• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root CM13 beta (Marshmallow 4 Volt) Q/A

Ok so this ROM just started heading south for me. I wanted to install SuperSU since Titanium Backup didn't support the built in root binary. So I tried to update the binary through TWRP and got a boot loop and then TWRP didn't want to boot up so I plugged the phone in and let it cool down. I was able to restore my CM11 backup. I was really hoping to use CM13 as a daily driver but without me being able to restore all my data and without xposed (I think) I'll just have to wait then
In theory you can use es file explorer or something else other than titanium to backup/restore your data and I'm pretty sure someone else (I think in the original cm13 thread) said they have xposed working.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeltaXzombies
Upvote 0
For a "test" build its quite solid. I noticed..
  • Home button LED (battery/notification) does not work
  • Soft button LED does not work
  • Is there no setting for quick settings panels??
  • Any plans on adding kernel features?
  • HD/any video, stutters.
Again, its solid. A daily for sure, but minor bugs. A very good job. I mentioned phone heat with CM on our Volt and this one didn't even heat up at all..

Upvote 0
In theory you can use es file explorer or something else other than titanium to backup/restore your data and I'm pretty sure someone else (I think in the original cm13 thread) said they have xposed working.
Also one more thing, I tried flashing a SU zip someone made for CM13 and when I got to the LG boot screen there was this box in the corner that said something along the lines of "Secure Boot Error: Can not boot"
Either way I'm going to wait till a bug fix build (hopefully soon) As the other guy said, this ROM has tons of potential

Upvote 0
I installed this a few hours ago and have been looking for issues. I have to say, this is a slick ROM. Can confirm that this ROM works with RingPlus (3g at least)

I installed beta Slim gapps 6.0 right after installing the ROM and I have not had any app crahses or anything. I have entered every settings menu and can't find anything that doesn't work.

Thank you so much devs. This really brings our volt new life. Cm13 is as smooth as a melted marshmallow.

I'm scrapping the port from the l90 and am going to try and help with some of these bugs in this ROM. It has so much potential. The least I can do is continue to be a device tester.

I am definitely going to use this for my daily driver now. I had no issues with core functions except for:
- Camera green tint
(Can't be fixed to my knowledge. Totally device dependent)
- no vibrate

All the necessitys work such as

• YouTube 480p (HD?) Video
  • SMS
  • Calling
  • Web
  • GPS (Works great for me.)
  • Double tap to wake
  • Night mode - Blue light filterfilter
This is just me personal opinion but there isn't much wrong with this ROM for me at least. Works great. I will report back tomorrow with some overnight standby tests on battery life.

I would recommend this ROM to anyone who is on CM12.1

EDIT: Netflix works perfect. Didn't work in CM12!!

Well I have successfully tethered my volt while using 3G on the CM13 ROM! Worked for 2 hours flawlessly! This ROM rocks!

Upvote 0
First off, great work on getting this working on the Volt! I loved the CM 12.1 ROM but could not keep data stable enough to make it my daily. I would love to give this ROM a good try too, but I'm currently unable to as I cannot get data working at all.

I have Sprint Prepaid, so I have to edit the APN settings just to get any data working on any ROM in the first place as the Sprint APN fix does not work. I usually just find the Sprint LTE internet APN and change the APN itself from n.ispsn to n.sprpre.ispsn select it and "everything works." I tried doing that with this ROM, but unfortunately, everytime I get into the APN settings I get the error "Access point name settings are not available for this user." and I cannot see any APNs or even add any APNs. I googled the error and tried about every option to get it working that I saw, but I keep getting the error and no way to change any APN settings.

I had to go back to a ROM that works since this is my daily, but if anyone has any ideas to try, I'd be happy to reflash when I've got some time to test some things.

Upvote 0
First off, great work on getting this working on the Volt! I loved the CM 12.1 ROM but could not keep data stable enough to make it my daily. I would love to give this ROM a good try too, but I'm currently unable to as I cannot get data working at all.

I have Sprint Prepaid, so I have to edit the APN settings just to get any data working on any ROM in the first place as the Sprint APN fix does not work. I usually just find the Sprint LTE internet APN and change the APN itself from n.ispsn to n.sprpre.ispsn select it and "everything works." I tried doing that with this ROM, but unfortunately, everytime I get into the APN settings I get the error "Access point name settings are not available for this user." and I cannot see any APNs or even add any APNs. I googled the error and tried about every option to get it working that I saw, but I keep getting the error and no way to change any APN settings.

I had to go back to a ROM that works since this is my daily, but if anyone has any ideas to try, I'd be happy to reflash when I've got some time to test some things.
The APN backup & restore app should work. It's on the play store

Upvote 0
I installed this a few hours ago....I installed beta Slim gapps 6.0 right after installing the ROM and I have not had any app crahses or anything........
Before and after flashing the ROM, what were your exact steps? What wipes were performed? Your steps are obviously MORE complete/thorough. Just curious to your approach, plus could prove beneficial to others.

Cm13 is as smooth as a melted marshmallow.
:p:D That's a sticky subject.

Upvote 0
Before and after flashing the ROM, what were your exact steps? What wipes were performed? Your steps are obviously MORE complete/thorough. Just curious to your approach, plus could prove beneficial to others.

:p:D That's a sticky subject.

Haha, sure, no problem
  • Download CM13 ZIP to external SD card/internal storage
  • Boot into TWRP
  • Go to "Wipe" and selected Dalvik cache, system, and data. There may have been more that I
    selected but I DID NOT wipe internal storage or external storage.
  • Go to "Install" and select CM13 ZIP. DO NOT BOOT DEVICE YET!
  • After CM13 is completed, hit "Install" again and install Slim GAPPS 6.0 ZIP
  • After that is installed, boot device up normally.
  • Go through setup process making sure to select "US-English" as language. It was set to "US-Canadian" as default.
  • Proceed to install System app remover and remove un-needed system apps.
If you want me to go into more detail just let me know.

Upvote 0
Also guys, I have a thought on the whole official CM builds.

Someone mentioned that we have to squash some of the major bugs to get official dev support for CM on the volt. Among those was listed the green camera tint.

The ugly truth is that the green camera tint is nothing software related that can be fixed. It is not worth complaining about the green tint if it means we get NO official CyanogenMod support.

Therefore, the best thing we can do is report to CM devs that there is no green tint. It is just device dependent. I mean, we wouldn't be lying. Some volts with the other camera part don't have the issue at all.

Also, being that I have the green tint, I have found a solution. Someone else may have already found this out but the green tint goes away if you put your finger over the camera lens and then take it off after a second. Don't know why but it works. Perfectly for me. It also goes away if you switch to front facing camera and then switch back.

Regarding CM13, I would like to report for you Snapchat peeps that the front camera works perfectly and does not have a green tint.

This was big news for me. I kept getting a green tint on CM12.

Upvote 0
The APN backup & restore app should work. It's on the play store
That worked, thank you! I now have full LTE and no data issues like I saw on 12.1. It also took a bit for the APN to take... I had to restore the settings twice. On the second restore I got LTE working but it would drop the connection and reconnect after 5 seconds... rebooted a couple of times and now I have a solid LTE connection with no drops.

Reactions: dvdavid888
Upvote 0
If you want me to go into more detail just let me know.
Thanks for the details. I just figured since the results were varying, it would be helpful to get on common ground with instructions. Maybe it would alleviate some problems and errors others are receiving. Hopefully this clarifies things for them.

Only question I have, so as to complete your answer, is "at what point did you flash the APN fix?"

Someone mentioned that we have to squash some of the major bugs to get official dev support for CM on the volt.
Not only do we need to do that, but most importantly we need to be able to maintain the build for our device.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feedback on CM13:

Flashing went fine. Everything working so far. Really nice. Liking the "new" advanced features in settings, very useful.
What's with "Demo Mode" (tapping build date 3x's)? I didn't try it.

Issue(s) and Quick Fix(es)
  • Setup wizard loops, restricting you to setup only. (Quick fix - reboot, to home screen)
  • Uninstalling system apps leaves remnants in the launcher (default system icons). (Quick fix - clear data for Trebuchet, in app manager)
Bug (anybody else?)

• 32 GB SD card, has been used to even flash this CM13.
    _20160421_151904.JPG
  • In Total Commander the SD card shows up as a USB drive and is accessible.
    _20160421_152124.JPG
Is there a fix/solution/steps to resolve this? (Aside from the obvious of transferring SD card to the PC, "setup" from first pic, then transferring back.)

EDIT
  • Unmounted/mounted, no luck.
  • Pulled the SD card, no luck.
  • Powered off/removed SD/booted up/powered off/inserted SD/booted up, no luck.

Reactions: DeltaXzombies
Upvote 0
More Feedback
  • Boot time seems extra long and even worse if cache had been wiped
  • After modules for Xposed framework are installed the reboot almost seems like a soft brick, but it finally finishes
  • Xposed and modules successfully installed. (**See below)
  • CM Theme engine works great
  • Tried installing Viper4 per developer website instructions, no go. Finally got :p Viper4Android working. (After 7 hours of reading and trial & error)
    Screenshot_20160422-015801.png
**Xposed modules I'm using
Screenshot_20160421-215204.png

Screenshot_20160421-215211.png

@Bad_MOFO_33 your one bad mofo. Thanks for the great work on this build. Also thanks to anyone else that has made this CM13 ROM possible.

Upvote 0
More Feedback
  • After modules for Xposed framework are installed the reboot almost seems like a soft brick, but it finally finishes
  • Tried installing Viper4 per developer website instructions, no go. Finally got :p Viper4Android working. (After 7 hours of reading and trial & error)View attachment 104070
View attachment 104068
View attachment 104069

@Bad_MOFO_33 your one bad mofo. Thanks for the great work on this build. Also thanks to anyone else that has made this CM13 ROM possible.
I noticed that DisableFlagSecure module, was that the reason why I wasn't able to save screenshots at all because I didnt have that?

Reactions: HasH_BrowN
Upvote 0
More Feedback
  • Tried installing Viper4 per developer website instructions, no go. Finally got :p Viper4Android working. (After 7 hours of reading and trial & error)View attachment 104070
View attachment 104068
View attachment 104069

You can try using the LiveBoot app from chainfire to see what's holding it up at boot
EDIT
On second thought it probably won't work with the built in root (needs SuperSU which we can't get)

Reactions: HasH_BrowN
Upvote 0
I noticed that DisableFlagSecure module, was that the reason why I wasn't able to save screenshots at all because I didnt have that?
You should've still been able to take screenshots, this just allows screenshots in all areas of Android. The other module, screenshot delay remover, makes screenshots almost instantaneous.

You can try using the LiveBoot app from chainfire to see what's holding it up at boot
EDIT
On second thought it probably won't work with the built in root (needs SuperSU which we can't get)
I agree with your edit.

I can not call or send messages but i can receive messages only
Try to flash the APN fix for your carrier again. If still not working, start from scratch. Flash ROM, GApps, and APN fix; then wipe dalvik and cache. Reboot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones