• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Customizing Notifications for SMS, Mail, Etc

Hi All,

I am coming from Blackberry and as such, new to the Android Community. On my Blackberry, I was able to make a different notification sounds for each event. For example, I have a different sound for each of my email inboxes, one for my SMS, etc.

It doesn't appear I can have different notifications sounds on the MyTouch 3G Slide, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

You can have different sounds for different things.. when your in the app get into settings and change the notification sounds.

Thanks! I was able to set a different notification tone for my SMS messages and GMail based on your suggestions. One thing I don't see is a way to have different notification for separate email accounts. For example, I have a work email and a Yahoo email that I have in the Mail app. As best I can tell, there is only one notification, not two separate sounds.

Thanks again!

Mike

Upvote 0
Thanks! I was able to set a different notification tone for my SMS messages and GMail based on your suggestions. One thing I don't see is a way to have different notification for separate email accounts. For example, I have a work email and a Yahoo email that I have in the Mail app. As best I can tell, there is only one notification, not two separate sounds.

Thanks again!

Mike

your welcome.. I haven't tried that with my email.. well my Gmail has one and then my Mail has another one.. but that is cause they come in on two different apps.

Upvote 0
your welcome.. I haven't tried that with my email.. well my Gmail has one and then my Mail has another one.. but that is cause they come in on two different apps.

Right - that is what I am looking for. I have two different email accounts in the email app. I was hoping to have a different sound for each email account in the email app.

Thank you again for the other help!

Upvote 0
I can't seem to find the spot on my Slide as to where I can change the notification tone for my email app? I use Windows Live Hotmail and I get the same tone that I get when I receive SMS...

I use an E-Mail app called K-9. It allows me to apply a different notification sound for all three of my email accounts. Gmail has its own app and sound. Thus, when I receive an email, I can tell by the sound which account it is from and it's relative importance.

Upvote 0
how can we access the sounds that we have downloaded to our phone? I know that they are all downloaded to the "ring tones" folder but I have downloaded a few to set for my alarm, sms and email but they don't appear on the list of sounds options.

I use RingDroid, and before I rooted, I just opened up the sound in the HTC Music player and just clicked Set As for Notifications and ringtones. But RingDroid can do all three, and it does them pretty well.
Oh, but if you just want to ACCESS them, well then you'll need an app like Astro or something.

Upvote 0
I use RingDroid, and before I rooted, I just opened up the sound in the HTC Music player and just clicked Set As for Notifications and ringtones. But RingDroid can do all three, and it does them pretty well.
Oh, but if you just want to ACCESS them, well then you'll need an app like Astro or something.

Hey!! Thanks for the reply! Actually... last night I figured it out! It is a matter of placing the shorter notification tones in the media folder located in the SD card

SD card >media >audio > notifications (these are all folders within the media one) and voila!

I had downloaded a few from Zedge but they had all saved in the ringtone folder automatically and so I just moved them to the media file =)

Reactions: Iliketrains
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones