• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Compiling ICS for Breakout

Rayburn96

Jul 3, 2012
Hi, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64-bit on my system and downloaded the source for Android 4.0 ICS. I have the build environment configured and everything. How do I add the drivers for the Breakout into the ROM for graphics, wifi, 4G, etc.? Is there a way to mount the current ROM and extract them from there, or will there be compatibility issues?

FYI my Breakout is rooted and everything, and I have made a backup of my current ROM.

Thanks for any help.

Well thanks to you I got ICS compiled perfectly, did what the guide told me to do, moved the boot.img from the stock ROM, updated the build.prop, copied the drivers from /system/lib/hw and followed the guide to a T. But I flashed the ROM to the phone, and I get the normal Pantech splash, then black screen. The display stays on. CWM Recovery still works and I can charge the phone fine. I have a big feeling it's something simple.

Any ideas from you or someone else? Is there a way to output debug data to the screen or to a file on the SD card? I know about dmesg in busybox but I was wondering if I can output that somehow so I can see it.

Thanks for any more help!

Upvote 0
its harder than that. it needs the pantech radios. you basically need to build and write a pantech breakout ics rom for verizon from scratch. theres zero pantech devices that run ics so you have zero source code to go off of for it. not saying its impossible but it aint as simple as it seems.

Upvote 0
Well that's discouraging seeing I've already spent a few days on it. There was a post on another forum about someone who was fixing to release an ICS ROM within the next few weeks for it and asked everyone what apps they wanted for it, but this was back in March and apparently he got busy. So I figured it was easy.

I still wish I had some sort of debug output though.

Upvote 0
yea no matter what kind of rom u use its gonna have to have the radios for the phone in it. also most phones will use the android default setup wizard. the whole touch the android to begin screen. the breakout wont. if u delete the verizon setup wizard the phone stops working. i dunno how the wrote the phone but its just weird.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the encouragement, I still haven't given up yet. :)

I don't think there is any source code for the Broken Out ROM but I have been looking at its contents closely. Does anyone know if there is a way to write a log to somewhere like to the screen or to a file on the SD card? Without any debug information I'm just guessing pretty much. If I could atleast see some kind of error message, I may be able to get somewhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones