• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CLOSED][kernel][ICS & JB 4.2]'Triggerfied' kernel

CM or AOKP-based rom?

• CyanogenMod

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • AOKP

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm looking for a couple of volunteers to blind test a kernel. I made some changes that will be very exciting for all of you if they work. If you are interested, post here and I will pm you a download link.

I'm looking for feedback on the general feel, speed, and how it performs during everyday use situations. Basically if you notice anything different from how V1.0 runs.

Upvote 0
ill take the test kernel and see if i should add it to my update today

PM'ed you. Also, please don't add it into anything until I get feedback from you and dcaugust. This is a dirty kernel (meaning that changes haven't been pushed to my github) and I want to see if my changes made a difference before releasing it.

Reactions: Biotic
Upvote 0
Is this for 4.1 or 4.2 JB? Either way send me a link via PM. I'll test the S#!t outta it . :)

It was for 4.1. And I actually ended up being able to try it on my Spec but it doesn't boot. :( It's a sad day for me because I was really hoping to be able to release a JB kernel for you guys. Maybe I'll have to try compiling with a different toolchain...

Upvote 0
It was for 4.1. And I actually ended up being able to try it on my Spec but it doesn't boot. :( It's a sad day for me because I was really hoping to be able to release a JB kernel for you guys. Maybe I'll have to try compiling with a different toolchain...

Well when you get the next one up send it to me and I'll test it out. Thanks again for doing what you can to release custom kernels for our phone. I'm lovin all this support

Reactions: ortrigger
Upvote 0
Well when you get the next one up send it to me and I'll test it out. Thanks again for doing what you can to release custom kernels for our phone. I'm lovin all this support

I'm downloading a new toolchain right now. Should have a test kernel by this afternoon. Look for a PM from me in a few hours.

Reactions: brianmaedche
Upvote 0
Thoughts on the LG supplied source:
I've tried compiling it with the recommended 4.4.3 google toolchain as well as linaro, but neither boots. The iproj source compiles and boots without an issue. Both have been placed (with abootimg) into the same boot.img to avoid that being an issue. LG claims that they were able to get their source to boot, but have not responded to my asking them for a copy of the zImage they produced. The only thing I have not tried yet is a line by line scan of the two source codes to find out what has changed. To be honest, I'm leaning towards the display drivers being an issue as inserting the LG drivers into Iproj, cause a non-boot. This could be attributed to the fact that I may have missed a dependency needed some where else. I'd appreciate hearing what you're thoughts are on the matter. For what it's worth, PG is having the same issue with the Connect source code.

Upvote 0
Thoughts on the LG supplied source:
I've tried compiling it with the recommended 4.4.3 google toolchain as well as linaro, but neither boots. The iproj source compiles and boots without an issue. Both have been placed (with abootimg) into the same boot.img to avoid that being an issue. LG claims that they were able to get their source to boot, but have not responded to my asking them for a copy of the zImage they produced. The only thing I have not tried yet is a line by line scan of the two source codes to find out what has changed. To be honest, I'm leaning towards the display drivers being an issue as inserting the LG drivers into Iproj, cause a non-boot. This could be attributed to the fact that I may have missed a dependency needed some where else. I'd appreciate hearing what you're thoughts are on the matter. For what it's worth, PG is having the same issue with the Connect source code.

Maybe we should set up a time to talk it over in the irc. It seems like no matter what I do it won't even get to the point of initializing adb.

Reactions: cac2us
Upvote 0
I have a couple of test kernels built if anyone would like to test them. I'm working on some tweaks to ondemand and deadline in the ICS kernel. I also have a 4.2 kernel built that I would like someone to test. It uses the AnyKernel updater method from Koush instead of the method I've been using.

Here are the links:
ICS
Dev-Host - triggerhappy_modgovs_prealpha2.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

JB 4.2
Dev-Host - spec_4.2_akprealpha1.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

PS. A word of caution on the 4.2 kernel: It is untested and I do not know if it boots or not. Do not flash it if you are not comfortable with adb. To those that do try it out: please try and obtain a logcat during the boot process. If you can get one, it may allow neph and myself to figure out why our JB kernels aren't working.

Upvote 0
I have a couple of test kernels built if anyone would like to test them. I'm working on some tweaks to ondemand and deadline in the ICS kernel. I also have a 4.2 kernel built that I would like someone to test. It uses the AnyKernel updater method from Koush instead of the method I've been using.

Here are the links:
ICS
Dev-Host - triggerhappy_modgovs_prealpha2.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

JB 4.2
Dev-Host - spec_4.2_akprealpha1.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service

PS. A word of caution on the 4.2 kernel: It is untested and I do not know if it boots or not. Do not flash it if you are not comfortable with adb. To those that do try it out: please try and obtain a logcat during the boot process. If you can get one, it may allow neph and myself to figure out why our JB kernels aren't working.

Flashed the 4.2 kernel over TDM's CM10.1 Pre4.

Appears that it booted fine. Doesn't look like my original kernel version in phone info... But can't really remember, so I'm guessing it took.

Reports as:
Kernel Version
3.0.31-cyanogenmod+
build@localhost.localdomain #1
Fri Feb 22 04:49:57 UTC 2013

The logcat ran too large for paste bin, here it is though

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1659941/kernel.txt

Good luck.

I didn't keep it installed though, as I don't want to introduce variables to providing feedback on TDM's pre releases.

Upvote 0
Update: A 4.2 kernel is on it's way. I'm also probably going to release a cm10.1 rom that is slimmed down to be more aosp-ish. It will include the performance tools but a lot of the extra apps and stuff that are in cm10.1 will be gone. Does that sound like something that would interest you guys?

Honestly I don't see where cm is really all that bloated but the kernel sounds awesome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones