• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot

Bootloader is unlocked

Flashed what the OP told me to flash, didn't work so I went off-tutorial and flashed the latest Superuser from their website, ARM.

Didn't work so I restored and I'm back to the ROM that OP posted, with no superuser now, panicked because the last step froze but I turned it on and it was fine.

Also, yes, I used SDK-Tools from my PC.

I highly prefer to do sort of a soft-root, no wire-trick, only going to be needing root access.

To clarify, when you say you went back to the ROM that op posted, are you talking about the jmz ROM? If so, that ROM already us super user.
If not, it may be easier for you to just flash that ROM.

Also, follow the guide from the second post. The first post is a little abbreviated while the second one goes into more detail.

Reactions: Megatoaster
Upvote 0
Yep, I used the jmz ROM

Where should I start in the second tutorial then? I have it unlocked, I've got a recovery menu that I can load zip roms from and stuff. I can remove bloatware right now and that's good because I'm rooting to try and get more battery life/performance. If you have any suggestions for that too I would like to know.

So should I go back (since I'm back to where I backed up my ROM) into recovery, clear cache, delvik cache, everything and then isntall the jmz ROM again? The first time I installed it, I got superuser and I updated it, I think it worked, it said in the app menu 'superuser' but it doesn't now. The only problem was that I did a root check and it said I didn't have root access and I couldn't use superuser and allow any apps to root.

3:32
Flashed the ROM anyway because I can reverse it if needed, stock OS, wants me to update superuser. Last time I did without using superuser in the first place and I had problems with it so I will just wait for any further instructions.

Upvote 0
Yep, I used the jmz ROM

Where should I start in the second tutorial then? I have it unlocked, I've got a recovery menu that I can load zip roms from and stuff. I can remove bloatware right now and that's good because I'm rooting to try and get more battery life/performance. If you have any suggestions for that too I would like to know.

So should I go back (since I'm back to where I backed up my ROM) into recovery, clear cache, delvik cache, everything and then isntall the jmz ROM again? The first time I installed it, I got superuser and I updated it, I think it worked, it said in the app menu 'superuser' but it doesn't now. The only problem was that I did a root check and it said I didn't have root access and I couldn't use superuser and allow any apps to root.

When I said to use the second guide, that assumed you'd be starting from scratch. You're obviously further along than that, but I am still not sure where you are. The second post has more elaboration, so I would recommend it to anyone just starting out. You don't need to go back to step one of the second post, but I suggest you read through the second post before you move forward.

Now, to figure out where you are...

Are you on a backup of your STOCK ROM, or are you on the JMZ ROM? If you're on the JMZ ROM, and you don't have Super User, then I can't really advise you further other than to flash that ROM again...as I can't imagine being on JMZ, and NOT having Super User.

Did you make a backup as soon as you installed a recovery? Did you make this backup BEFORE you flashed JMZ? Did you restore that backup at any point? If so, then you're not currently on JMZ, you're on your original ROM.

The fastest thing you can do is flash JMZ again, but make sure you wipe all your partitions. If you install 4EXT as your recovery, there's a single click that wipes everything you need to wipe before flashing a new ROM. If you aren't on 4EXT, I can't help you with any of the recovery stuff as that's all I've used. (I did use TWRP once, but that was very early on). As soon as I made my first nandroid backup, I switched to 4EXT and haven't looked back.

EDIT:

I see you've done a few things while I was typing all that stuff above. Do you have the most recent superuser.zip file? I don't recall where I got it from, but the one I have on my SD card is
Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip.

If I recall correctly, you can flash this through your recovery, you don't need to use SDK-Tools...but again, I am sorry to not know for sure and can't remember what I did. I say flash it through recovery...as it sounds like you have a backup that you can restore right?

Upvote 0
I kind of lost track of where you are, but if want to restart and flash the RUU, you can follow my guide here. You will need to relock the bootloader before flashing the RUU but you can use the unlock bin file you already have in Step2.

Don't forget to download and flash the OTA after the RUU while you are still stock everything and it might be worth taking a nandroid in Step2 right after flashing 4EXT recovery so you have a backup of the stock ROM updated by the OTA.

There's no need to do Step3 if you don't want S-OFF, but now would be the perfect time if you plan to do it at all since the ROM will be stock from the RUU.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
Did you make a backup as soon as you installed a recovery? Did you make this backup BEFORE you flashed JMZ? Did you restore that backup at any point? If so, then you're not currently on JMZ, you're on your original ROM.

I backed up directly after making the recovery, before flashing JMZ rom.
I restored that backup after superuser wasn't working, I flashed JMZ again now and it says Superuser gained root access and it lists it in apps

BUT

For some reason no other apps can access root, like I downloaded a root checker and it says I don't have it. I'm kind of lost.

Upvote 0
I have a Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip inside my ROMS folder which I tried flashing AFTER the JMZ earlier but someone said Superuser came with JMZ so I didn't flash that separately. Basically I just updated it through google play and it says it's working fine and has super user under root access apps.

Root checker just says I don't have root access and I need that for apps like adblock and custom removal stuff

Weird thing though, when I was running completely stock ROM, it would immediately say I don't have root access, now with this, it takes a few minutes with a thing saying it's taking more time to check. I THINK something with superuser should pop up and say Grant this app root? But that's not popping up and that's only what I think is supposed to happen.

Upvote 0

I backed up directly after making the recovery, before flashing JMZ rom.
I restored that backup after superuser wasn't working, I flashed JMZ again now and it says Superuser gained root access and it lists it in apps

BUT

For some reason no other apps can access root, like I downloaded a root checker and it says I don't have it. I'm kind of lost.

Download this file "Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip" from here

Superuser

Put it on your SD card, then boot into recovery, and choose install from zip, or flash from zip...whatever your recovery calls it.

Then, install that zip file. It's the latest version of SU.

You should be updated and ready to go. Test out superuser with the checker app, and let us know how it went.

I am glad to hear that you know how to restore your backup...this almost sorta means you can't mess things up too badly, as you have something to go back to. :D

EDIT: You can also follow RamJet's post that will start the procedure all over again.

Upvote 0
Not sure if you'll see the edit I made so I will just post it in a second post before proceeding.

(Taken from edit):

Root checker just says I don't have root access and I need that for apps like adblock and custom removal stuff

Weird thing though, when I was running completely stock ROM, it would immediately say I don't have root access, now with this, it takes a few minutes with a thing saying it's taking more time to check. I THINK something with superuser should pop up and say Grant this app root? But that's not popping up and that's only what I think is supposed to happen.

I'm using Root Checker by JOEYKRIM
and Adaway from Dominik Schurmann

Maybe those are not supported or I'm just overthinking this.

Anyway, last time when I had JMZ and this exact thing happened, I flashed superuser and then it wasn't allowed root.
I'll try it again but I'm just going to wait for a response first just in case.

Also, I used that same exact .zip in case you thought I used a different one.

I should be able to understand every step you want me to do, I've done a lot of similar things like rooting a 1001 psp clipping that IC04 and I'm in college with computer science and networking, I just never tried anything with android. Once I get this down I won't be able to stop though I'll probably end up here helping other people out and trying out other things XD.

Upvote 0
Not sure if you'll see the edit I made so I will just post it in a second post before proceeding.

(Taken from edit):

I'm using Root Checker by JOEYKRIM
and Adaway from Dominik Schurmann

Maybe those are not supported or I'm just overthinking this.

Anyway, last time when I had JMZ and this exact thing happened, I flashed superuser and then it wasn't allowed root.
I'll try it again but I'm just going to wait for a response first just in case.

Also, I used that same exact .zip in case you thought I used a different one.

I should be able to understand every step you want me to do, I've done a lot of similar things like rooting a 1001 psp clipping that IC04 and I'm in college with computer science and networking, I just never tried anything with android. Once I get this down I won't be able to stop though I'll probably end up here helping other people out and trying out other things XD.

I actually never flashed that superuser zip on the jmz ROM, perhaps that's causing a conflict? I didn't use jmz at all. I flashed superuser on my own stock ROM after unlocking the bootloader and flashing a recovery.
Perhaps try going back to your backup and flash the zip to that?

Upvote 0
Okay, so instead of anything superuser, because I have so much trouble with that, I went back and got my backed up stock OS, booted that and then flashed the latest SuperSU, restarted and it works fine.

I guess my phone just didn't like superuser at all and using SuperSU worked 100% perfectly. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't ******* EVERYTHING up anyway and hopefully if someone else was having my problem they'll try out SuperSU instead.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone, First I want to say thank you to everyone being so supportive with all help in all things.
Secondly, I am afraid I am in over my head and even after going to the step by step instructions, I fear I lack the basic understanding which really seems like second nature to most of the others trying to complete this task.
Unfortunately, I must say, for the first time that I miss having someone with better understanding for commands and how to direct them!
You all gave it the college try and for that I thank you so much!!!
:thinking: Talk to you soon, Thanks again,
Diana

Upvote 0
once i get to step 4 it says error devivce not found but i have done everything correctly and i have the drivers installed??

If you are sure you have the drivers all situated, then there are only a few other things it could be.

-Make sure USB debugging is enabled in your settings
-Try a different cable and/or usb port
-not likely, but a bad charging port on the phone

Upvote 0
If you are sure you have the drivers all situated, then there are only a few other things it could be.

-Make sure USB debugging is enabled in your settings
-Try a different cable and/or usb port
-not likely, but a bad charging port on the phone

well i installed htc sync and then reinstalled it wouldnt that have taken care of the drivers. And if it makes a difference im on windows 8

Upvote 0
well i installed htc sync and then reinstalled it wouldnt that have taken care of the drivers. And if it makes a difference im on windows 8

Ahh yes, windows 8. Many people have problems with windows 8!
I have seen ramjet post some alternate drivers (or something) for Windows 8 but can't remember where to find them. I will send him a message and ask him to come take a look! :)

Upvote 0
Sorry i have another problem again in step 4 im already in bootloader on the phone and its still connected when i type "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" into command promt
it hangs on "waiting for device"?? thanks for the help. I have never had to go through such a crazy process just to root a phone before lol.

Are you in fastboot mode? Does your phone screen say FASTBOOT USB in red letters?

If it is just on the main bootloader screen select fastboot by using the volume keys to navigate and the power button to select fastboot.

or type adb reboot bootloader into the command prompt and that should put you right into fastboot usb mode.

Upvote 0
Are you in fastboot mode? Does your phone screen say FASTBOOT USB in red letters?

If it is just on the main bootloader screen select fastboot by using the volume keys to navigate and the power button to select fastboot.

or type adb reboot bootloader into the command prompt and that should put you right into fastboot usb mode.

No i had fastboot shut off. But thanks i said screw my computer cuz it had too many issues im using my friends wich runs windows 7 hopfully ill be good:D

Upvote 0
No i had fastboot shut off. But thanks i said screw my computer cuz it had too many issues im using my friends wich runs windows 7 hopfully ill be good:D

Just to clarify something, HTC refers to two different and distinct things as fastboot. There is an option inside the ROM to enable to disable fastboot. It's under SETTINGS/POWER. You want this one disabled for pretty much everything. It's more like sleep mode (hibernate) in a Windows environment. It allows you to boot up faster as it doesn't fully turn the phone "off".

The FastBoot that Bryan is referring to is a function of the bootloader.

Upvote 0
hey i want to root it, i was wondering does anyone is having isues now to root it?.
if i do this whole process but instead of flashing the stock rom or su patch(what is it btw?), can i flash cm10 doing the exact same thing as step 7?
does anyone bricked his phone while doing that? and i heard about a unbrick project which actually may work. i dont have the phone yet but i want to read this much times as possible so i wont do something stupid.

i alraeady rooted the lg optimus slider , but never flashed any rom exept the stock one

Upvote 0
hey i want to root it, i was wondering does anyone is having isues now to root it?.
if i do this whole process but instead of flashing the stock rom or su patch(what is it btw?), can i flash cm10 doing the exact same thing as step 7?
does anyone bricked his phone while doing that? and i heard about a unbrick project which actually may work. i dont have the phone yet but i want to read this much times as possible so i wont do something stupid.

i alraeady rooted the lg optimus slider , but never flashed any rom exept the stock one

It's very difficult to brick this phone.

To answer your question, you will not be able to just flash CM10 at step 7.
CM10 requires a downgraded hboot. You have to complete the optional s-off via the wire trick to downgrade your hboot. Once you've done that, you can flash CM10 :)

Upvote 0
It's very difficult to brick this phone.

To answer your question, you will not be able to just flash CM10 at step 7.
CM10 requires a downgraded hboot. You have to complete the optional s-off via the wire trick to downgrade your hboot. Once you've done that, you can flash CM10 :)
ok thank you but, once did all these steps do we need to i dont know stupid question here but, do we need to remove the other rom or something?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones