
And buying something other than a new LG product after owning a Connect was a smart decision on my part. If I had one inkling of hope in somebody unlocking the LG bootloaders, I totally would have bought a Spirit. Even in the case that it was never unlocked, if it weren't for the ugly inverted IDKWTF kinda ICS UI they puked up I would still buy it. I like to theme my stuff, or at least have the Vanilla ICS if I can't have anything else :D

Two powerful phones (770/870) with great potential that are locked up until 20 years after EOL is a damn shame. If I really wanted to use a phone for what it's meant to do, how the phone's manufacturer wanted me to use it and if I enjoyed wearing turtlenecks and bunny slippers I'd have an iPhone already. But looks like Android manufacturers are still going the Apple route, despite hearing that some were considering selling phones unlocked?

I bought the Spirit with the express intention of unlocking the bootloader.

Upvote 0
By back door to fast boot do you mean getting your phone to boot into it b.c I did on accident on the spirit flashing things I shouldn't have. I had no idea what to do so I just pushed back my boot image.

Nah, all you have to do is wipe the boot partition for that. If you look in the disassembly there are two different fastboot loops. One is the normal one (with the oem-unlock stuff hardcoded out via a hard jump), and the other one is labeled "BACKDOOR". The backdoor'd fastboot looks like oem-unlock is accessible (it actually has an entry in the jump-table unlike the "normal" fastboot), but still requires a signed certificate from LG.

Upvote 0
Lets keep matters on topic, lets agree to disagree and move on, name calling is not called for, if you have an issue with a post, simply report it rather then adding fuel to the fire. Thanks all for understanding, and lets all get along.

Upvote 0
Ok so reading around I see how emails and petitions to LG have been successful in getting them to unlock the bootloader through an ota update on some devices. I think this might be be our best option at this point.. Ive already sent two emails to them. One I've already got a response to saying we cannot access the bootloader which I already knew. The second i was a little more forward and direct. I still haven't received a reply on that one as of now, which I'm taking as a good sign considering they replied within minutes to the first.

Upvote 0
Actually no. I no longer have a motion, I got an l9. When I have time to see how this works I'm going to see if it works for the l9. Just haven't forgot about the motion community :)
Edit ... trying now but can't get furthur than executing script and it errors on unpackbootimg and mkbootimg not found even though they are there. This is testing on cygwin though it should work
Edit... both those images are binary and cygwin won't run them so I modified the LG script to work with the cygwin modified image pl's and it work but a few of the LG files are binary. Doh! Now attempting on my Ubuntu build but last time it crashed it was left in pretty bad shape lol.

Upvote 0
OK I got it working after fixing my Ubuntu build and installing 32bit libraries since I decided to try out the 64bit Ubuntu. I only signed a recovery image for the l9 and used adb reboot recovery which gave me a android with a triangle (not a secure error). I'm not even sure its signed on this phone lol. I unpacked/modded/repacked my boot. Img and will test tomorrow. If you guys link me to your boot. Img I will mod it and sign it tomorrow and you can test it if nobody else has done it yet.

Upvote 0
OK I got it working after fixing my Ubuntu build and installing 32bit libraries since I decided to try out the 64bit Ubuntu. I only signed a recovery image for the l9 and used adb reboot recovery which gave me a android with a triangle (not a secure error). I'm not even sure its signed on this phone lol. I unpacked/modded/repacked my boot. Img and will test tomorrow. If you guys link me to your boot. Img I will mod it and sign it tomorrow and you can test it if nobody else has done it yet.

i tried it, and it did not work for me, I get the certify error

I examined what the signature looks like when it signs it, and it does not look like it has the same format as the stock signature

you have to realize that wkpark found these keys / keytool in a Ginger Bread source that LG put out by accident, so I am sure a lot has changed since then

I find it interesting that you got that triangle and not the error, so maybe you should experiment and little more, maybe we did not use the same method

for the record i did

unpacked stock recovery and repacked it
and then did

./signimg.sh recovery.img

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones