• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can I force my 2.2.2 device to use a specific cell tower?

nnickn

Jan 5, 2012
Unfortunately in my area it seems that one of sprints cell towers is broken, and my phone doesn't know what to do. Basically it finds the strongest signal, which is the broken tower and then acquires a 3G connection. The connection doesn't auctally work however, as web pages will never load, and the speedtest app reports communication issues. My phone seems to know there is a problem, and after about 20 seconds it will reconnect to a weaker signal tower that only supports 1X. That tower does work, as pages will load fine, but my phone refuses to stay connected to it. After about 20 seconds it will reconnect to the stronger broken tower, and then the cycle endlessly goes on, draining my battery in the process. Can I force my Optimus v with stock 2.2.2 to only connect to the 1X working tower?
Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones