• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Built for Speed

ozonetrooper

Android Expert
Feb 21, 2016
South of Texas
Spin up drive on my desktop finally went to lunch and did not come back.

Parts got here Friday, just need to put it together :

new hot rod (1).jpg

new hot rod (2).jpg

Upvote 0
This was a put together package deal from NewEgg build a new machine portal.

There were many options, I had to wing it for knowledge .... and of course there was a ceiling limit for price which I broke big time !

I am not a gamer but the mobo fit what I think I want in one, it has 2 M.2 connections, I can always add on later. I am working with a AMD 6 core now and moving up seemed like a good thing to do, just did not know how far I needed to move.

borg1

Upvote 0
I agree. Could have went with 32gb and a higher speed. Also agree with the NVME suggestion. With savings on the Ram could have stepped up to a 3700x cpu.
I almost replaced my 2700x for a 37 (still debating)
This was a put together package deal from NewEgg build a new machine portal.

There were many options, I had to wing it for knowledge .... and of course there was a ceiling limit for price which I broke big time !

I am not a gamer but the mobo fit what I think I want in one, it has 2 M.2 connections, I can always add on later. I am working with a AMD 6 core now and moving up seemed like a good thing to do, just did not know how far I needed to move.

borg1
It's all good! Didn't want to sound critical, as the PCMR people can sometimes sound.

But, if you still have the option, I'd 100% change ram to 32gb total, even hard core gaming would barely make use of that much, and upgrade to a NVME. A non nvme M.2 SSD is the same as a 2.5, just with a different connector. If you want the faster available, you HAVE to go NVME. And the king is a Samsung Pro, 970, or whatever latest model is.
Also, if budget allows it, I'd absolutely go with the 3700X, but NVME will garner you more performance gains, IMO, especially than what you are used to.

Upvote 0
K/then I did not mean to jack the thread, butt if Admin/MOD will allow, how bout this ?

Everything is still in the UPS box for now, (I have not opened them yet, yes 2 boxes of toys !) what if I keep/use the overkill RAM and use the WD module for a back up drive and acquire a Nvme (Sammy ... lol I like that), for my OS and programs, IF the mobo M.2 will allow that ?

I have three external drives with plenty of storage and if worse comes to worse the drive I am using now was/is a slave drive with a bootable backup of my OS on it for just this kind of event.

I will have plenty of options for a working drive when I get there, my focus now is to get the most I can while building a new machine.

Speed is what I am after, if I am only a few hundred dollars from goin balls to the wall, count me in !

Upvote 0
K/then I did not mean to jack the thread, butt if Admin/MOD will allow, how bout this ?

Everything is still in the UPS box for now, (I have not opened them yet, yes 2 boxes of toys !) what if I keep/use the overkill RAM and use the WD module for a back up drive and acquire a Nvme (Sammy ... lol I like that), for my OS and programs, IF the mobo M.2 will allow that ?

I have three external drives with plenty of storage and if worse comes to worse the drive I am using now was/is a slave drive with a bootable backup of my OS on it for just this kind of event.

I will have plenty of options for a working drive when I get there, my focus now is to get the most I can while building a new machine.

Speed is what I am after, if I am only a few hundred dollars from goin balls to the wall, count me in !

I get it! And I feel ya. Having that much ram is really just... pointless, *unless* you are running virtual machines, or super heavy graphic processing/editing.... Even then. For real, as far as gaming is concerned more than 16 is pointless, but I still went 32 just for bragging rights, LOL. I don't even game much anymore.

But, did you not get a graphics card? Can't forget that!

And yes, I have a backup SSD (a 2.5) that I use for working files and such, while OS and programs run off the king: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSD-970-PRO-512GB/dp/B07C8Y31G2

I've not played with a MB with 2 m.2 slots, but should be fine with a drive in each, as long as they fit. Otherwise you can go NVME and a 2.5. M.2 is just the name of the form factor, so not faster than a 2.5 SSD. NVME is the step up from 'regular' SSD's, lol

@ozonetrooper I spun this off into it's own thread.

If you want a really screaming PC then get the NvME drive and use some of that 128GB RAM for a virtual cache/temp drive.

Good call!

I keep meaning to figure out how to successfully OC my Ram to actually get the advertised speeds, but so far I have failed, lol.

Upvote 0
The X570 motherboard should be able to handle an either/or combination of 2 x NVME/1 x NVME & 1 x M.2/2 x M.2 drives. That chipset/board has more PCI-E lanes to allow simultaneous use of high speed drives. If speed is the intention, a gen 4 NVME drive is faster but more expensive of course.

I went from a 1700x to 3600x to 3700x over the course of less than a year. I don't regret it. While there are few games that benefit from 32gb of ram, the extra headroom also allows other programs to run without maxing out the available ram. GTA V uses 10-11gb on it's own. The massive open-world games are the ones that will benefit the most, but for gaming the sweetspot for speed/cost is ~ 3200mhz. Anything faster might get you a few more FPS, but frames per $ might not make sense. For 4k gaming 32-64gb might be needed in the not so distant future.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Spin up drive on my desktop finally went to lunch and did not come back.

Parts got here Friday, just need to put it together :

View attachment 153593

View attachment 153594

Doesn't it need a graphic card, or is that integrated into the main-board? And a PC case including PSU as well?

FWIW it's about 13 years since I last built a desktop PC from components.

Upvote 0
I do image editing and play with photos, (Old Skool called it "shopping" I do not use photo shop though), I will be using some parts from this machine on the new build, 1000 w power supply, WD slave spin up, (which is what I am using now), 28" monitor, 3 desktop usb hard-drives, dvd (not blueray), burner and some of the fans.

The new tower case has a clear side and I have led fans as well as some cool looking patterned cables I gotta dig up from the parts boxes.

The AMD came with it's own fan and after looking at it yesterday I may not use the cooler master option, last time I built one fans were not included.

As to the graphic card question, I need to read the mobo specs again, pretty sure it comes with onboard option, I busted the ceiling for price and could not afford a separate card.

added: from the net : The Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS supports onboard graphics. This allows for integrated graphics when paired with a compatible CPU that supports them.

Footnote : after reading more it appears my Ryzen is not a graphics card cpu, meaning I will need a graphics card.

Anyone concur ?

Again I appreciate all the input, I will make a Frankenstein out of this yet !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
after reading more it appears my Ryzen is not a graphics card cpu, meaning I will need a graphics card.

Yep. I can confirm that for you. The Intel CPU's generally come with onboard GPU's but many of the Ryzen chips don't. Really, if you are going to be doing video editing, you wouldn't want to run that through an onboard graphics chip anyway. You don't have to go crazy with a $1200 RTX 2080. You could probably do very well with an RTX 2060 which you can probably find for around $300.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Thnkx for the second opinion, the more I learn the less I know ! ! !

Just ordered a ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER Overclocked 6GB Phoenix Fan Edition HDMI DP DVI Graphics Card (PH-GTX1660S-O6G) to compliment the build, there went any consideration for a nvme module.

Not to mention, most newer programs can use the processing power of a GPU, so I'd want dedicated GPU no matter what, but like Luna said, no need to break the bank there. I spend 300ish on mine and couldn't be happier. I can get 60fps at 1440, but only 30 @ 4k. But I game so little that is fine. I do some video editing (youtube, lol) and this thing rocks at that...

That said, I would still try to convince you to go NVME SSD. Top fo the line 512 can be had for 170ish, but you could go 960 EVO and save money and still have better performance than a regular SSD.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
Thnkx for the second opinion, the more I learn the less I know ! ! !

Just ordered a ASUS GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER Overclocked 6GB Phoenix Fan Edition HDMI DP DVI Graphics Card (PH-GTX1660S-O6G) to compliment the build, there went any consideration for a nvme module.

You can still add it down the road. You don't need the most expensive. I have at least 4 of the A-Data NVME drives between 3 different systems. Can usually find the 512gb on Amazon for ~$60-70. The speed is similar to the Samsung as long as isn't for an extremely large transfer.

Upvote 0
Ok, herre we go !

I have a real life and a job, so the build is going slow, only have limited time to work on it, I have the parts on the mobo and the mobo wired to the tower.

This mornings sales email had this in it so I went ahead of ordered it :

Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 64-layer 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS100T3X0C

https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-black-sn750-nvme-1tb/p/N82E16820250110

Upvote 0
Ok, herre we go !

I have a real life and a job, so the build is going slow, only have limited time to work on it, I have the parts on the mobo and the mobo wired to the tower.

This mornings sales email had this in it so I went ahead of ordered it :

Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 64-layer 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS100T3X0C

https://www.newegg.com/western-digital-black-sn750-nvme-1tb/p/N82E16820250110

NICE! That thing is gonna scream!

I actually scored a Samsung 32" 1440p 144hz gaming monitor for free and was excited, until I realized my Radeon RX580 OC 8gb is NOT up to the task, lol. Can't get 60fps at 144hz :'(

Reactions: ozonetrooper
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones