• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] bootloop with roms

sktr021

Nov 3, 2010
Giving up..:(

Rooted with S-OFF, have Hboot 1.58, with 4EXT recovery.

Tried and tried to get MeanROM to work , but I would get to the lock menu and it would just reset to HTC homescreen. Did Superwipe, cleared everything, followed the guidelines.

I need some help, I just want a good rom with great battery that runs fast. I would love to move to JB, i have it on my nexus and it is awesome, but I can live without it on my 3vo.

Thanks DonB, I tried to read the guide to downgrade but it is really confusing. Also, there are so many conflicting things said that it just makes it seem very difficult. I have rooted a few phones now, but the 3vo is the first to cause so many issues.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0
Okay, I would suggest downgrading to the whole 2.17 Base rather than just changing the hboot but that's up to you. If you just want the hboot you can do that too...

Head over to this post:
http://androidforums.com/5221192-post3.html
and grab the 2.17 base from the Gingerbread section. Rename and delete everything in front of PG86IMG so that you are left with PG86IMG.zip

Please read my instructions (I will copy/paste them) on how to do this and how to avoid getting stuck in a bootloop when you downgrade:

First let me start by stressing something important! Verify the integrity of the download by checking the file against its md5 checksum that I provided for each file. You can use a free software such as MD5 Checker to do the job. Or if you'd like to check on your phone without a pc, download MD5 Checker for android from the play store. If for whatever reason your download gets corrupted, using a corrupted file can brick your phone! So use an md5 checker to verify the integrity of the file, it's quick and easy and can keep your phone safe!

1. Download File. Check md5 for a match ;)

2. Place the file on the root of your sd card (not in any folders).

3. Rename the file to PG86IMG.zip

4. Reboot into bootloader.

5. When asked to update, say yes by hitting volume up.

6. When it's all finished, hit power button to reboot.

7. *Important! After booting up, immediately rename or delete the file.

*The presence of the file on your sd card will prevent you from entering recovery in an emergency situation. It's nothing to panic about, but if you get caught in a bootloop, you will have to manually remove the file using a pc and card reader or another phone. That said, to avoid bootloops and being stuck with no way to boot up and no way to enter recovery, plan ahead. If you are on a rom that requires hboot 1.58 and you flash hboot 1.5, you will hit a bootloop and not be able to access recovery. You would then need to remove the file or flash a compatible rom through fastboot connected to a pc.

Okay. Now with instructions and warnings out of the way, I will give you my personal preference on how to flash a different hboot that will be incompatible with your current rom without getting a bootloop and having to use a pc to fix the situation.

Follow steps 1-3 above. Stop! Now, instead of rebooting into the bootloader, we are going to bypass the bootloader by rebooting directly into recovery. Some roms have this feature built in. I recommend downloading something like ROM TOOLBOX from the play store. It's a great app to have if you are rooted. Rom Toolbox has a built in rebooter menu (with widgets) that allows this function. Alternatively go get QUICK REBOOTER from the play store. So once in recovery, wipe and flash the rom normally. Once finished, continue to steps 4-7.

This will allow you to do everything completely from your phone and avoid getting stuck. Remember, this is just for when you are changing hboots that will be incompatible with the rom you are already using (ie: ICS to GB). Just following steps 1-7 normally is fine for just flashing radios or switching between different GB hboots etc.

If you download that file and follow those instructions, you should be able to successfully flash and boot your rom.

Reactions: DonB and sktr021
Upvote 0
thank you so much that is a simple breakdown on what to do.

Is it possible to flash a jb rom with that base? From what I've read, I believe I could.

Also, after I download and install following your instructions, which roms will be compatible? Or better yet when looking at roms, how can I tell what to look for.
More than likely once I find one i like I wont be making alot of switches.

Thank you guys so much

Upvote 0
thank you so much that is a simple breakdown on what to do.

Is it possible to flash a jb rom with that base? From what I've read, I believe I could.
Yes you can! I am on this base myself and flashing JB just fine!

Also, after I download and install following your instructions, which roms will be compatible?
Basically any rom except for stock ICS roms. A lot of ICS roms are built on the GB base and some are made to work on either hboot.
Basically you can flash any rom out there except for ICS roms that require hboot 1.58.
Or better yet when looking at roms, how can I tell what to look for.
More than likely once I find one i like I wont be making alot of switches.
You shouldn't need to switch much. I personally don't care for ICS so I have been fine on hboot 1.50 for a long time. Most of the ICS roms will work on this hboot anyway though so really you shouldn't have much reason to switch.

Thank you guys so much
You're welcome :)

Let me just say, you definitely should verify the MD5 provided with the download. And any time you switch hboots. A corrupted download could cause a bad flash, which can mean permanent brick. Without a bootloader, you can't do anything, so always take extra care when changing bootloaders to ensure everything is right!

Upvote 0
You're welcome :)

Let me just say, you definitely should verify the MD5 provided with the download. And any time you switch hboots. A corrupted download could cause a bad flash, which can mean permanent brick. Without a bootloader, you can't do anything, so always take extra care when changing bootloaders to ensure everything is right!

IT WORKED!!! You guys are so awesome. That was so much easier than I thought it was going to be. Thank you so much dude

Reactions: DonB and Brian706
Upvote 0
Is it normal that it says i'm locked again?

Also, while i've got you here, to flash a new kernel, would I just flash like a rom? I havent even really looked at them yet

Yes! After completing s-off it returns the bootloader to LOCKED status.

Just so you know, with a stock locked bootloader, you can't use fastboot commands. I would recommend unlocking it as it gives you more options to recover from sticky situations.

Alternatively you can flash the juoponutbear patch 1.50.5050 hboot which is a modified version of the stock hboot you are on that allows you to use fastboot commands.

Unlocking and Locking is easy now that you are s-off though.
Head over to this thread:
http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3d-all-things-root/662615-how-change-your-lock-status-flag.html

Download the unlock_bootloader.zip and flash through recovery. It will unlock the bootloader. To ever lock again if needed, just flash the lock_bootloader.zip.

And kernels are flashed through recovery like a rom. At least the ones I've used. You should wipe cache/dalvik before flashing the kernel.

Upvote 0
IT WORKED!!! You guys are so awesome. That was so much easier than I thought it was going to be. Thank you so much dude

Awesome!! Glad you have it working :)

Now that you know how to use a PG86IMG.zip, you can also flash recovery that way as well. I always keep a PG86IMG version of 4ext recovery handy so if I ever need to run an RUU I can easily flash recovery and then flash a rom without needing a PC! :smokingsomb:

Reactions: sktr021
Upvote 0
Any reason why you still use v19 for pacman?

Because I haven't updated :p
I'm picky. I don't like to flash roms until I have time to set everything up. I did flash it last night to check it out for a second. Being on 4.2.2 looks a little different :p. I will probably update tomorrow night when I have extra time to play!!

Reactions: sktr021
Upvote 0
Awesome!! Glad you have it working :)

Now that you know how to use a PG86IMG.zip, you can also flash recovery that way as well. I always keep a PG86IMG version of 4ext recovery handy so if I ever need to run an RUU I can easily flash recovery and then flash a rom without needing a PC! :smokingsomb:

So the PG86IMG.zip will basically automatically load in the bootloader regardless what file you actually are using, as long as it is renamed that? Seems smart. So just take the recovery img, and rename it to that if I get stuck

Upvote 0
So the PG86IMG.zip will basically automatically load in the bootloader regardless what file you actually are using, as long as it is renamed that? Seems smart. So just take the recovery img, and rename it to that if I get stuck

Not exactly. If you extract the PG86IMG.zip that you downloaded from me you will see that there is a text file in there named android-info.txt

It contains information needed to flash through the bootloader. You may or may not have noticed before but every time you boot into the bootloader it checks for the presence of a PG86IMG.zip. If it finds one, it asks to update. This is why you don't leave it on the root of your sd card. If it's there, you can't select recovery on the bootloader screen.

But that android-info.txt is the same (can change certain parts but we don't need to get into that) and you could copy the txt file from that and zip it up with a recovery.img and name the zip PG86IMG and you could make your own :)

Here is an example of my 4ext recovery one:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/100923173/4ext_1.0.0.5.rc9_PG86IMG.zip

Upvote 0
Don't feel back I haven't flash either, I have been so busy at work, I haven't even thought of flashing it yet, and along with PA running fine for me I have no rush to flash ;) :p

Because I haven't updated :p
I'm picky. I don't like to flash roms until I have time to set everything up. I did flash it last night to check it out for a second. Being on 4.2.2 looks a little different :p. I will probably update tomorrow night when I have extra time to play!!

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
Sweet so you went with Pacman?? It's a nice rom. I'm definitely not a flashaholic. I get everything just how I like it and if I'm happy, I like to stay. I do want to try pac 20 though, I just am dreading starting from scratch again...

yep i sure did, and so far so good. I'm the same way, I really don't like changing it too much, and I use my phone all day for my job so I really have to have something stable with working features. So far so good...

Upvote 0
Let me know if BTooth works with is first before I flash it this weekend.

yep i sure did, and so far so good. I'm the same way, I really don't like changing it too much, and I use my phone all day for my job so I really have to have something stable with working features. So far so good...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones