• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can connect to wifi but no internet. HELP PLEASE

D

Deleted User

I recently purchased an EM95X android box and I am having trouble getting internet access on it via wifi. If I connect it with an ethernet cable it works fine but when I connect wirelessly it does not work. I have tried resetting the router to the factory defaults but it did not help. I tried resetting the android box to it's factory settings. I tried both tkip and aes encryption but neither worked. I am able to connect to the network but I do not have internet access once connected. The problem is clearly something to do with the wifi but I haven't been able to figure out what specifically the problem is. The wifi works fine throughout my house with my computers and phones, it's just the android box that is having problems. I have tried DHCP and static ip on the android box but neither works. I'm wondering if maybe there is a setting or settings in the router that could be preventing the android box from gaining internet access? Or perhaps I am configuring something wrong? I tried the box at friends house earlier tonight and it worked fine when connected to his wifi so to me that says there is a configuration problem in my router but what could it be?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So since your other devices aren't having WiFi issues with your router and your EM95X is able to use a different WiFi network, it doesn't sound like there's a router configuration issue nor a EM95X issue. One thing I'm wondering is the location of your router and your set top box. Are they in the same room or are they in separate locations of your home? If so approximately how far apart? Also, where is your router located in general? If it's tucked away in a closet or sitting on a floor surrounded metal file cabinets, moving it to a more open spot will help extend its range.

Upvote 0
Well nuts, after all the resets and other things you've already tried the out-of-range thing was the only thing I could think of that might be the problem. What's puzzling is it works with an Ethernet cable but balks with your WiFi, but all your other devices are work with your WiFi.
Check the time on your EM95X, if it's not correct that will often create a problem with some online services (web certs). Also, what kind of Internet connection do you have (cable or DSL), and are you relying on an ISP supplied modem/router or do you use just the ISP's modem and you have your own separate wireless router? And are you using a 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz for your WiFi network?

Upvote 0
The time is correct. I had it configured to set time and date automatically. When I brought it to my friends house it connected to the internet and adjusted the time and date on it's own. At my place I have to manually set it because it wont connect to the internet and do it automatically.
I have cable internet. I have my own modem (Thompson TNDCM476) and my own router (TP-Link Archer C50). I'm pretty sure the Android box only has 2.4GHz

Upvote 0
(Props to you for picking that Thomson modem and TP-Link router, nice combination of hardware to run your LAN off of.) Try installing this Netalyzr app on one of your Android devices:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.berkeley.icsi.netalyzr.android&hl=en
Run a scan (will take a few minutes) and when it's done the results will list several aspects to your network -- NAT, DNS reliability, TCP and UDP, etc. Items showing a green bar are good, yellow something to look into, and red being a definite problem. Underneath yellow and red marked items there might also be possible solutions or fixes. Does anything stand out as suspicious?

Upvote 0
One thing you might want to look into is your ISP's DNS services, you might want to follow up on this and instead use some third-party public DNS servers instead. That 'might' be tied to why your set top box is getting a good connection to your router but still having issue with Internet access (but still it's puzzling why its only your EM95X having issues).

This DNS scanning utility, DNS Benchmark, from Gibson Research Company will scan for appropriate DNS servers available for your location, and rank them for speed. Pick at least three of the better ones and add them to your TP-Link router (there should be a setting to ignore the automatically supplied ones from your ISP and to instead use the ones you manually specify).
https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm
Another similar utility is from Google, NameBench:
https://github.com/google/namebench
You should also take a look at this DNS spoofability test to confirm the DNS servers you picked are safe:
https://www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm

(It's pretty common for a lot of people to just use Google's public DNS -- IPv4 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 or IPv6 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844 but note that they're not necessarily the fastest depending on your location. They are however reliable with very widespread availability.And also note that while all the ISPs log whatever traffic flows through their DNS servers, almost all the public DNS services are doing the same, some like Google to enhance its massive data databases, some just to comply with legal issues.)

Upvote 0
I was out of town for a few days so haven't had a chance to try anything until tonight.
I have tried with the google DNS servers, they also happen to be the fastest in my location but that did not work.
I spoke with TP-Link support and they weren't very helpful. I spoke with my ISP provider tonight and they were helpful but were unable to solve the problem.
When I had the box connected to my friends wifi, his router is considerably farther away from where the android box was then it is at my house and it connected and worked very well at his place so I would say it's not a range or sensitivity issue. Plus his router is a name brand I've never heard of, I actually can't even remember what make it is so I'm pretty sure my TP-Link is a better quality router than his. At my place it says the signal is "excellent" most of the time, a few times it has said "good".

The wifi is enabled and there is no option to disable the ethernet(I presume this is what you mean by LAN).

What do you mean by "sign in" to the router service?

When I had this connected at my friends house the only thing I did was connect to his network and put in his wifi password, I didn't have to change any settings or do anything special.

I'm going to go back to my friends and connect the box again and take screenshots of all of his router configuration pages so I can make a direct comparison to mine and hopefully something will stand out as different

Upvote 0
So here is an update.
Earlier today I went to my friends house and took screen shots of all of his router configurations and there were a couple things different that I noticed which I tried changing but still didn't help me connect at my place.
I also brought the android box to my parents house and tried it there. They have my old router which is also made by TP-Link and it worked fine there.
I would think that if it works with one TP-Link router with the default settings that surely it would work with a second TP-Link router.
I'm at a loss, I'm about ready to give up on this thing, I don't know what else there is left to try.
Does anyone have any other ideas?

Upvote 0
There is no where I can find in my router configuration pages about a limit to the number of devices able to connect at a time. When I am trying to connect the android box the only other devices connected at the same time are my pc and my phone. I know it can handle more than three devices at a time. My wife turned the wifi off on her phone during all of my troubleshooting because she kept losing internet access when I changed router settings/network names/passwords. So under normal circumstances her phone is connected and my PS3 connects and streams netflix without issue all at the same time.
I have tried renaming the network multiple times with different names.
The router at my parents house has intermittent wifi, thats why I purchased a new one. They dont use the wifi there regularly, it's just for when their grand children are over to connect their tablets so unfortunately swapping routers with them is not an option.
Also running an ethernet cable to this location is not an option. A friend of mine let me borrow some powerline adapters which I'm going to try if I can't get the wifi working. It's mind boggling to me that it works in two of the three places I've tried it and on one TP-Link router but not another.
At my friends place it connected and streamed just fine for approximately 15 minutes with no issues whatsoever and at my parents house I tried it for about 10 minutes and again no issues so even if this is a cheapo box it still appears to work just fine in at least two out of three places

Upvote 0
Your smart tv box is able to connect to wifi but says no internet. If this is the issue here is what you can try.
I believe your tv box is picking a wrong ip address range. So login to the router allocate a dedicated ip address for your tv, map the ip address to the mac address of the tv. So that every time you connect your tv to wifi, it gets the same ip. Ensure you are giving right DNS server name.

Upvote 0
Wow my friend I Feel You!!!!
iv got the X92 and have the same problem!!!
made me MAD!!!!! (for over a year) its june - 19 - 2019 and I fixed it just today

this is how to Fix:

after REBOOT, when you go and Update all Necessary apps.....
you have something that is called: "WIERLESS UPDATE" _ (should be in the "ABOUT DEVICE" tab.. I think)
ANYWAY...… DONT UPDATE IT!!!!!!!
ONLY UPDATE "DEVICE NEW FIRMWARE"
DO NO UPDATE THE WIRELESS FIRMWARE UPDATE!!!!

I think its actually updating the CARDS FIRMWARE and that was MY PROBLEM!!!!

Reactions: michealmickel059
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones