• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot

Actually using Titanium Backup you can restore user apps and data between different roms, what will get into trouble is trying to restore system apps between roms. Usually when you update an already installed rom your apps and settings will remain. As for s-on being safer that's not entirely true, while it may prevent you from flashing something that you shouldn't have it also limits some of your recovery options if things go wrong. Read up and if you're unsure of anything just ask away. Good luck, OB

Upvote 0
'What do you mean by system apps?

How does s-on limit some recovery options?

These are handy to know things for the future. :)

User apps are apps that you download. System apps are ones that came with your phone or are built into the rom you flash. You can easily see system apps vs user apps with titanium backup or rom toolbox.

It is suggested to use 4ext recovery if you are s-on because it has a feature called smart flash that will allow you to flash a rom that has a kernel. Otherwise you have to (I believe) Flash the boot.img through fastboot with command prompt. Just makes flashing roms easier. S-off is worth it though.

Upvote 0
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought thats how it was. Was just making sure.

I think Im going to try out the harmonia ROM, And later down the line I might take a look at the Mobster ROM. Only thing keeping me from going straight to the Mobster ROM is the blue theme(Notification icons etc.) I kinda dont like the blue feel and I want to keep the ROM theme more red and grey/black to match the phone casing if possible. Just the way I am. Unless anyone knows a way to change the theme color in the mobster ROM? I would be going to that right away if that is possible(I dont think it is but hey I have to ask). It seems to be more powerful and tweakable than harmonia. I also like the dark themes on most apps that I use, Especially google voice.

Ill wait for this last response before I touch anything. Then its off to try not to mess anything up by accident! :D

Upvote 0
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought thats how it was. Was just making sure.

I think Im going to try out the harmonia ROM, And later down the line I might take a look at the Mobster ROM. Only thing keeping me from going straight to the Mobster ROM is the blue theme(Notification icons etc.) I kinda dont like the blue feel and I want to keep the ROM theme more red and grey/black to match the phone casing if possible. Just the way I am. Unless anyone knows a way to change the theme color in the mobster ROM? I would be going to that right away if that is possible(I dont think it is but hey I have to ask). It seems to be more powerful and tweakable than harmonia. I also like the dark themes on most apps that I use, Especially google voice.

Ill wait for this last response before I touch anything. Then its off to try not to mess anything up by accident! :D

MidnightROM has a white status bar theme with a blue circular battery icon as well.
Go here:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2042186&page=12 if you want to check out different themes but your status bar will remain the same.

Upvote 0
Okay, Well... I seem to have ran into a problem already. I am trying to do step 4. After entering adb reboot bootloader into command prompt, I am getting this: "error: device not found"

I followed all previous steps down to the dots, Even watching the video to make sure I didnt miss anything. I dont understand what could be causing the problem.

I am using Windows 8 pro with media center and stock HTC USB cable.

Any Ideas?

Upvote 0
Those look quite interesting. I see a few that I like, But stupid question.. I dont see anything on that forum about how to install those. It only works with the MidnightROM? How exactly do you install those themes?

I think this is something down I will do down the road, Not quite yet. But still cool!

They are .apk files; meaning all you have to do is put them on your SD Card, use a file browser, click on them to install and change them in the Settings.

There are two sets of Themes there: one for Sense 3.6 versions (our stock Evo 3d version) and Sense 4.xx. The 3.6 Themes will work for Harmonia, Midnight, Mobster or any 3.6 Sense ROM.

Upvote 0
They are .apk files; meaning all you have to do is put them on your SD Card, use a file browser, click on them to install and change them in the Settings.

There are two sets of Themes there: one for Sense 3.6 versions (our stock Evo 3d version) and Sense 4.xx. The 3.6 Themes will work for Harmonia, Midnight, Mobster or any 3.6 Sense ROM.

Thanks for the info. I figured it was simple, But no instructions on that page was kind of scary. :thinking:

Still having problems getting past step 4. Any help?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I'd say try using windows 7, if possible.

Windows 8 and I haven't gotten ADB to work together...

So I use linux on my other laptop for my android works.

Well, I have my laptop dual booted with Win 8 and linux mint 13. I can just reboot and go into linux, But what is the procedure for doing this in linux? Can someone point me to a guide of how to do this that way?

What about a Windows 7 virtual machine in Virtualbox? I happen to have a copy of windows 7 set up, But Im not sure if it will work that way. or not.

Upvote 0
Well, I followed the guide on getting unsigned drivers working in windows 8, With no luck. It seems after I reboot, I never get the 2nd menu to disable driver signing checks. Seems like I am stuck for the moment until I figure this out.

Thanks for the link though!

Well, it was worth a shot.
Someone on here with more knowledge about this than me will chime in and you'll be up and running in no time.
Glad I could help out somewhat.

Upvote 0
Well, After a few hours of kicking my computer, I am STILL unable to install the correct adb driver in windows 8.

I have tried every solution I could find on google with no luck. Looks like I am out of luck until someone comes up with a way to sign the driver to work with 8 or comes forward with actual Windows 8 drivers. I have no way to access a different computer with Windows 7 installed, And I dont really want to mess with rooting my phone in a virtual machine and possibly screwing it up. Anyone have any advice? perhaps a guide on how to root in linux? :mad:

Upvote 0
I have tried every solution I could find on google with no luck. Looks like I am out of luck until someone comes up with a way to sign the driver to work with 8 or comes forward with actual Windows 8 drivers. I have no way to access a different computer with Windows 7 installed, And I dont really want to mess with rooting my phone in a virtual machine and possibly screwing it up. Anyone have any advice? perhaps a guide on how to root in linux? :mad:
Have you tried this guide?

ramjet73

Reactions: gothicnerd1033
Upvote 0
Holy S#@& it worked! I dont know how you found that, But it works! Finally I can get on with rooting.

Thanks so much! :five: I dont know why that didnt show up on google. I tried every search I could think of to find anything. You really saved me here. :D

Might I suggest maybe inserting this into the tutorial somewhere, For future rooters?

Ramjet saves us again!

Upvote 0
Okay... WTFFFF?!!?

Now I am stuck on step 5. My phone should be successfully unlocked. Now when I type adb reboot bootloader for the 2nd time after unlocking, I am getting a device offline error. It still shows up under adb devices. Is it safe to unplug the usb? Maybe a vol down+power reboot?

Edit: Nevermind. I powered down the phone and turned it back on. That seemed to work.

Upvote 0
Well, I have my laptop dual booted with Win 8 and linux mint 13. I can just reboot and go into linux, But what is the procedure for doing this in linux? Can someone point me to a guide of how to do this that way?

What about a Windows 7 virtual machine in Virtualbox? I happen to have a copy of windows 7 set up, But Im not sure if it will work that way. or not.

Anyone who talks like you do ought not have any issues with rooting. ;)

Upvote 0
Anyone who talks like you do ought not have any issues with rooting. ;)

Yes, I am pretty tech savy, But android is a whole new world I am just getting familiar with.

I managed to get my phone rooted after a few hours of trial and error, With a backup. Everything seems to be working and even rootchecker says I am rooted.

Thanks guys for all your help through this process!

My next step is to probably s-off, do the radio updates and such, and install the midnightrom ROM. Ive been reading some good things about it and it seems to be highly customizable, and alot of things still work like the 3D and such. Now that I know more about this, It seems to be pretty straight forward and easy to do. Just a little time consuming, but not ridiculously horrible.

Once again thanks for everything and hopefully I wont be back anytime soon! ;)

Upvote 0
If your phone already has the ota radio update and it's working well for you then I wouldn't bother switching radios, that was pretty much a prerequisite before the update. And if you're using 4EXT recovery with smart flash enabled or use fast boot for the kernel then you can still flash Midnight without being s-offed, although I still definitely recommend that you get it.
OB

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones