• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Captivate Root

Upvote 0
go into Titanium Backup. It'll tell you right away.
the reason why i asked is because as soon as i "rooted" my device, i downloaded a wi-fi tethering app and it didn't work.

anyways, i tried downloading titanium backup and the app ran/made backups without a problem.

EDIT: btw, if anyone knows of a wi-fi tethering app that actually does work for the captivate, please let me know.

Upvote 0
Doesnt work for me. Keeps giving me Error 7 or something similar and aborts the update.
Rogers Samsung Captivate too, if it helps.

I had the same problem when using the update.zip file from How to Root Samsung Galaxy S- Tutorial. But when I downloaded it from this thread and renamed it to update.zip it worked fine.

Thanks so much chaoscentral and circazero!

Upvote 0
Hi,

I am pretty much a n00b to this rooting process and anything about this phone. I originally came from an Iphone 3G and bought this used captivate off a buddy of mine for 100 bucks. It came with the 2.1 update OS and i am noticing a lot of lagginess and unsmooth program transitions. I know this chip is pretty fast so was concerned and wanted to upgrade and root this phone. im looking at the "running processes" and my normal avail. starts really high (~50-90mb) after restarting the phone, but after normal uses.. it goes down to around 11MB + whatever services. Is that normal? (this is on the 2.1 update OS)

Anyways my understanding is you have to follow these directions to "root" your phone. My first question is which process is the most efficient? i have seen multiple ways of doing it, so I'd prefer to have the experts opinions.

My second questions is after you root the phone, do you have to then upgrade to the Froyo? How is that process done?

Lastly, does the froyo 2.2 OS fix the lagginess?

Thanks esp. since this question has possibly been beaten to death many times. But i just want to make sure I'm doing this 100% correctly.

-Tony

Upvote 0
I am pretty much a n00b to this rooting process and anything about this phone.

All the more reason to read the stickies in the forum. ;) They're made "sticky" for a reason.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ca...12-november-2010-4-30pm-central-u-s-time.html

On there you'll see a link to the Captivate FAQ, which is also in many users' signatures here. And if you'd done any searching before posting (always advised, since most questions are asked already), you'd find it mentioned in most threads. ;) Kind of hard to miss.

Anyways my understanding is you have to follow these directions to "root" your phone. My first question is which process is the most efficient? i have seen multiple ways of doing it, so I'd prefer to have the experts opinions.
Covered in the Captivate FAQ:
Root - CapFAQ

My second questions is after you root the phone, do you have to then upgrade to the Froyo? How is that process done?
There's no one upgrade to Froyo. There are dozens of unofficial hacked ROMs, all a bit different. Each with its own pros and cons, things that work and things that don't. You need to pick one then install it using its method.

This topic also is covered in the Captivate FAQ:
ROMs and Flashing - CapFAQ

Lastly, does the froyo 2.2 OS fix the lagginess?
In and of itself, not so much... but it does give a speed boost that when combined with the switching to ext4 from RFS (which is done in most of the unofficial hacked ROMs but is not formally part of Froyo) helps the lag issue a lot.

Lag is covered in... (you guessed it), the FAQ:

Lagfix - CapFAQ

Reactions: tonycchoi
Upvote 0
just one more quick questions for you. the samsung SGH-I897 is the captivate sold in the US. But is the SGH-I896 i believe is available with froyo in canada?.. that is avaliable for download. Is that OS compatiable with the I897's? if not... is it still not okay to use after rooting the phone?

Thx. Ill try to use the FAQ's more. hah

Upvote 0
Hello everyone. I just bought a used captivate and it was already rooted. I heard that if it's rooted, I can get free apps and free tethering. Would anyone tell me how to do both of those? please. and also does any one know what this kernel means: 2.6.32.9 hardcore@speedmod-i897-k12u-t4-500hz.
That means you have the SpeedMod kernel, it's a few versions back, but still a good,fast, battery-sipping kernel.

You can't get 'free apps' but you are able to install any app you want, you aren't bound by a carrier's restrictions. What ROM is installed? Menu/Settings/About Phone, then down the bottom, Build number.

Upvote 0
hey guys
seem to have a wee bit of an issue with the update.zip file root process...
this is the error i get:

E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Does anyone know what this is about? I was pretty sure that I put the update.zip file in the root folder but I have 2 questions:
1. can I do this on mac? I have windows too (partitioned HD)
if so, how do I know what the root folder is?
2. how do I fix this problem?

Thanks so much! can't wait to root!

Upvote 0
this is all fine and good, but does the version of the update.zip file not depend on the build that you're using? I tried this and still get error: /sdcard... somthing status 7 Installation aborted.

Which update.zip file works for build ECLAIR.UXJI2?
Kernel 2.6.28 root@sep-58 #2
Baseband 1896UXJI2
Firmware 2.1 update

on rogers Canada. I have the captivate. I went through 30 different sites trying to find out why I have this error- to no avail. Please help! :thinking:

Upvote 0
That means you have the SpeedMod kernel, it's a few versions back, but still a good,fast, battery-sipping kernel.

You can't get 'free apps' but you are able to install any app you want, you aren't bound by a carrier's restrictions. What ROM is installed? Menu/Settings/About Phone, then down the bottom, Build number.

build number: di11 igaf v5.6 Stripped. baseband version: I9000UGJK4

Upvote 0
hey guys
seem to have a wee bit of an issue with the update.zip file root process...
this is the error i get:

E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Does anyone know what this is about? I was pretty sure that I put the update.zip file in the root folder but I have 2 questions:
1. can I do this on mac? I have windows too (partitioned HD)
if so, how do I know what the root folder is?
2. how do I fix this problem?

Thanks so much! can't wait to root!

i read that you can't root your phone on mac (unless they changed this recently) and only on windows.

anyway, i had the same problem as you did when flashing the ROM. i found that you have to change the name to just update and not update.zip because the sdcard will read it as update.zip.zip ... i changed the name and it installed fine.

if this doesn't work, you can try to here
Getting your phone ready for the FroYo update.zip! - xda-developers to see if what you're looking for is there.

Upvote 0
i read that you can't root your phone on mac (unless they changed this recently) and only on windows.

anyway, i had the same problem as you did when flashing the ROM. i found that you have to change the name to just update and not update.zip because the sdcard will read it as update.zip.zip ... i changed the name and it installed fine.

if this doesn't work, you can try to here
Getting your phone ready for the FroYo update.zip! - xda-developers to see if what you're looking for is there.

hey dude
thanks for the response. I tried it on windows- same issue. the name thing wasn't the problem either, it's not zip.zip, just update.zip.

I'll try the FroYO thing, really running out of solutions here

Upvote 0
A little bit of reading would help.

Captivate - Bay_wolf's AIO Toolbox

is this process supposed to help me root?
I read the entire website and no where does it state whether or not this is the case...?

I emailed him/her asking whether it will acknowledge the status 7 installation aborted error to see whether I'm eligible as a guinea pig.

I'll try it though, maybe after a bit more research

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones