• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data throttling

Why get a business account when apparently, VM both allows it and disallows it in one fell swoop?

All I can say is I am headed downstairs for some pie. Pie solves everything. and I'll return a call from a client.

Lol, I want some pie. Are you on an unlimited call plan? That is the only way I can see that restriction making any sense at all and even then as long as you aren't using the phone to excess I don't think they would look into it further. I know a lot of small/med business owners use personal cell lines as work lines.

Upvote 0
Now I do know my cousin who is a cop. Has a police phone and he has told me not to call that phone unless I can't get in contact with him. Granted I don't know if the dept or the carrier decision but he was very serious about it.

Not the same thing. Sure, a police issued phone should not be used for personal calls. I can understand that, certainly. I know people with corporate phones and they are for business use only.

Upvote 0
Lol, I want some pie. Are you on an unlimited call plan? That is the only way I can see that restriction making any sense at all and even then as long as you aren't using the phone to excess I don't think they would look into it further. I know a lot of small/med business owners use personal cell lines as work lines.

I am on an unlimited plan. I can use 2.5 or so GB per month before they throttle. So to answer your question, no, I guess I am not on an unlimited plan even though I am paying for an unlimited plan. The word Unlimited does mean that; Carriers redefined that term some time ago. Usually with an asterisk.

You are, however, missing some fine pie. Key Lime.

Upvote 0
But like you said with contracts its how each person interprets it. Same can be said about what each person thinks what unlimited means . Right? There is no right or wrong answer there. Your definition is just as right as what mine is. Sadly its who owns the ball that has final say.

Never had key lime pie. Had lemom marrange (sp) years ago

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I am on an unlimited plan. I can use 2.5 or so GB per month before they throttle. So to answer your question, no, I guess I am not on an unlimited plan even though I am paying for an unlimited plan. The word Unlimited does mean that; Carriers redefined that term some time ago. Usually with an asterisk.

You are, however, missing some fine pie. Key Lime.

I was talking about minutes not data in relation to the calling restrictions. I have 1400 and can't figure out why they care if my minutes are used for business or not ;) As for the data it is unlimited but after 2.5GB the speed in which you consume the data will be hindered ;) but I do feel your pain.

Mmm key lime is good. My personal fav is pecan...

Upvote 0
Well well well... THis should add some fuel to this fire:

Judge awards iPhone user $850 in throttling case - Yahoo! Finance

Apparently there is at least one judge who finds throttling to be in breach of contract.

It seemed the judge found that since tiered customers get 3GB unthrottled for the same price as this gentleman is paying for his unlimited, it was unfair to throttle him before the 3GB mark. Interesting judgement.

Edit: Well, You have just repaid me for the food thread sir pupkact. Ninja'd

Upvote 0
I am interested in how the judge got to that figure. If the guy uses on average 5GB per month how is he spending $85 on additional data monthly?

I also wonder how AT&T will react...appeal or cut his contract and charge an EFT? He admitted to breaking the contract so they would be within their rights.

I also found this comment interesting
AT&T spokesman Marty Richter said the company is evaluating whether to appeal. "At the end of the day, our contract governs our relationship with our customers," he said.
Shouldn't it not be that way, the contract is there but shouldn't the relationship between a company and it's customers be more than just a contract? To me that speaks a lot for customer service.

Upvote 0
Interesting, reading the rest of the article, not only was he hitting 5 to as many as 12GB per month, but he was racking up the data by tethering "illegally" and admitted such in court, and STILL walked away with a favorable judgement... This was a BAD ruling for AT&T, and for carrier contracts in general.

I missed that in the article I only seeing the 5GB statement.

Agreed it is a bad ruling for the carriers, I think AT&T almost has to appeal to prevent others from doing the same thing. But if they don't or the lose it I think the pain will be felt by customers more than carriers either with higher plans and less expansion of existing networks to boost older established areas. VZW only throttles 3G and almost all their expansion has been 4G so if they end up having to boost existing 3G networks where there is congestion it will hinder expansion and the cost will be transferred onto the consumer...I may be taking this a few steps too far...:eek:

Upvote 0
I missed that in the article I only seeing the 5GB statement.

Agreed it is a bad ruling for the carriers, I think AT&T almost has to appeal to prevent others from doing the same thing. But if they don't or the lose it I think the pain will be felt by customers more than carriers either with higher plans and less expansion of existing networks to boost older established areas. VZW only throttles 3G and almost all their expansion has been 4G so if they end up having to boost existing 3G networks where there is congestion it will hinder expansion and the cost will be transferred onto the consumer...I may be taking this a few steps too far...:eek:

well my saying 12 gigabytes based on what the judge said about 85 dollars a month

Reactions: Yeahha
Upvote 0
Score one for the rebels....

death-star-att-12.jpg

Upvote 0
Heres another interesting article (i am certain would get yanked if posted on attwireless forum). More of these cases need to get publicized. It seems there may be class action suits heading att's way if they continue forcing restrictions and alterimg services and not providing a customer tangible details to back up proof .

AT&T Customer Awarded $850 In Throttlng Law Suit

Boy was I late with that link!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones