• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Complete Newbie's Guide to rooting and flashing Evo V 4G ROMs/Kernels using fastboot

I have NEVER had the displeasure of having to deal with such a travesty of a website.....ever.

Took me TWO HOURS just to GET to the screen where I enter the token code, and what happens? It says the length was wrong, then fails again......I am going to effing lose it soon..... :mad:

I know dude, I spent a similar amount of time last night. Over at XDA, they are saying there's a problem with the site. Apparently, it's not usually this bad.

Upvote 0
I know dude, I spent a similar amount of time last night. Over at XDA, they are saying there's a problem with the site. Apparently, it's not usually this bad.

seems like its down... looking into finding ways to unlock without the website.. will report back soon

edit:
here is a little something i found...
I can't guarantee that it will work and i dont want to be responsible for any damage...
its for the wildfire s but it seems to work for most htc devices...
just open the .exe file and the gui should lead you through the rest of the process...
do not try to use any of the commands other than unlock...
and for device, select the cdma version of the wildfire s...
again, this has not been tested before and chances are that it will not work...
but its worth a try if you dont want to wait for htc to fix its website...

download link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1336953&d=1348006025

got it from here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1576844
Make sure to thank the developer if it works...

Upvote 0
seems like its down... looking into finding ways to unlock without the website.. will report back soon
AFAIK getting a token from the htcdev website is the only way to unlock an Evo V 4G. Evo 3D users can use the hboot 1.4 downgrade method to go straight to S-OFF if they "double brick" with the Sprint ICS build installed, but that requires installing a GB RUU for the Evo 3D which I wouldn't recommend for an Evo V.

ramjet73

Upvote 0
AFAIK getting a token from the htcdev website is the only way to unlock an Evo V 4G. Evo 3D users can use the hboot 1.4 downgrade method to go straight to S-OFF if they "double brick" with the Sprint ICS build installed, but that requires installing a GB RUU for the Evo 3D which I wouldn't recommend for an Evo V.

ramjet73

edited my previous post... would that method work???

Upvote 0
edited my previous post... would that method work???
That link is just a zip file, but if it's the "one click" utility that was advertised as working on all HTC devices, I've tested that on the Evo 3D and it didn't work. When I reported the error I got to the OP he said the exploit it uses was patched in ICS so it probably won't work on the Evo V either.

There is also a Revolutionary method for going straight to S-OFF but that only worked on the 1.13 GB RUU for the Evo 3D.

Edit: I saw that you added a link to the thread so I checked that. It's not the tool I tested but I noticed there were several posts about the Evo 3D but it didn't look like anyone tested it successfully. If there were an alternative to htcdev unlock with the wire trick and the hboot downgrade that worked for gaining S-OFF on the Evo 3D I'm sure it would have been discussed on the XDA Evo 3D forums.

ramjet73

Reactions: davidmargolin
Upvote 0
I think they are working on HTCdev. I've tried it several times today and lately, it's onlyl taking like 15 seconds or so for each page to load (compared to the minutes it was taking last night)

I probably clicked through to the identifier token entry page in under 2 minutes...I was starting to get really excited...but in the end, I got the 173 error again...no joy :(

Upvote 0
I'm having a problem with SuperUser not being recognized.

I've followed all of the provided steps.. and unless I completely blanked it out this guide says that the odex stock rom has SU included. After running a root checker, however, SU is not detected and my phone is not rooted.

Does anybody have advice/assistance that they can provide?

Upvote 0
I'm having a problem with SuperUser not being recognized.

I've followed all of the provided steps.. and unless I completely blanked it out this guide says that the odex stock rom has SU included. After running a root checker, however, SU is not detected and my phone is not rooted.

Does anybody have advice/assistance that they can provide?

Did you actually flash the ROM that was linked? If not, you don't have SuperUser on there. I personally had trouble with this step as I decided NOT to flash that ROM. I ended up flashing SuperUser direclty via my recovery and it worked. If you go this route, you want the ARM version of the Superuser zip, not the x86.

If you did flash a ROM, which one? Please link to is and someone more knowledgeable than me can tell you if that version has SuperUser baked in.

Upvote 0
This is my experience on rooting the EVO V which may help someone later on. If you do not follow every step of the instructions, you will be lost, and you'll end up on google (or back here) like me.

I had decided that I wanted to run 4EXT instead of TWRP as my recovery. I also decided not to flash the ODEX ROM provided in the instructions either. This brought up some issues which I was able to resolve with some google-fu.

1. If you don't flash the ROM, you aren't rooted. Simple as that. The ROM flashing is what gives you SuperUser. I didn't realize this as it's not spelled out 100% in the guides, though the longer guide (post #2) briefly touches on this. Anyone who wants to skip the flashing of the stock ROM with SU enabled MUST flash the SU.zip file.

2. In order to flash the SU.zip file, you need a recovery. Remember how I decided NOT to install TWRP and instead, use 4EXT. Well, 4EXT can't properly install without BusyBox, and BusyBox needs SU permission to work. 4EXT also needs SU permission, so you're stuck there scratching your head wondering what the hell you did wrong.

I'll tell you what you did wrong, you didn't follow the directions to the letter. That's what :p

So I realized that I was just going to have to install TWRP as that's the one in the instructions. Some other ones may have worked, but I didn't go that route. I also asked a Guide in another forum if Recoveries will automatically write over each other. They do. The main reason I didn't want to install TWRP was that I thought parts of it may linger when I installed 4EXT on top of it. Apparently this doesn't happen. Sweet!

So I lost an hour or more of my evening trying to get it all sorted out.

3. Which SU.zip file do I need? Well, with google help I found the SU.zip files, but there are a few versions. Rather than assume, I then looked into it and determined that I need the ARM version, not the x86 version for the EVO V. Perhaps this tidbit of info can be added to the guide. If it's there and I missed it, then I guess I deserve the extra 15 minutes of wasted time sorting all that out. Also, it should be made clear that without flashing that ROM, SU isn't installed. Perhaps the wording in the guide can be elaborated on this point as well.

Once you get SU flashed, you can install BusyBox, and then move to 4EXT.

So this is where I am now. Rooted, S-ON, SU flashed, 4EXT as the recovery, and a backup made. I am contemplating obtaining S-OFF, and in the process of determining if I really need this.

I'll start a new thread about S-OFF questions as I articulate my thoughts on some of my concerns.

Reactions: toddkrill
Upvote 0
Having flashbacks to the mess this was the last time I did this. As before when I did my first phone I am getting the adb not recognized command alert. Even tried opening cmd right off of the sdk-tools folder. Cannot remember what voodoo I had to do the first time to get this to all work.

Make sure you don't have a subfolder inside the sdk-tools folder. When unzipping it, it may ask you where to save the files, and if you tell it to save the files on c:\sdk-tools you end up with the files inside an sdk-tools folder inside of the c:\folder. Perhaps it would look like this: c:\sdk-tools\sdk-tools\

also, when typing the command, are you at c:\sdk-tools as the directory?

Upvote 0
Rooting done. S-off redone. The fix all of the vm done. Now just waiting for the rom to flash and I will be a happy camper to be back where I was with a fully functional phone :^)

Edit: And back up and running Midnight J rom!! BTW thanks for the extra folder in sdk-tools thought. That was exactly the probably was it had unzipped to a folder in a folder.

All done in a little under 2 hours. Now to see if the wife will let me do hers.....

Reactions: Palmetto Fellow
Upvote 0
Ah, It appears that they have been taken down per this. Would any of these Sprint ROMs work? Or is there an alternate link for the ODEX VM stock ROM?

Thanks.

My advice moving forward is if you see a ROM or anything that you even think you may want, grab it and save it. You never know when something can happen.

It may not even be a manufacturer cracking down. It could be anything like your internet connection going down for a day, or the developer deciding to pull something from a hosting site. Maybe the hosting site goes down...or like me, you have to wait a few days for HTCdev to come online again just to get your unlock token.

If you even think you may root, follow the steps in the guide up to the part where you obtain your unlock token, and then submit to HTCdev. This way, when you decide to root, you'll already have the token handy, and won't need to rely on HTCdev.

Policies Change!

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

I am a fairly new android user(And new to these forums), And the HTC Evo V(Evo 3D) is my first android cellphone. I have been reading up on rooting my phone and I have a few questions I was hoping I could get answered.

1. My phone is currently activated and working through Virgin mobile. I have the 35 dollar a month 300 min and unlim texting+data. Will installing the super user patch cause me to lose my currently active service/phone number? What about installing other ROMs or even the ODEX/DEODEX ROM? Will that cause me to lose my service also? What are the available options out there that will allow me to use this as a cell phone still?

2. The link to get the ODEX/DEODEX Roms bring me to a directory listing on androidfiles.org showing the following: Evita, Express, Nabi2, PrimoC, Shooter, Supersonic, And Test. I assume I am looking under "Shooter" for the stock rooted ROM, But inside there, It shows some other options(CM9, CM10, etc.) What is the correct file I need, And how do you download the whole folder properly from that page?

3. After I root, If I decide to flash different ROMs, Will every time I change a ROM wipe my data/apps? Or will they all stay intact without having to redownload and reinstall apps? I understand when you first unlock it will wipe all data/apps, But I am wondering what happens between different ROM changes.

4. I see all this talk about downgrading/Upgrading Hboot.. What exactly is Hboot? What does it do? How do I tell what version I have? What is the pros/cons of the earlier versions vs the current versions?

I am planning on keeping the S-on intact, So if I do something stupid I wont brick the phone(at least for now).

I am sorry if I am asking questions that have already been answered. Any help on anything I have asked here would be greatly appreciated. I just want to do my homework and make sure I understand everything and anything I need to know before I do anything like this.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

I am a fairly new android user(And new to these forums), And the HTC Evo V(Evo 3D) is my first android cellphone. I have been reading up on rooting my phone and I have a few questions I was hoping I could get answered.

1. My phone is currently activated and working through Virgin mobile. I have the 35 dollar a month 300 min and unlim texting+data. Will installing the super user patch cause me to lose my currently active service/phone number? What about installing other ROMs or even the ODEX/DEODEX ROM? Will that cause me to lose my service also? What are the available options out there that will allow me to use this as a cell phone still?

I don't think you have a firm grasp on what rooting is or custom ROMs. But that's OK as you're in the right place :)Your service and phone number are unaffected by this. There is a higher order of tweaking which requires obtaining your MSL code. I am not 100%, but that's probably where the really core things are changed. Your phone number is probably in there. Other things in there are related to IP proxies, and general back-end communication stuff. You won't be touching any of that. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can elaborate. You will surely still be able to use it as a cell phone.

2. The link to get the ODEX/DEODEX Roms bring me to a directory listing on androidfiles.org showing the following: Evita, Express, Nabi2, PrimoC, Shooter, Supersonic, And Test. I assume I am looking under "Shooter" for the stock rooted ROM, But inside there, It shows some other options(CM9, CM10, etc.) What is the correct file I need, And how do you download the whole folder properly from that page?

That link had to be taken down due to HTC and some lawyers. You'll run across that thread at some point if you want the back story. Follow this thread and you'll see links to a different file hosting site with the ROM you want:

http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/680935-s-off-help.html

3. After I root, If I decide to flash different ROMs, Will every time I change a ROM wipe my data/apps? Or will they all stay intact without having to redownload and reinstall apps? I understand when you first unlock it will wipe all data/apps, But I am wondering what happens between different ROM changes.

Every new flash will wipe all user specific stuff including apps. You can make NANDROID backups of each ROM once installed, so if you want to change often, you don't lose your progress. Let's say you get a ROM to where you want it. Make a NANDROID backup and if you ever switch back to the ROM, you just restore that backup. Do this for any many ROMs as you want, but as for transferring stuff between ROMs, or having your saved game of Angry birds carry over, that's not going to happen. Also look in to Titanium Backup. If you use this, it will automatically help you restore your apps from ROM to ROM, but I think they are just automatically re-downloaded for you, all customizations are lost IIRC.

4. I see all this talk about downgrading/Upgrading Hboot.. What exactly is Hboot? What does it do? How do I tell what version I have? What is the pros/cons of the earlier versions vs the current versions?

Turn your phone off. Then hold down the vol - button and power until the phone boots up. It will boot to the bootloader, and you'll see your HBOOT version. You should also see LOCKED and S-ON on this same screen. To turn the phone on again, I can't recall if there's a reboot option in the bootloader, so you may have to pull the battery. It will boot up just fine the next time you turn it on. Don't concern yourself with downgrading the bootloader. It's generally easier to just get the unlock token from HTCdev. If you follow EVERY step of the newbie guide, you won't have any problems. Make sure you use the guide in post #2 as it has more in depth details. Not all of the links are valid perhaps, so you may need to use a little google to find everything, but it's pretty spot on.

http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-all-things-root/556788-complete-newbies-guide-rooting-flashing-evo-v-4g-roms-kernels-using-fastboot.html

I am planning on keeping the S-on intact, So if I do something stupid I wont brick the phone(at least for now).

I am sorry if I am asking questions that have already been answered. Any help on anything I have asked here would be greatly appreciated. I just want to do my homework and make sure I understand everything and anything I need to know before I do anything like this.

Replies are in RED

If you have specific questions about any steps, do what you can to search...perhaps follow the newbie thread for several pages. If you still don't get it, ask the community. This is a very helpful place, but sometimes you want an answer faster than anyone can give it. I've been there, done that. Don't do anything until you are confident in what's happening. There are videos too.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply.

Your answers have helped and sparked a few new ones.

If I was to flash a completely custom ROM, how would I know that the phone is still active with service? Is there any other steps I need to "Reactivate my current service" before I can place a call or will it work right out of the box after flashing the roms?(This part goes for both the jmz stock rooted rom and custom roms)

Also, Will I be able to add a time card through the phone or will I only be able to do that through the virgin mobile website?(Most likely a problem with a custom rom as the stock rooted rom should still have the "My Account" app and should work that way.)

Also, I did find the stock jmz ROMs from that post, Which was a big help.

Thanks for all the help and sorry for so many questions! This is definitely helping me alot though, :p

EDIT: Ive been looking at this harmonia ROM. Its basically the stock ROM with extra tweaks. Any thoughts on this Rom? Any other suggestions on better ROMs?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply.

Your answers have helped and sparked a few new ones.

If I was to flash a completely custom ROM, how would I know that the phone is still active with service? Is there any other steps I need to "Reactivate my current service" before I can place a call or will it work right out of the box after flashing the roms?(This part goes for both the jmz stock rooted rom and custom roms)

Also, Will I be able to add a time card through the phone or will I only be able to do that through the virgin mobile website?(Most likely a problem with a custom rom as the stock rooted rom should still have the "My Account" app and should work that way.)

Also, I did find the stock jmz ROMs from that post, Which was a big help.

Thanks for all the help and sorry for so many questions! This is definitely helping me alot though, :p

EDIT: Ive been looking at this harmonia ROM. Its basically the stock ROM with extra tweaks. Any thoughts on this Rom? Any other suggestions on better ROMs?

Your phone stays activated. Due to the ESN in the VM database.

As far as time card...I'd assume website...unless you use a stock ROM that still has that feature...I THINK you can call it in?

Harmonia is good, its a nice stock SENSE rom. It just depends what you want.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones