• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] ROM,root and android version questions (GSM phone)

Murloc992

Lurker
Apr 17, 2012
Hello, I would like to get some help with ROMs, rooting and upgrading android and is it worth it.

I've got my evo3d and so far I am loving it. Got quadrant, ran a test and it's 2.2k quadrants. Pretty good I think. But then I saw a video online of EVO3D with a Synergy/ICS roms. They got 3.6-3.9k quadrants! That's insane and almost double as mine!

So what I have done to my droid so far. I have unlocked it using the HTC webpage, so my bootloader says unlocked and I have flashed in SuperUser using SuperOneClick. I did nothing else.

My phone ROM specs:
Android 2.3.4 GingerBread
HTC Sense 3.0
Software version 1.20.401.8
BootLoader 1.49.18

So now a few questions:
What ROM shall I pick for best performance with intense cpu/gpu usage?
What else do I need before getting a new ROM?
How can I replace the kernel of my phone so I can overclock it?

Thanks in advance!

First, I would like to stress that I have no hands-on experience with any GSM ROM. I have a CDMA device. So, with that in mind:

The first thing you need to do is get familiar with fastboot. You used fastboot to unlock your bootloader, and you'll need to continue to use it to flash ROMs, unless you get 4EXT (found here: [TOUCHCOVERY] ORIGINAL | 4EXT Recovery Touch v1.0.0.5 RC1 with SmartFlash for s-on - xda-developers) with it's new S-ON Unlocked mode. If you want to do things manually, I have a guide that will show you some easy steps (although it's meant for those that still need to unlock): http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all...ms-kernels-using-fastboot-updated-3-26-a.html The second post will give you GSM device instructions.

The second is choosing a ROM. You can find a list of ROMs here: EVO 3D GSM Android Development - xda-developers

I would recommend these two ROMs:

[ROM]LeeDrOiD 3D V5.4[KERNEL] V5.4 2nd April |Aroma|Tweaks|Fast|Stable|Beats - xda-developers

[ROM] - [3/21/2012] - MikRunny v1.13 - [Sense 3.5 | 2.3.5 | Tweaks | Odex | GSM] - xda-developers

Both have what you're looking for in a ROM. But there may be another ROM or two in there that suits your needs. They both have OC'd kernels built in. My guide (that I linked) will show you how to flash them.

And remember, Quadrant numbers are just that, numbers. I had a slick setup that was ultra fast and Quadrant told me that my device registered 1500. But if you're set on using a benchmark app, I'd recommend AnTuTu. Anything over 5000 is wicked quick.

Upvote 0
I've just grabbed antutu and gave it a go. Results go 4.9k-5.1k, seems it goes into wicked fast section you mentioned. :? So the question would be, is it worth it to get a rom? Or shall I stay with default and wait for HTC to ring a bell on ice sandwich update? And is it possible to overclock default ROM? I am interested because I am using a lot of cpu power sometimes. :?

Upvote 0
I've just grabbed antutu and gave it a go. Results go 4.9k-5.1k, seems it goes into wicked fast section you mentioned. :? So the question would be, is it worth it to get a rom? Or shall I stay with default and wait for HTC to ring a bell on ice sandwich update? And is it possible to overclock default ROM? I am interested because I am using a lot of cpu power sometimes. :?

You can flash an OC kernel onto the stock ROM and be able to OC it. I just don't know of a good kernel for GSM devices. But the XDA thread list should have something.

Upvote 0
Aaaand.. I have bricked my phone. So I had to reinstall the stock RUU.. Took good 8 hours untill I've managed to reset the phone..

I was unable to load the video before, or else I would have told you to avoid that kernel. IIRC, RCMix is a CDMA only kernel. :(

I did find this kernel:

[KERNEL 4-14-12][ROM 4-4-12][Anryl] shooter_u (DE-)SENSE 3.0 stable OC - xda-developers

And check out this thread for ROMs:

[INDEX] HTC Evo 3D GSM Development *FULL LIST* - 17.04.2012 - - xda-developers

Upvote 0
I am really afraid to do anything for now.. But another question pops up. Is it worth it to upgrade to one rom I've seen for GSM, android 4.0.3 ice sandwich and HTC sense 4.0? And for example if I want to root my phone again, can I back up my phone, unlock it with HTC method and then restore it or it will not work? :?

Upvote 0
I am really afraid to do anything for now.. But another question pops up. Is it worth it to upgrade to one rom I've seen for GSM, android 4.0.3 ice sandwich and HTC sense 4.0? And for example if I want to root my phone again, can I back up my phone, unlock it with HTC method and then restore it or it will not work? :?

Now that you're unlocked with HTC method, you don't need to unlock again, unless you choose to relock. Or you can go one step further and do the S-OFF HBOOT downgrade, but I would suggest you hold off on that until you get comfortable with doing all this stuff.

You can make a backup of your system in recovery. Most recoveries call it "Backup", but users will call it "NANDroid" or a "NAND backup". It's the same thing. Make a backup, this is very important!

Then you could download and flash that GSM ROM with ICS and Sense 4.0. Wipe everything (factory reset, clear cache/dalvik). If you don't like the ROM, or it doesn't work, you can restore your previous backup and it's like nothing happened.

You really should look over my guide on how to flash and root. It'll walk you through everything you need to do.

Upvote 0
Now that you're unlocked with HTC method, you don't need to unlock again, unless you choose to relock. Or you can go one step further and do the S-OFF HBOOT downgrade, but I would suggest you hold off on that until you get comfortable with doing all this stuff.

You can make a backup of your system in recovery. Most recoveries call it "Backup", but users will call it "NANDroid" or a "NAND backup". It's the same thing. Make a backup, this is very important!

Then you could download and flash that GSM ROM with ICS and Sense 4.0. Wipe everything (factory reset, clear cache/dalvik). If you don't like the ROM, or it doesn't work, you can restore your previous backup and it's like nothing happened.

You really should look over my guide on how to flash and root. It'll walk you through everything you need to do.

Thanks for the answer. About the locking. I've had to relock(fastboot oem lock) it to reflash it with stock RUU. So my question mainly was about backing up everything now and THEN unlocking it, since unlock wipes the data, and restoring it back, is it possible? Does backup require ROOT?

By the way, is it really necessary to go S-OFF(whatever it stands for) to flash a kernel for a new rom?

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the answer. About the locking. I've had to relock(fastboot oem lock) it to reflash it with stock RUU. So my question mainly was about backing up everything now and THEN unlocking it, since unlock wipes the data, and restoring it back, is it possible? Does backup require ROOT?

By the way, is it really necessary to go S-OFF(whatever it stands for) to flash a kernel for a new rom?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not 100% confident in this, but I think you can just do fastboot oem unlock and you should be fine with no data wipes. I wasn't able to find a temp root so you could make a backup, so a wipe might be unavoidable. Sorry :(

And no, S-OFF (it means security off, instead of S-ON which is security on - this allows you to flash radios and other things) is not required. You just need to access recovery through fastboot (fastboot boot recovery.img) to flash kernels properly. Or use 4EXT recovery (recommended!). However, S-OFF is preferable to S-ON unlocked. Once you get more comfortable with rooting, you'll see why. Then feel free to ask about getting S-OFF and I might be able to help you with that. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones